• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Randi, Primm & The Legends (and Secret) of Mana for Smash!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
WCCFsecretofmana1small.jpg

The Heroes and Legends of Mana
Randi, Primm, & more

The mana series is a very renowned Action-RPG franchise. The most popular game in these is Secret of Mana (first released on the Super Nintendo), which was a big hit and carved out many aspects for Action-RPG adventures. (It was also playable with more than one player, which brought friends together throughout the whole thing) It stood out as one of the best games of its kind for a very long time. It was the adventure of a boy (Randi) through a mystical adventure, meeting his other teammates along the way, Primm and Poppoi.
Secret of mana is actually the second game in the series (of Seiken Densetsu). The first one on the gameboy, was named Final Fantasy Adventure for english crowds. The third game wasn't released in english, but was considered an incredibly good game as well. Many people may also know of Legend of Mana, released on the PlayStation, which was a very good title as well, but not exactly like Secret of Mana. Sword of Mana was also a pretty decent game, and was on the Gameboy Advance.
Secret of Mana was recently remade in 3D, as an HD remake. This makes the series still relevant. (though the original is still considered better by many)

Lore
Recurring in the mana series is the story of the World Tree, as a source of magic within the world. Our heroes end up fighting against forces that would take advantage of this power, on their adventures, and there is also a holy sword with great power that's in the mix. It's said that the Goddess turned into the Mana Tree after having created the world with the Mana Sword. Our warriors help restore balance within this realm.

In this world, mana spirits govern magic and each represent an element of magic that can be used for spells & more.
Mana Elements:
  • Wisp, the spirit of light
  • Shade, the spirit of darkness
  • Luna, the spirit of the moon
  • Salamander, the spirit of fire
  • Undine, the spirit of water
  • Dryad, the spirit of wood
  • Jinn, the spirit of wind
  • Gnome, the spirit of earth
There are also many weapons to choose from and change between with any character in Secret of Mana (and many others in the series).

For Smash:
The Mana series would be a great addition to Smash! Randi and the others have tons of potential, including for moves, with tons of weapons, magic and other stuff to choose from. For the purpose of better development, this thread starts to focuses on Randi and Primm(as a skin, or echo) as the main candidates first, but can cover more than them in the event that more than one character (or echoes/clones) could be made. I'm also going to include ideas for multiple weapon options, as well as other ideas for having multiple characters, such as what A Astraltar had for a tag-team party character.

Randi can be the primary character, while Primm (and other characters in the series that aren't short) could be skins or echos. While Randi is not really a magic user, and so the default moveset ideas I'll talk about are options without needing magic (except for possibly elemental attributes on certain skills), I'm including options for magic that could be for echos or in the event that the main character (Randi & other characters as skins) would be a mixed fighter to represent the series as a whole over just himself. This could be a bit similar ot how Ness has magic spells that was originally Paula's.
Primm and the heroes in the other games like Legend of Mana can use all weapons just as well, so there is no issue with them having the same weapon attacks. I will talk about the option for another character model for Poppoi and other small characters later. (it's just an option if there'd be enough time in development)

Ideas for moveset style:

1) One of the 4 melee weapons for regular attacks (A button), and an assortment of long-range weapon skills (& possibly magic) for special attacks (B button)
2) Equippable weapons, changing the moveset for melee attacks, fully or partially (some moves would be universal regardless of weapon [like kicks]).
3) A mixture of the 4 melee weapons for regular attacks within the same moveset. (Diverse moveset, but Incompatible with option #1 and 2)
4) A different weapon &/or moveset per character.

The purpose of choosing option #1 (at first) is for simplicity as well as keeping the opportunity to have multiple weapons, each possibly having a few(or more) changes to a moveset. A mana character could be able to change equipment in order to have more than one mode of attack, or it could be the change for another character. These changes could be minor (like changes in speed, range, and power of weapon attacks), or major (as in entirely different attacks). Equipping could be done at the character select screen, or (possibly) in battle (with down-b or holding b for a while. This would bring up a menu ring much like in the original games, to select another weapon, and perhaps other items as part of an inventory).

