• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Patch Notes Thread

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I don't know.
I'm not too worried about the nerf to be honest.
As @ The Real Inferno The Real Inferno said, ppl will want to play more aggressive, but quite frankly, me likes that. It allows me to get more damage on them if they do so. Bc at a higher lvl of play, your projectiles aint much unless you have a gyro in your hand, or you're being very clutch with very small window opportunities to land a gyro/laser. So if someone is trying to get in on me, and with me being a zoning/gtfo character, I think it's going to be ok.
Yeah we have to do like 20+% more dmg to have an easy kill, but:
1.) We do a good deal of damage already. Shouldn't be too hard in most MUs.
2.) This will condition us to get better at out other kill options such as upsmashing out of shield, roll reading, manipulating someone to dodge, gimping, etc.

Maybe we're better off without this crutch.
Maybe I'm insanely optimistic.
Either way, you can nerf ROB, but you'll never nerf the player.
Let's just wait and see how this goes.

I have high hopes.

It's not going to be a good thing when Fox's and Yoshi's frame trap the **** out of us with zero fear of reprisal well into over 100%. The greatest thing about Uthrow was its ability to make people not dive in full force and overwhelm our pretty mediocre defenses (BTW ROB does very low damage compared to most of the cast, and it's much closer to 30-40% more damage for a uthrow kill than 20 on average as it seems to increase at a non-standard rate per weight class). Gyro is less useful as a get away from me option due to having no option but to actually throw it/glide toss instead of being to throw out an attack.

ROB is a zoning character, that's true, but a lot of our worst matchups, the only thing that allowed us to zone them into decent percents was the threat of a decent, safe kill option. High mobility combo characters dont give a **** about anything else we have to throw at them, because they know how easy it will be to bait us. We can't risk them to come in, so we have to throw out a zoning option, which is unsafe against them. ZSS, Fox, Sheik, Yoshi, Falcon. These kinds of characters can dart in and out on us and easily punish with kill moves just because we tried to zone them.

Look, I'm not saying ROB is garbage tier now, but nobody can sit around and say we didn't just get demonstrably worse as a character. You don't lose two amazing tools like this and stay the same while other characters got buffed or stayed the same overall. Objectively speaking, ROB is now a worse character and it was pretty unarguably an undeserved nerf.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
Premium
NNID
syde_7
*slow claps*

For real though, I appreciate the positive "Lets make the most of it" outlook of Mister Eric, but I can't argue with the cold, hard facts.

That being said, has anyone done any testing on like... "small" things, that may have been overlooked? I'm talking Jabs, fall speed, walking speed, etc etc.... or can we pretty much call it at "U-Throw Nerf" as the only change?

Edit, possibly slightly off topic: Also, does anyone else feel that there may be a further "small" patch accompanying the general release of MewTwo? Outside of possibly making his customs available, but maybe fixing some stuff w/ MewTwo and some additional characters. Kind of like an 1.0.6.1?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
A lot of changes (ie. knockback angles, frame data) are difficult or incredibly tedious to test empirically. I think basically all easily tested changes have been compiled in the Competitive Discussion thread, and we'd need to wait for someone to data mine the patch before more intricate changes can be confirmed. Hopefully that will happen soon, and hopefully ROB has received compensation buffs. I highly doubt it though. QQ

Considering that there are a decent number of glitches with Mewtwo currently, I think another small bugfix patch is almost assured. It might only touch on Mewtwo though, and I think it won't consider character balance at all.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
It's not going to be a good thing when Fox's and Yoshi's frame trap the **** out of us with zero fear of reprisal well into over 100%. The greatest thing about Uthrow was its ability to make people not dive in full force and overwhelm our pretty mediocre defenses (BTW ROB does very low damage compared to most of the cast, and it's much closer to 30-40% more damage for a uthrow kill than 20 on average as it seems to increase at a non-standard rate per weight class). Gyro is less useful as a get away from me option due to having no option but to actually throw it/glide toss instead of being to throw out an attack.

ROB is a zoning character, that's true, but a lot of our worst matchups, the only thing that allowed us to zone them into decent percents was the threat of a decent, safe kill option. High mobility combo characters dont give a **** about anything else we have to throw at them, because they know how easy it will be to bait us. We can't risk them to come in, so we have to throw out a zoning option, which is unsafe against them. ZSS, Fox, Sheik, Yoshi, Falcon. These kinds of characters can dart in and out on us and easily punish with kill moves just because we tried to zone them.

Look, I'm not saying ROB is garbage tier now, but nobody can sit around and say we didn't just get demonstrably worse as a character. You don't lose two amazing tools like this and stay the same while other characters got buffed or stayed the same overall. Objectively speaking, ROB is now a worse character and it was pretty unarguably an undeserved nerf.
The only character that concerns me out of that list is Sheik.
I think that's who we get hurt by the most. But I barely got grabs anyways, because if a sheik isn't doing an immediate attack out of landing an aerial or spamming needles, not sure when we're grabbing her.
Almost all of Fox's attacks have so much lag on them that you can just upsmash out of shield. If spaced well, run up and upsmash.
Falcon doesn't need to be upthrown as down throw > u air works wonders in this MU. He goes about as high as Megaman when you downthrow him so you get free combos even at kill %. And you don't have to play rock paper scissors on whether he's jumping or airdodging.
Yoshi, I still think it's pretty susceptible to upsmash OoS.
ZSS, idk enough yet. Too busy being up b'd at 50 and dying lel.

I still fear sheik the most out of the nerf. Taking Samboner to game 3 last night was nice tho. So It didn't feel too terrible. Just a lot of spacing and jabbing. MU still hella hard tho.

*slow claps*

For real though, I appreciate the positive "Lets make the most of it" outlook of Mister Eric, but I can't argue with the cold, hard facts.

That being said, has anyone done any testing on like... "small" things, that may have been overlooked? I'm talking Jabs, fall speed, walking speed, etc etc.... or can we pretty much call it at "U-Throw Nerf" as the only change?

Edit, possibly slightly off topic: Also, does anyone else feel that there may be a further "small" patch accompanying the general release of MewTwo? Outside of possibly making his customs available, but maybe fixing some stuff w/ MewTwo and some additional characters. Kind of like an 1.0.6.1?
I mean, you're doing what I'm doing. You're seeing it how you're seeing it. I still see me doing well on the ladder and placing top 5 consistently in offline tournies almost every weekend with the occasional win. I just accept it, find ways around it and move on. I'm stubbornly dedicated to this character. It's what I do. Even when ROB was actually bad in Brawl, I played my heart out with him and got results. I know you're not saying that he isn't viable or anything. But just saying that I don't see this nerf as much of an obstacle. It's not blind positivity. Bc believe me, I'm a lot more realistic in this game than I was in Brawl. I'm actually considering secondaries because I want to compete at a top level. I want top 16 at APEX, etc. If the nerf rly hit me that hard, I wouldn't still be considering accomplishing these goals with the bot.

Last edited:

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
I think both of you are trying to get across the point of "This is disappointing and probably ill deserved given R.O.B. is only like a top 15 character, but there's nothing we can do about it and it isn't the end of the world", just with polar differences in tone.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
*slow claps*

With the Wavebird tests, so far nothing has been uncovered physics-wise for ROB other than uthrow.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Considering that there are a decent number of glitches with Mewtwo currently, I think another small bugfix patch is almost assured. It might only touch on Mewtwo though, and I think it won't consider character balance at all.
Hopefully they fix some graphical glitches along with Mewtwo. I don't know, perhaps fixing ROB's eyes?
I think that would make sense, especially if they want to bugfix.

Please pardon this jumble of ideas: Even though ROB's Uthrow was unnecessarily nerfed, there is no need to act like it is crippling. Diddy's nerfs were crippling. It would be hard to work around Diddy's nerfs since his HooHah was his primary source of kills, but ROB's Uthrow doesn't quite define our playstyles as much. We can handle it. Besides, we are ROB. We will adapt. Resistance is futile.

Last edited:

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
The fact that ROB's eyes aren't fixed is pretty infuriating honestly. They go and fix infinite robo-burner but keep ROB emotionless in multiplayer modes. Sakurai why.... [Q_Q])

1FC0

Smash Lord
Weeeeeeeeeell, I don't want to generalize but I am guessing you might be part of the reason, and by part I mean most of the reason why you timed out? d:
No because I used an Upthrow that would have killed in 1.0.5 on his final stock with plenty of time.

InsaneSanity

Smash Rookie
NNID
InsaneSanity
3DS FC
3797-7902-2713
Obviously they nerfed ROB uthrow because otherwise it would steal the spotlight from Mewtwo's killing uthrow. Nintendo couldn't have a vanilla character supersede their new, shiny DLC character. /conspiracy
Not gonna lie, thought about this too
/conspiracy

1FC0

Smash Lord
The advantage of R.O.B'.s new Upthrow is indeed that I can torment my opponents longer. People who do not SD as soon as they see my R.O.B. insult me by acting as if they have a chance so I kinda enjoy toying with them. On FG 1v1 I often save my opponents by jumping after them and knocking them back with Uair or I spare them by not using Upthrow when Upthrow can kill. R.O.B. is unbeatable and always will be and even though Nintendo tries to make the robot weak like other characters R.O.B. can never be weak and anyone who disagrees come at me with your trash character and let me own you like the pathetic carbon based trash that you are!Nintendo tries it's best to nerf R.O.B. but they last laugh is R.O.B.'s cuz Nintendo failed big time like the scrubs that they are. For example today I Upthorw it dun kill cuz of patch? No worries I Upthrow again. Oh opponent go ded already? 2 bad I hoped he wud live cuz more Upthrows 4 me. next patch R.O.B. prolly has less Upthrow KB then with his current Dthrow well it dun matte ru no wat I do? UpthrowUpthrowUpthrow. UpthrowUpthrowUpthrow. UpthrowUpthrowUpthrow. UpthrowUpthrowUpthrow. UpthrowUpthrowU until he dies. R.O.B. wnins GG. even if its at 999%. R.O.B.'s grab cannot be evaded cuz R.O.B. unbeatable. He is a machine and is da best. I love R.O.B. so much and Nintendo cannot truly nerf him cuz this only delays the inevitable. with this halved Nintendo nerfed R.O.B.'s chance to win. Guess what? infinite%/2 = infinite %. R.O.B.'s chance to win is infinite. His score in Smash is so high Nintendo gets owned every time they think about him. He does no even afraid of anything. R.O.B. da best. Nintendo is powerless. They keep nerfing cuz theyr affraid. They keep reducing R.O.B.'s power. But infinite - x where x is a real always = infinite. Go ahead Nintendo R.O.B. is machine and ur just crazy bunch of scrubs. Come online and I will own u with R.O.B. Now I think of it I saw a guy whp played like Sakurai. Is R.O.B. nerfed cuz saku mad? Now he wants R.O.B. out of Smash? To bad scrub R.O.B. cannot leave Smash cuz you cannot remove infinite robo pwer Smash attack ultra super !!!! Nintendo r bunch of nusb they dun deserve R.O.B. if they cannot handle R.O.B. yes R.O.B. is strong yes R.O.B. is kool yes other characters r lame R.O.B. is best des that deserve nerf? No? Cuz only real master can ahndle R.O.B. and only real master shud win so actually Nintendo shud make his moves so strong they are stronger than really strongest. His laser shud b hot as the sun and burn his opponent to 999% with the knock greater than 99999 Bob-Ombs and then he shud have Gyro so strong that opponent loses 99999999 stock when touching it but R.O.B. not even if reflacted cuz R.O.B. super strong. They dun make R>O.B. super strong? Alright. R.O.B. win cuz R.O.B. still strong. Nintendo cannot win. Sakurai cannot win. R..O.b. win. With or withut Upthrow. In thsi game they already nerfed up B but do I care? Nah, sorry R.O.B. da best u cannot gimp him and also it is scientifically proven facthat R.O.B. need not move to win anyway just use ing=finti power gg oh u got owned well if u face R.O.B. u deserve it to get owned because living in same universe as him is super priviledge and also R.O.B. is so good when he gets nerfed he gets buffed cuz rly strong when he get buffed he get buffed when he stays same he get nuffed all rob always get better rob never loses rnage close air ground rob wins littl emac best on ground? uh no rob is this is scientifically proven by apples u wanna c evidence fine just put on aluminium hat for few days then aliens will lose mindcontrol over u and u will be enlightened and escape this matrix universe where rob seems beatable then u c wait a second rob not beatable rob da best nerf to rob actually buff to rob cuz rob da best rob only got nerfed cuz any buff is impossible in this real and goes to world in moon rob so good only with allumium hat u can c rob gud and then u will c he got actually buffed but not in this venus world cuz this vurtual not real well actually buff in this world 2 cuz rob also buffed but u dun c it cuz u not gud enough u have this in laser that gyro opponont woin lose apple pie dingeling hello

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
I think the Uthrow nerf is not that bad actually. The rage mecanic and ROB weight/recovery made his Uthrow really unfair: killing Mario at 110% with 100% rage was a little OP. Now it's as powerful as alph Uthrow, but with more rage abuse.
I mean i'm ashamed but prepatch i was playing sometimes like ness player in FG if you know what i mean:4rob::4rob::4rob:

Top Bottom