• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rage and DI/VI: Jumping the Gun

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Lately, I've seen a lot of complaints regarding these two mechanics. Some constructive and some not. The biggest complaint I've seen is that these two mechanics benefit the attacked player which isn't necessarily true.

Rage has been characterized as a comeback mechanic, but it's as much of a tradeoff as Lucario's Aura. I can be at 110% AND have a stock lead. Stocks alone say that I'm the winning player. Put this into the hands of a character like Shulk with his stances and this becomes very powerful for Shulk if he's in the lead. If I'm at the same damage level but a stock below, it's a potential comeback for me. However, I may have just taken off a stock thanks to the rage mechanic, but now we're equal in stock, but I have more damage so I'm STILL the losing player. Now I have to repeat my work to ensure that I kill them before they kill me which is easier said than done. The way I see it, this mechanic does not inherently benefit either player as the trigger is entirely damage based.

Now for DI. This mechanic's been under fire since its discovery, or rather how it is in this game. My understanding of this mechanic is that it's a nine way tech escape based on which way you direct (or don't) the control stick. To me, this is conceptually the same as DI in the previous games with a far more intuitive input. So anyway, my beef with the way players are reacting to this is that people are concerned only about survival and combos. Combos or mixups that require less guessing are still present at the lower percentages as DI's influence doesn't kick in until later percentages. After a certain point, the game becomes about footsies and mixups.

Survival, while a valid concern, has taken overwhelming priority over the okizeme aspect of DI in most discussions I've seen. People rather talk about how they can't kill as soon as the opponent can reduce the knockback. Here's the thing. If you know that's going to happen, why not make them pay for it? I see it as me chasing my prey or setting them into an unfavorable position. For example, if I push back Little Mac with Link's AAA, Mac would likely benefit best by DI'ing closer to the ground. If I know is going to happen, then I need to find ways to punish that and make him consider DI'ing into the air.

One last thing. Theoretically, you should be able to REDUCE the amount of guesswork with the right attacks. An attack like certain NAirs hit all around and can hit an opponent regardless of where they DI to. The drawback is that NAir's typically don't have much in knockback. Meanwhile, a move like the Knee hits in only one direction, but the sweetspot is most rewarding.

All in all, people should be complaining less and looking to do something with the hand they've been dealt. If you still don't like the game, that's fine and dandy. Just don't write it off because you don't like the hand you're dealt.

Last edited:

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Agreed. As with any mechanic it's just a matter of adapting and using it to your advantage.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Agreed, I was thinking about making a post like this myself. In smash, a lead is not defined by your percent. Its silly to get all worked up about it being a "comeback mechanic." If anything, it encourages two things:

-Going hard for gimps to ensure that your opponent doesn't enter "full rage"
-Taking risks when at higher percents to take advantage of your enhanced strength

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
What I'm starting to notice is that Smash 3DS seems to have something of a strong division between speedy, combo-heavy characters and powerful, single attack characters, with maybe some versitile characters in the middle. The speedy characters shouldn't have issues with chasing down opponents and killing them regardless of vectoring or rage. Spike them into the abyss, keep them off the stage, or kick them off the top. Power characters though don't seem to care about vectoring or rage as much because with a good, single hit they can knock out a character at lower percentages. I may be off the mark a bit, but I feel like once people really get a strong feel for their characters and the game, we're going to see a lot of the issues become negligable. Vectoring and the blast zones may help keep characters alive longer, but I don't feel that will be as prominant at higher levels of play due to more direct control over how the match and characters move.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The metagame is still young, but I strongly believe that everything should pan out just fine. As metagame knowledge builds up, we'll find counters, setups, and more to make the game very deep. Then there's just the general diversity of the roster.

Not to be an ungrateful jerk, but I'm amazed that there are far more likes than there are replies to this thread.

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
The metagame is still young, but I strongly believe that everything should pan out just fine. As metagame knowledge builds up, we'll find counters, setups, and more to make the game very deep. Then there's just the general diversity of the roster.

Not to be an ungrateful jerk, but I'm amazed that there are far more likes than there are replies to this thread.
If I can speak for the lurkers, I think there's just a vocal minority that's ready to decry every part of this game that looks remotely uncompetitive. Most people are willing to give the game a chance, but I'm guessing they just don't want to post about it.

Plus, you put it quite eloquently in the OP. Not much more to be said.

KiskeQ

Smash Rookie
The problem with most people is accepting different mechanics.
I mean i'm fine with combos to rack up damage that go long and quick, shorter combos for the KO, but it isn't every character that can do it, and now we need more work a bit more for the KOs.
just my two cents on this.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Because we need more voices of reason around here, dammit.

There're so many people in the vocal minority running around foretelling doom (or worse, attacking anyone who disagrees) that some of the more reasonable folk are afraid to say anything.

Last edited:

Signia

Smash Lord
Ok, so why didn't you just post in the VI and Rage threads about this?
Wtf do you want, lol? Are you lonely?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It would've been swallowed up by other posts.

Top Bottom