• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ranjiz's guide to be a successful 3D Mario

Ranjiz

Smash Apprentice
Just a start for now. I'll be upgrading from time to time.

What is this??

That's right, "It's-a-me! Mario!"

Don't tell me, we're brining Mario back?? From Super Mario RPG?!

But for those people who don't know who this short, chubby, and Italian carpenter with a red hat and a moustache is (yeah right like anyone who doesn't know who this little dude is), he is regarded as a hero in the Mushroom Kingdom. He is also known as the Jumpman because he has the odd physical quickness to crush and defeat his enemies such as Bowser and Smithy.

"WooHoo!"

Don't be too confident with Mario; it's smart to be defensive sometime but do not be too aggressive. Mark my words. Quoted in Super Mario Rpg game, "Mallow: Who do you think you are, Bruce Lee? You can't just go in there with your fists flying!"

Here's an example of a video I found on youtube: Mario Ditto
As you can see, Bo X7 was way too aggressive with his Mario in that particular match and as a result, he wasted a couple of his stocks when he had the chance to win that match.

Let's start how to portrayal our Mario to the best he can be!

"Let's a-go!"

Classic Mario

Fire Mario

Blue Mario

Yellow Mario

Black&White Mario

Green Mario

Dash Attack - 9% and vertical of knockback trajectory

It comes out pretty quick. Don't use it so often because you can trip and be open to your opponent's attack easily.

Neutral A,A,A combo (Jab, Jab, Kick) 3%, 2%, 4%

This is a very well-known combo through the series of Mario in video games. Personally, I use it a lot though there are better combos, for instance, jab, jab then down smash.

Front Tilt - 8%

This is meant for combo or to get some space after you use this and then use fireball to pressure your opponent. Moreover, it's pretty quick so use it as to rack your opponent's damage ratio.

Up Tilt - 7%

This is one of my favorite move to start a combo. In fact, it's much better than Up Smash because for one reason, it's faster and the another reason is because it looks cooler! It has potential to kill at high percents. (maybe 180% depending on one's heavyweight)

Down Tilt - 5% or 7% if the opponent's in the air

One of the moves to start a combo as well. This also comes out pretty quickly! No lag move so far that we have reviewed!

Front Smash - 14-23% depends if the move hits as sweetspot

Though, it has some lag, this is your killer move. Personally, I don't use it as much as I should have because I just think there are better moves to use.

Down Smash - Front has more knockback. 15-21% Behind - 12-16%

I... love this move. No, really. Opponents tend to roll and dodge, thus I get confused. However, when I use this move, I don't have to worry about where to hit because it can hit at both side!! It's a kill move at not too high percents but at quite right.

Up Smash - 14-19%

Fast, fast, fast!! Use it, use it, use it. This is a kill move.

N Air - 10% or 5% if after inital

Down Air - 1%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 7%

Front Air - 12-13%

Spike? Anyone? No? Yes! Use the meteor smash to spike your opponent down.

Back Air - 12%

Short hop. ANOTHER QUICK MOVE!!

Up Air - 11%

Fast...

Fireball (B) - 5%

It... stuns!!! Approach with it.

Super Jump Punch (UP B) - 5%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 3%

What a great recovery move... It's quick too.

Cape (SIDE B) 8% on the ground and 6% when Mario's in the air.

Who doesn't love this move? This is a terrific move to confuse your opponent while spiking. There are many possibilities of combinations with this move with other moves to K.O. your opponent. Cape your opponent's recovery!

FLUID - Down B - 0%

It's easy to find the opportunity to charge this move if you master the basic of dodge. Anyway, this is a great move to create space and not just that, it's an awesome move combined with cape when edgeguarding.

Grabs

Headbutt - 3%

Up Throw - 8% vertical

Down Throw - 6% vertical

I prefer this throw than others because it's to start your fantastic fast combo.

Front Throw - 9% diagonally up

If you are near the ledge and the possibility to K.O. your opponent at somewhat high percent, then use this throw or to edgeguard after this throw.

The classic Back Throw - 12%

Use back throw when your opponent's damage ratio is high.

Ledge Attack

Up Taunt

Side Taunt

Down Taunt

acojan

Smash Apprentice
its not a guide... i think....
probably just to show what mario's moves looks like...

if it was an attempt at a guide then it is a FAILURE

Ranjiz

Smash Apprentice
Please pardon me for my incomplete guide. I am upgrading it at the moment, please be patient. I want this to be successful and useful for everyone who will be maining Mario.

???????

Smash Journeyman
I'll start off with the fireballs:

Fireballs are one of Mario's more spammable projectiles and are used for approaching your opponent, limiting how your opponent can approach you, and to help link up attacks (This can be done by letting a fireball hit first so you can follow up with an attack or attacking while a fireball is about to hit your opponent to combo). Fireballs are most often used while short hopping for maximum effect (Doesn't make the fireballs bounce too high and allows you move forward or back a bit since you're in the air when you use it).

*If this is a little hard to read I'll separate the sentences*

Kidlat

Smash Apprentice
How do you prevent Mario from popping his head while doing D-tilt?

acojan

Smash Apprentice
popping his head ? omg that would mmeann --- he would be headless......
headless mario would rock but then his usmash would stink

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Here's an example of a video I found on youtube: Mario Ditto
As you can see, Bo X7 was way too aggressive with his Mario in that particular match and as a result, he wasted a couple of his stocks when he had the chance to win that match.
? i won that match...

Ranjiz

Smash Apprentice
what? you did? but according to the video, you lost in both matches. correct me if i'm wrong? i'm just using that as an example.

Top Bottom