Here's to list the various weapons and magic that could be put on a character (there may come more detailed movesets in the future):

Melee Attacks (A button): Spear, Sword, Axe, & Gauntlets. (as well as possibly whip)
Special attacks (B button): Bow, Boomerang, Whip, & Javelin. +Elemental Magic

games-2756-mzl.uirhhclb.320x480-751.jpg

Ideas for Character & Party Involvement:

1) Only one character, but with skins for Primm & other characters of similar height
2) Randi as well as some other characters (can be on skins) &/or an echo character for more characters (with some variance in movesets, like maybe more magic for some).
3) Multiple characters in one battle (like a team):

A Astraltar 's idea for switching (tag-team) with other party members:
(one character at a time)
Secret of Mana is a classic SNES game. It was even included in the SNES Classic edition. And with the re-release on PS4 we finally learned the main characters actually have names. Randi is the boy, Primm is the Girl, and Popoi is the sprite.

My idea for the stars of Secret of Mana is to have all three heroes together as the same character, but not like Ice Climbers where they'd all be on screen, in the fray at once. But like Pokémon Trainer, where you play as one at a time and switch them out for one another. And each member of team Mana would wield their own weapon, Randi with the sword, Primm with the axe, and Popoi with the lance. I know this leaves out a bunch of weapon options that were in Secret of Mana, and as the idea is kind of in its infancy, i'm not sure how Primm's and Popoi's magic would be integrated. But I don't think it's the worst idea I've seen on these forums. Especially considering we've never had an axe wielder or lance wielder in the Smash series yet. So who's with me?

Yes my idea is to have all 3 Secret of Mana characters in a tag-team fashion. So you could switch between Randi, Primm, and Popoi like Pokémon Trainer in Brawl.

My idea for a Duo character (to play as a party):
Another character (skin, echo or clone) would accompany the character you select, much like the Ice Climbers, but would not copy your moves, it would still mostly follow you around, but only act with a low level of AI, much like a lvl 1 to 3 cpu.
This is to simulate having a party member be by your side much like in the original games, without it being overpowered.

Idea for Duo character + Switching (tag-team): Thiis is a combination of both party ideas, where you can switch between the two party members that are on the field. You would be able to control one character at a time, but could switch between them. This could have a small delay so as not to be too big of an advantage, and would mostly be beneficial for positioning and to switch movesets in the case that there's differences between characters (or they have a different weapon equipped)

~
Moveset Ideas:

Basic idea and a couple animated gifs:
A: 2 to 3 hit combo (gif from Sword of Mana)
combo.gif

(Can work with different weapons)
StaffAttack.gif

Forward Tilt: A big swing forward
200w.gif
(More moveset ideas to come)

~
Possible Character inclusions (as skins, echos, or clones):

Hero and Heroine (from Legend of Mana)
Hero_(LoM_Artwork).png
Heroine_(LoM_Artwork).png
Hero and Heroine 2 (From Sword of Mana)
Hero_(Sword_of_Mana).png
Heroine_(Sword_of_Mana).png
Duran and Riesz[Lise] (Seiken Densetsu 3)
1460047200702.png
Poppoi (Secret of Mana) as a smaller clone & Carlie (Seiken Densetsu 3) as an echo (both could have more magic as specials, than characters like Randi)
Popoi_(Remake).jpg
charlotte.jpg

Question and Concerns:
Q1) With other SquareEnix characters being demanded, why would Randi and the others be supported for smash?
What about Geno?
Answer: SquareEnix has many great franchises and characters, I think we should all give them a chance and support those we like. We don't know what's possible for the relationship between Nintendo and them, so we could have multiple characters. I do agree that priority for a first character should go to Geno, and I think there's no need to be concerned about that. Support these characters if you like them, and if you'd like to see more great characters from SE make it into smash.

Q2) Could there really be multiple weapons for a character?
Answer: Having different weapons in a moveset isn't unheard of, and there could be many, or there could be Equipping different weapons to change some attacks (for the A button), and the changes don't have to be extensive, as even in Sword of Mana weapons don't have enormous differences between them when attacking normally. The range speed and power could be tweeked to make them a bit different between them, plus some moves like a few aerials and even down tilt could be kicks that remain the same regardless of the weapon equipped. Though If they'd want, they could make them more different than this, and allow for more variety between the weapons (or characters).

Q3) In what case would there be magic or long-range weapons on a character?
Answer: If they decide to make the character (including Randi) more of a representent of the series, they could mix and match both magic and long-ranged weapons in the special moves. And if they would make an echo character for characters that use more magic, then those could have more magic in their moveset while Randi (and possibly others) would have less, and easily take moves from other characters, such as boomerangs and bows. This could be the default character, with possibly only 1 magical move (such as an elementally imbued recovery attack, like Roy)

Thank you for checking out this support page for these amazing characters from the mana series.

