• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R***.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
From what I believe, if you get offended by the word "gay" because you're gay, the n-word because you're black, or other labels, then you just lack pride in who you are.

As for "****," it's like calling somebody "dumb." Slang has changed the meaning of the words in the English language. You never actually use the word "dumb" to describe someone who has a mental condition.

Derkis

Smash Cadet
From what I believe, if you get offended by the word "gay" because you're gay, the n-word because you're black, or other labels, then you just lack pride in who you are.
You are then trivializing the perspective of people who think differently than you and making generalizations about their self-confidence. Perhaps some people value compassion, understanding, equality, and/or respect more than pride. It's also kind of twisted logic to conclude that because somebody would rather have people respect a term which defines them, rather that use it as slander, they somehow lack pride. In fact, that seems to suggest that they do take pride in who they are and want to defend its validity, rather than take the slight lying down.

As for "****," it's like calling somebody "dumb." Slang has changed the meaning of the words in the English language. You never actually use the word "dumb" to describe someone who has a mental condition.
So because something is slang, it is therefore justified and cannot be offensive? A slang definition of a word does not change the meaning of a word, but rather adds a new meaning. The old one doesn't just disappear, and the correlation between the two will always exist (because they're attached to the same word). If I decide to start using "tree" as slang for "jerk," does "tree" cease to represent that wooden trunk with the branches and the leaves and whatnot? It also creates a link between the two definitions, because I didn't simply choose tree randomly -- perhaps I'm suggesting that jerks are inanimate and wooden, like trees.

Also, we rarely use "dumb" to refer to mute people (one of its definitions) anymore because it alternately describes someone of low intelligence (and mute people are not necessarily unintelligent). This is actually a nice parallel to why you should not use the word gay to describe something you don't like.

MacD

Banned via Administration
macd definitely knows he plays gay and i think i recall him saying 'i have to play gayer' when games got rough

im not even sure if hes really gay ahha im just assuming
you sure do love talking about me chok ;) <333333

though i don't think i've actually said "i have to play gayer" like how am i supposed to do that, dsmash more??? that's practically impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom