• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. vs. Olimar

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so I've been using R.O.B. for awhile now. I just started playing Olimar, and I LOVE him. However, after playing both R.O.B. and Olimar, it seems that I'm about equal (but possibly slightly better with R.O.B., but I could definitely improve with Olimar.) Now, I must decide which to use. Here are the important facts:

-I've been using R.O.B. for much longer (just started Olimar a day or two ago)
-I do NOT want a character that everybody uses
-I like a good projectile
-I'd rather a good aerial game instead of ground game
-I'd like to have a nice spike
-I'd rather have the better grab
-I love to go off stage to attack the enemy when they're recovering
-I love to take risks with the Pikmin (like throwing lots of them on the stage when recovering)
-I play more defensively as R.O.B. and am able to get some quick kills; I play more offensively as Olimar and am able to kill effectively

Based on that information, could you guys:

1) Tell me which one better suits me? (With a reason if possible)

2) If you can, tell me which character excels in each of the facts stated above (not including the first one, and for the second one, feel free to state that neither is overused if that's a fact. For the second to last, tell me if it's okay, and for the last one, tell me which play style is better or if I'm doing it right or something.)

Thank you.

Scion

Smash Cadet
-I've been using R.O.B. for much longer (just started Olimar a day or two ago)
-By the looks of it Olimar will be used be many. (Looking at the "who will you main" thread)
-Obviously the pikman are probably the better projectile, But if you work with R.O.B. his little top could be good. Plus he has his laser.
-R.O.B. will probably be better in the air because he has a better ability to get back on the stage and I think he floats a bit more

I couldn't help you with the grabs. But IMO you should stick with R.O.B.

Frames

DI
I say stick with both. The way this game is now, I think nobody can be really good with JUST one character. Plus, learning how to play the other will give you an advantage when you have to fight them.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
It sounds like you'd be leaning more towards ROB, but don't alienate poor little Olimar. His friends are all very temporary.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
As someone who plays a fair amount of both, I can try to give you some advice.

With everyone saying how awesome Olimar is, there will probably be a lot of Olimar players before long. However, nobody ever mentions R.O.B. for some reason. Although among the kinds of low-level players who have never heard about tiers and whatnot, you really won't see much of either. I see very few Olimars online using With Anyone, and none that have any idea how to use him.

Pikmin Throw can be spammed and is pretty annoying, but the pikmin are generally really easy to shake off and don't usually do much damage, unless you can land a white and then keep them off-balance for a while while it does damage (plus you can run out of pikmin if you're not careful, which is bad). Neither of R.O.B.'s projectiles are of the spammable kind, but the fully-charged laser is very useful and hard to see coming, and fully-charged Gyromajiggers are incredibly powerful and pretty fast (plus, with R.O.B.'s recovery, you can charge them up in unreachable places like the corner of the screen).

They both have really good aerials. However, R.O.B. is far more heavily defined by his aerial game than Olimar is (smashes are probably generally important for the latter). Do not underestimate R.O.B.'s up-B and general floatiness. Air is like ground to him. Also, R.O.B. has more of a combo focus on most of his aerials whereas Olimar's are generally better-used as finishers.

Both have dairs that spike. In my experience, Olimar's is far easier to land, but R.O.B. can be way more aggressive with his since he never has to worry about getting back to the stage or getting edgehogged.

Olimar has that ranged grab which is kind of hard to see coming (and not nearly as laggy as the tether characters) and throws which can kill at higher percentages. R.O.B. has a more conventional grab. I'm not sure which is better...I guess it depends on what you're trying to do with it. If you're just going to hang back and shieldgrab, Olimar's would most likely be superior, but characters with slower grabs tend to miss out on the possibility of an offensive grab game.

Quite frankly, I don't see why you don't just play both. Why limit yourself to only one character? And even if you do insist on choosing a single main, you'd still be better off playing both for a while and deciding for yourself which suits you better.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I would stick with ROB. Olimar is just boring (my opinion).