Randi, Primm and the Heroes of Mana for Smash!

1042799-free-secret-of-mana-wallpapers-2.jpg

4.gif

1042832-large-secret-of-mana-wallpapers-2.jpg

Last edited:

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
I like the idea of bringing Secret of Mana into Smash. Both a stage and a character would please me. But my dream is to play as all three characters from Secret of Mana as a tag team. At first I was thinking they should all be given fixed weapons like Randi with the sword, Primm with the axe and Poppoi with the lance. But then I though better of it and realized their attacks should work like Ness's bat and yo-yo. Each character uses EVERY type of weapon in their moves by pulling the weapons out of thin air. And each character would have their own different sets of movers based on those weapons like up-smash for Randi would be the sword, but up-smash for Primm would be the Axe and up-smash for Poppoi would be the lance, while side-smash with Randi would be the axe, side smash with Primm would be the whip, and side-smash with Poppoi would be the Sword. And so on with each move and each character. So they'd all play differently but have the same general idea.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I like the idea of bringing Secret of Mana into Smash. Both a stage and a character would please me. But my dream is to play as all three characters from Secret of Mana as a tag team. At first I was thinking they should all be given fixed weapons like Randi with the sword, Primm with the axe and Poppoi with the lance. But then I though better of it and realized their attacks should work like Ness's bat and yo-yo. Each character uses EVERY type of weapon in their moves by pulling the weapons out of thin air. And each character would have their own different sets of movers based on those weapons like up-smash for Randi would be the sword, but up-smash for Primm would be the Axe and up-smash for Poppoi would be the lance, while side-smash with Randi would be the axe, side smash with Primm would be the whip, and side-smash with Poppoi would be the Sword. And so on with each move and each character. So they'd all play differently but have the same general idea.
I like your idea. Here's one thing to consider; in the original games, you would only have one weapon at a time, so in trying to stay at least a little true to that, I prefer going in the direction of having one main weapon rather than being an entire army of weapons in one moveset. What I do like about your idea though is that if it were just one moveset, it would be diverse and able to fit for multiple characters too, but you want to have all characters have different attacks, which would take as much time to code, if not more, and there isn't much coherence if they all have different weapons for different attacks, it just doesn't sit that well with me, but it's all possible ideas that could work. I'm thinking it would make more sense to develop them as weapon sets, so that anyone could equip the axe, and be able to do the axe moves, but if there'd be time for just one character, then I could see them using your method, to make the character diverse, and then skins or echos could be added, maybe in a future game having a different mix for one or two to get to the point where you'd like it to be. My idea is so that we don't have to throw 1 move here and one move there when it can be made into individual sets of weapons, and then be truer to the game as well as create the option to change set rather than one character always having the same moveset. It's like a free bonus (for the same, or less, development time).

Your post made me add whip to the melee weapon list, because I think that could be possible too for some attacks or smashes.
;)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I never played it, but I always wanted to. I already love the art so I'm all in for it.
The first secret of mana was actually Final Fantasy Adventure on gameboy. They called it that in the u.s. :p

I recommend playing the one on the snes, Secret of Mana for sure. My favorite is still the third one, Seiken Densetsu 3, which wasnt released in english. I enjoyed that game so much. And then Legend of Mana on playstation is the third best, imo. It's different, but still really good.

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace
The first secret of mana was actually Final Fantasy Adventure on gameboy. They called it that in the u.s. :p

I recommend playing the one on the snes, Secret of Mana for sure. My favorite is still the third one, Seiken Densetsu 3, which wasnt released in english. I enjoyed that game so much. And then Legend of Mana on playstation is the third best, imo. It's different, but still really good.
Oh yeah I've heard of that, it was very interesting learning the lore of the Mana franchise being essentially from Final Fantasy. It's almost like Vagrant Hearts in that way or Nier to Drakengard. That's really cool, kind of wish more franchises did that.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oh yeah I've heard of that, it was very interesting learning the lore of the Mana franchise being essentially from Final Fantasy. It's almost like Vagrant Hearts in that way or Nier to Drakengard. That's really cool, kind of wish more franchises did that.
Well they took out final fantasy stuff after that one and it's pretty much its own lore and doesnt feel the same at all. But yeah it's still cool. It made me love action rpgs anyway :)

Last edited:

NomadLuminary

Smash Ace

Legit though, I really love this artystyle.

Edit: We might get that Secret of Mana collection. Teeb147 Teeb147

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:
Top Bottom