• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Matchup Analysis #28 - Mii Gunner

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
While I don't really have much experience with the matchup myself, I can't help but feel bad for a Matchup Analysis thread that has gone four days without any activity whatsoever, so here goes nothing.

Mii Gunner's Side-B 2 is super annoying since it passes through everything and outranges all of our projectiles. Down-B 2 and 3 are pretty bad for us because they hinder our harassment game at long range. None of the Up-B's seem too terribly problematic for us, although Up-B 2 is the only variant that can spike. Up-B 3 is like [Dark] Pit's in that it's relatively easy to gimp/spike on the way up, except Mii Gunner doesn't have multiple jumps to mix their recovery up with like [Dark] Pit does. While we might lose the zoning war here, I feel that once we get up close, we're definitely at a big advantage since Mii Gunner has a rough time getting out of a disadvantageous situation. No idea what the matchup ratio looks like (because really, who's ever fought a Mii Gunner), but I think we definitely win this one.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
We got literally no discussion here so I'm just gonna mark it as a 50:50 for the time being. I'm not TOO worried about this until after Evo anyway as this discussion may be irrelevant depending on how Evo goes.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
While I don't really have much experience with the matchup myself, I can't help but feel bad for a Matchup Analysis thread that has gone four days without any activity whatsoever, so here goes nothing.

Mii Gunner's Side-B 2 is super annoying since it passes through everything and outranges all of our projectiles. Down-B 2 and 3 are pretty bad for us because they hinder our harassment game at long range. None of the Up-B's seem too terribly problematic for us, although Up-B 2 is the only variant that can spike. Up-B 3 is like [Dark] Pit's in that it's relatively easy to gimp/spike on the way up, except Mii Gunner doesn't have multiple jumps to mix their recovery up with like [Dark] Pit does. While we might lose the zoning war here, I feel that once we get up close, we're definitely at a big advantage since Mii Gunner has a rough time getting out of a disadvantageous situation. No idea what the matchup ratio looks like (because really, who's ever fought a Mii Gunner), but I think we definitely win this one.
As a Mii Gunner main who is considering picking up ROB as a secondary, I have to disagree with your analysis. Although you are right about Mii Gunner winning the zoning war, it seems that you are not cognizant of Mii Gunner's best tools in this matchup. For example, Side B 2 isn't really used by most Gunners since it is our worst Side Special. Side B 3, Gunner missile is a bigger threat in this matchup since it pressures ROB and starts combos for Gunner. Another huge threat in this matchup is Gunner's neutral b 3, Grenade Launch. Although Gunner still wins this matchup without this move, it is very effective as a combo starter, zoning tool, and edgeguarding tool. The main tool that gives ROB the most trouble is Mii Gunner's fair. It allows Mii Gunner to dominate the neutral in this matchup due to the fact that it beats out everything ROB has except for Laser (Gunner can shorthop over laser while still using fair or Gunner can reflect it with down b 1). In addition, Mii Gunner's fair combos into other moves (there is a Mii Gunner true combo and follow up thread that includes this) and allows gunner to gundash for extra mobility (equal to the speed of a falcon kick without any landing lag) to reset to neutral.

Mii Gunner wins this matchup because Mii Gunner dominates the neutral and juggles ROB very hard with up air. Mii Gunner also can combo ROB pretty well due to ROB's size and weight. Mii Gunner also has projectiles such as flame pillar (side b 1) and grenade that are good for harassing ROB offstage. Although ROB can combo and edgeguard Gunner pretty well in this matchup, ROB has a hard time approaching. Furthermore, Gyro is difficult to use in this matchup due to Mii Gunner's fair knocking it off of the stage. Mii Gunner can also reflect Gyro or hold on to Gyro while zoning ROB out (this is more likely to happen when facing 3312 gunner).

This matchup has happened in a S@X tournament. If you look up Mik! vs Squeak on YouTube, and fast forward to the second Match, you will see Mik! use Mii Gunner to beat Squeak's ROB without losing a stock. Although Mik! was the better player with better knowledge of the matchup, it was clear that Mii Gunner's tools gave ROB problems. In conclusion, I think that Mii Gunner wins this matchup 60:40.

We got literally no discussion here so I'm just gonna mark it as a 50:50 for the time being. I'm not TOO worried about this until after Evo anyway as this discussion may be irrelevant depending on how Evo goes.
In order to get more discussion, you should post that you are discussing Mii Gunner in the Gunner matchup thread.

Top Bottom