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
Olimars dair is a pretty good spike, especially if your using the right pikmin. I'd go to Olimar, but that's because i don't really like R.O.B.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
umm....yeah why not use both?

i freaking use half the roster (Mario, Rob, Sonic, Meta Knight, Olimar, Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Link, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, Toon Link, Fox, Samus, Pit, Ike, Marth)

Kirby-oh

Smash Apprentice
I like both. I've worked with both, and I prefer Olimar. I think they are a great pair, and counter different play styles.

6footninja

Smash Ace
Your about in the middle, looking at it. Stick with both, even if your more skilled with one than the other use the next one as a "second" main. For example, I use Metaknight as my main, sine ive been playing with him longer, but im almost as good with Toon Link, so I consider them both my mains.

PhoenixWiight

Smash Cadet
ROB's ariels are great in terms of damage and knockback and damage, but from my experience they're hard to hit with. Olimar has some great ariels too, especially his up air.

6footninja

Smash Ace
ROB's ariels are great in terms of damage and knockback and damage, but from my experience they're hard to hit with. Olimar has some great ariels too, especially his up air.
All the more reason to practise and main both. Putting some variety into something you do a lot (like playing smash with your main) literally "spices" things up. Just making the overall experience better. Then again, this is taboo to some people. I lean for spontaneity :)

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
I want to stick with one so I can get really GOOD as one. I don't want to be going back and forth between a few all the time.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Alright, after testing a bunch, I've gotten some more facts to add:

-I love to go off stage to attack the enemy (I guess that's a R.O.B. pro?)
-I love to take risks with the Pikmin (like throwing lots of them on the stage when recovering)
-I play more defensively as R.O.B. and am able to get some quick kills; I play more offensively as Olimar and am able to kill effectively.

Can somebody tell me based on these as well? I'll also add them to the initial list on the first post.

Rorus Raz

Smash Rookie
Going off the stage is taking a risk with the Pikmin. A big one.

Still, sounds like R.O.B. is more for you.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
-I love to go off stage to attack the enemy (I guess that's a R.O.B. pro?)
R.O.B. is good at this. I mean, like, super-good. This is basically what he does. You can sometimes just chase someone off and spam fairs until the other guy just runs out of stage...and still have more than enough fuel to get back to the ledge yourself. Olimar is probably below-average at this sort of thing, not because his aerials are bad for it, but just because if the opponent dodges and grabs the stage, you lose your up-B, and if you used up your double jump getting to them, then you're pretty much screwed. He's generally better off staying grounded and smashing pikmin over the edge unless you can nail them easily with only one jump.

Uh, does that really work out in a risk vs. reward scenario? If you get edgeguarded you will simultaneously do negligible damage (from the pikmin getting knocked off by the attack) and probably die (due to not having any pikmin left alive). If you're into doing wacky stuff off the edge, it seems like R.O.B.'s up-B should appeal to you a whole lot...or maybe I'm just too conservative with my pikmin when I play Olimar.

-I play more defensively as R.O.B. and am able to get some quick kills; I play more offensively as Olimar and am able to kill effectively.
Yeah, that seems to be pretty much how they operate. I tend to play mostly defensively with R.O.B. until I can get them high in the air or over the edge, which is when I go after them. In case you (somehow) haven't noticed yet, his down-smash is absurdly good for defensive purposes. Olimar is more focused on getting clean, no-nonsense kills right from the stage with his powerful attacks, so he's definitely more offensively-oriented.

Your general trend towards liking to be able to do fancy stuff in the air leads me to suspect that R.O.B. ought to be more your style, but you're the only one who can say for sure.

zB.

Smash Cadet
Based on everything your saying, R.O.B. is the choice. He just seems to be a better fit to your play style.

Plus, he's a freaking robot. Does Olimar have eye lasers, jets, a spiral cable connecting his body to his feet, or eye lasers? No, Olimar doesn't. And yea, the eye lasers are awesome enough to get mentioned twice. I mean, come on, they're eye lasers. Plus his taunts, winning animations, and even his losing clap are among the most awesome in the game.

Top Bottom