• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. is really good, here's why!

Jee412

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jee412
First of all, i'm not for anything involve in the competitive side of Smash. I'm not a pro or anything but I've been experimenting a lot with R.O.B. lately.

I'm a Ness main since the beginning of Smash, all the way through 64. With Ness, I have a pretty decent V/L ratio, aprox. 80% I was thinking that for my style of play he was the man, the one who I'm gonna play with if I ever go to tournament...

But then I saw a Youtube video...

It was AceStarthethird, in his first undefeatable with R.O.B. and OMG did I was impress! The possibilities, the zoning, the follow-up, everything was right, so I played with R.O.B.

He his awesome. My V/L ratio with him must be 90% for sure (telling that with the stats in game online)

I've been practicing a lot with him and I've gather a few things that I always do to win easily with him.

1- ALWAYS, but I mean ALWAYS have a Gyro on stage. That thing make your opponent uncomfortable. They wont want to get past it or even grab it. I don't know why but it seem to really help just by having a Gyro on the stage. And yeah be sure to use is if you can, also Z-drop it, it's useful.

2- When someone roll towards you, DOWN SMASH. It work everytimes and it's quite a great punish. Plus, it can be follow up with a laser or a Gyro once they're on the ground.

3- Again you may say but hey ! For me it work. When they try to attack/grab you, you must spot dodge and then Down Smash. Yeah I know again but the move comes out really fast a last quite a bit so if they spot dodge, there's a chance you will hit them with it.

4- When they are off stage. I always jump, throw a Gyro and a laser towards them. Just don't make they're life easy. If they dodge, go after them and try a D-air to spike them, because they will usually be low because of the projectiles.

5- When you are around 80% (depending on the character) if you see the oppotunity, go for a grab-dthrow-upair. Around that % it will kill most of the cast. If they air dodge (they will) jump after them.... wait for the air dodge to finish then go for the up-air. Early kill are really hype to get and can get you a win if you are short behind.

6- You know about it but when you struggle to get the kill, go for a grab-upthrow. Around 135% it will kill on medium character. It's an easy kill so go for it.

Also, don't forget the usual short hop nair which is really good.

I think most of the thing was quite simple but the thing that I rarely see by R.O.B. players are the Down smash to punish. It's really good, not really punnishable if shielded and it works 4/5 times. It's a good 10% easy. Add that with the Gyro, the grab follow up, the lasers... and you have a real killing machine.

It really bugs me to say it but, i'm at the limit of putting him my mains since he his sooo good.

All Hail Robot Operating Buddy!!

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Glad you're enjoying ROB, I see you're really getting the jist of the character. But keep in mind that all of that advice isn't cookie cutter. Having your gyro out means you can't gyro cancel, a very important tech for ROB, so having it out 24/7 can sometimes be bad news for you. While D-Smash is a good roll catcher, keep in mind that the endlag is high and easy to punish, if you try to read a roll and whiff, it could be lights out for the lil robot.

Last edited:

Jee412

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jee412
I didn't know about that Gyro cancel? Maybe i'll go check it out to see if it fits my style of gameplay :)

And like I said about my D-Smash roll catcher, really, I don't miss it that much. 9/10 times it works so at that point i'm still at 20-30% while he his in the 100%+ so the game is surely mine. The opponent really struggle landing hits on me with all that nair, Gyro and laser to zone that I reallly find it easy to play as R.O.B. Maybe even too easy that sometimes I go back to Ness to see if the opponent struggle as much and it's more difficult with Ness.

R.O.B. is just really that good, I think that when you know how to use it, he is maybe A+ tier...

1FC0

Smash Lord
That is right replace those Nesses under your NNID 1 by 1 with R.O.B.'s!

Jee412

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jee412
I would love to, but I just love Ness as a character since the 64 days... but R.O.B. is my powerful secondary ;p

Also, did you notice that on the character select screen they are one beside another? That game was made for me. Geno confirm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom