• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

/r/ssbm Lockdown Refuge Thread

RESPRiT

Smash Rookie
Yahoooo! Welcome to the Daily Discussion Thread! Have a very cool day! Luigi numbah one!

Welcome to the Daily Discussion Thread. This is the place for asking noob questions, venting about netplay falcos, ****posting, self-promotion, and everything else that doesn't belong on the front page.

New Players:

If you're completely new to Melee and just looking to get started, welcome! We recommend you go to https://blippi.gg/ and follow the links there based on what you're trying to set up. Additionally, here are a few answers to common questions:

Can I play Melee online?

Yes! Slippi is a branch of the Dolphin emulator that will allow you to play online, either with your friends or with matchmaking. Go to https://slippi.gg to get it.

Netplay is hard! Is there a place for me to find new players?

Yes. Melee Newbie Netplay is a discord server specifically for new players. It also has tournaments based on how long you've been playing, free coaching, and other stuff. If you're a bit more experienced but still want a discord server for players around your level, we recommend the Melee Online discord.

How can I set up Unclepunch's Training Mode?

First download it here. Then extract everything in the folder and follow the instructions in the README file. You'll need to bring a valid Melee ISO (NTSC 1.02)

I'm having issues with Slippi!

Go to the The Slippi Discord to get help troubleshooting.

How does one learn Melee?

There are tons of resources out there, so it can be overwhelming to start. First check out the SSBM Tutorials youtube channel. Then go to the Melee Library and search for whatever you're interested in.

But how do I get GOOD at Melee?

Check out Llod's Guide to Improvement

Where can I get a nice custom controller?

https://customg.cc/vendors

I have another question that's not answered here...

Check out our FAQs or post below and find help that way.

Upcoming Tournament Schedule:
Upcoming Melee Majors
Melee Online Event Calendar

grep

Smash Rookie
had to pay the $3 to rename my account because my high school self sucked at usernames, but we're here now woooo

grep

Smash Rookie
Looks like LACS is really shaping up to be the new Summit-equivalent series now that Ludwig has hired a bunch of former BTS folks and the old BTS studios.

King Bungu$$$

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
BUNG#0
Yahoooo! Welcome to the Daily Discussion Thread! Have a very cool day! Luigi numbah one!

Welcome to the Daily Discussion Thread. This is the place for asking noob questions, venting about netplay falcos, ****posting, self-promotion, and everything else that doesn't belong on the front page.

New Players:

If you're completely new to Melee and just looking to get started, welcome! We recommend you go to https://blippi.gg/ and follow the links there based on what you're trying to set up. Additionally, here are a few answers to common questions:

Can I play Melee online?

Yes! Slippi is a branch of the Dolphin emulator that will allow you to play online, either with your friends or with matchmaking. Go to https://slippi.gg to get it.

Netplay is hard! Is there a place for me to find new players?

Yes. Melee Newbie Netplay is a discord server specifically for new players. It also has tournaments based on how long you've been playing, free coaching, and other stuff. If you're a bit more experienced but still want a discord server for players around your level, we recommend the Melee Online discord.

How can I set up Unclepunch's Training Mode?

First download it here. Then extract everything in the folder and follow the instructions in the README file. You'll need to bring a valid Melee ISO (NTSC 1.02)

I'm having issues with Slippi!

Go to the The Slippi Discord to get help troubleshooting.

How does one learn Melee?

There are tons of resources out there, so it can be overwhelming to start. First check out the SSBM Tutorials youtube channel. Then go to the Melee Library and search for whatever you're interested in.

But how do I get GOOD at Melee?

Check out Llod's Guide to Improvement

Where can I get a nice custom controller?

https://customg.cc/vendors

I have another question that's not answered here...

Check out our FAQs or post below and find help that way.

Upcoming Tournament Schedule:
Upcoming Melee Majors
Melee Online Event Calendar
First.

Duffy_SSBM

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
DUFF#157
Looks like LACS is really shaping up to be the new Summit-equivalent series now that Ludwig has hired a bunch of former BTS folks and the old BTS studios.
That is super exciting! Do we have a date on the LACS5 this summer? I checked twitter but didn't see it

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
i dont want any of these gat damn r/SSBM refugees moving into my retirement home! get out!!!! >:o

Duffy_SSBM

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
DUFF#157
Why did people stop using Smashboards in the first place? It honestly seems better in a lot of ways to reddit for actual discussion. I get that reddit can provide a nice 'front page' of stuff going in in the community/esport side of Melee, but this seems nice for talking about all aspects of the game

Den_

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
DEN#960
Why did people stop using Smashboards in the first place? It honestly seems better in a lot of ways to reddit for actual discussion. I get that reddit can provide a nice 'front page' of stuff going in in the community/esport side of Melee, but this seems nice for talking about all aspects of the game
i think facebook was the first nail in the coffin, and then once twitter and reddit really took off forum culture was left in the past. it's sad really. i think it'd be really cool to shift back to smashboards

RESPRiT

Smash Rookie
I think the lack of a mobile client is a big deterrent for a lot of people, unfortunately. Nowadays, the majority of traffic on social platforms comes from mobile users.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I think the lack of a mobile client is a big deterrent for a lot of people, unfortunately. Nowadays, the majority of traffic on social platforms comes from mobile users.
It's a shame. I like forums a whole lot more because they're much easier to keep up with than other messaging methods. Plus, Smashboards can easily be accessed on a phone simply by using an Internet browser.

Top Bottom