• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Random Chaingrab Question

Hipstarr

Smash Rookie
I've been practicing chaingrabbing upthrow against Fox/Falco and I've notice it's a lot easier for me to use the Z button. I usually use Shield+A and AFAIK that is the preferred method for most. Is it common to use the Z button for chaingrabbing or am I just very slow with Shield+A?

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I'm almost 100% sure that the Z button grabs always come out faster. You've gotta be kinda fast with how you press the button, but it's entirely optimal to press that, especially when you're JC grabbing.

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
i honestly have no idea why you would use l and a to begin with

FEOwain

Smash Apprentice
I think I might be the only person who double taps Z to get out a quick pummel

Hipstarr

Smash Rookie
i honestly have no idea why you would use l and a to begin with
I use it because often times Z will bring up the light shield for me and not grab. Also I find it easier to grab out of shield with A. That could just be me though.

DeadPigeon

Smash Apprentice
I use it because often times Z will bring up the light shield for me and not grab. Also I find it easier to grab out of shield with A. That could just be me though.
This means you pressed z too early. your method lets you be more slack with the timing because you can buffer shield

Last edited:

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
If you are pressing z and getting light shield, then you are pressing it while still in throw lag. Adjust your timing and make sure you don't press it until after you see Marth's arm come down. Also after like 17% you need to be using jump canceled grabs which is easier by just pressing Y and Z

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
The Z button is just a macro for shield+A, so both methods are just as fast providing that you press shield+A on the same frame. However, using shield+A has a disadvantage (which using the Z button doesn't have) that makes it an objectively worse choice: if you do a tilt turn and then delay the A press by even a frame and thereby go into shield instead of just grabbing, then you will cancel it without tuning around; buffered tilt turns are how you regrab DI behind below about 30%, and using shield+A makes them inconsistent for no reason.

If you are pressing z and getting light shield, then you are pressing it while still in throw lag. Adjust your timing and make sure you don't press it until after you see Marth's arm come down. Also after like 17% you need to be using jump canceled grabs which is easier by just pressing Y and Z
You don't need to dash jump cancel grab; you can walk forwards and grab, or dash forwards shield stop grab (both of which don't move you as far forwards and are therefore useful when you're trying to chaingrab on a platform or by the ledge).

Last edited:

Farkus

Smash Rookie
NNID
Farkus004
3DS FC
4485-1001-4455
Are jump cancelled grabs possible when standing, or do you have to be dashing?

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Are jump cancelled grabs possible when standing, or do you have to be dashing?
Any time you can enter jumpsquat (i.e. any time you can jump from the ground) you can jump cancel grab; a jump cancel grab is the act of cancelling jumpquat into a standing grab (you have to enter jumpsquat for at least 1 frame). There's no reason to jump cancel grab when you're standing since just grabbing is faster, without an unnecessary extra input or a chance of jumping by accident.

Last edited:
Top Bottom