• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B Control Scheme Thread

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Discuss what your control schemes are, and why you use them.

Controls are an important part of competitive play. Default controls can limit what you can do, the best control scheme would be the one that is the most comfortable, familiar and doesn't prohibit certain actions. The point of this thread is to share ideas, and to maybe develop the "most optimal" R.O.B control set up.

Smashboards only has GC controller pictures, and I believe most people use the GC controller / a look a like. But, still share if you play on 3DS / Wiichuck / Classic (Pro). You could still help someone.

------

Things to keep in mind when discussing and making your control scheme:

Perfect Pivoting:
Perfect Pivoting is much more useful with tilt stick (c-stick :GCCN: set to "attack") on.

Instant Gyro Cancels:
IGC is much more useful with another special button, preferably the shield button you don't use and not one of the other face buttons. Using :GCB: to initiate the gyro charge limits the tilts you can do out of it. It's fine if you only want to use dtilt, though. Tilt stick is preferred for IGC as well, as you don't have to move the main stick as much, which makes performing it much faster and consistent.

As a side note, click the smiley face button above the text box, then go to "GC Buttons" to show pictures of the Gamecube controller buttons.

------

Now, for my controls. I'm only listing what buttons I have edited, anything not shown is default. Feel free to do it however you want, though.

Rumble is off

:GCU: tap jump is off

:GCA:+:GCB: a+b smash attacks are off.

Up on the :GCDpad: is "grab". This means you have to let go of the stick, making z-drops much easier. Shout outs to Mister Eric Mister Eric .

:GCCN: is set to attack for PP and IGC.

:GCX: is set to grab. X being a different input than Y means that you can actually mash faster if you do it correctly. Also, it's just closer to my thumb and easier to press.

:GCLT: I use R to shield, and I have no idea what to use L for. Right now I have it as jump but I never use it, I'm thinking of switching it to special for easier IGCs.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
This will be fun.
Keep in mind this is how I use my controls for ROB. It can vary from char to char for me.

Tap Jump = off

All those other options on the right side of your control scheme = off

:GCA: Attack

:GCB: Special
:GCY: Jump - Allows me to slide my thumb from Y to A to do the quickest possible Short Hop Nairs and Fairs.
:GCX:Grab - I got used to this grab button in brawl and it also helps me do Short Hop Z grabs by rolling my thumb from Y to X very quickly. Also allows me to do Z drop nairs easily by sliding my thumb from X to A while in the air.
:GCRT: Shield
:GCLT:Jump or Special - I am trying to make this become my special button because it makes doing instant gyro cancelling much easier. But I originally used this for jumping with beep boops because it allowed me to jump and do an Up air while never having to take my left thumb off of left or right on the stick. If I jumped with Y, I would have to take my thumb is bring it all the way to the c stick for the up air. If I decided to up air with Up and A, then my left thumb would have to hit up at some point which decreases the amount of horizontal distance I cover when beepbooping. I am now trying to use Z to jump for beepboops.

:GCZ: Jump - I use this for beep boops now (See L button input). I will use my index finger to jump and my thumb to up air, while my left thumb is always holding left or right depending on your DI.

:GCCN: Attack (tilt sticking) - Makes walking tilts so much easier. Makes instant gyro cancelling a dream. Makes perfect pivot have more options. If you have smash stick on instead, and you do an aerial with the c stick, for some reason your momentum will decrease as long as you have the c stick held.
:GCDpad: Up D pad is grab - I use this for when I want to Z drop the gyro into a regrab with fair, bair, etc. I don't use it for nair tho. Explained above. The reason I use the dpad like this is so I never hard toss the gyro. If I am moving left or right, and I lift my left thumb off the control stick and hit D pad up, I know I am not holding left, right, up or down. I know that I will never hard toss the gyro. Think of it as training wheels for z drop aerials.

If you have any questions about my control scheme feel free to ask.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I have just recently started using my L jump for beep boops, and it's amazing. Literally hours before a tournament I tried it out and I loved it. I recommend every R.O.B that has an unused trigger try it. Also, I think it would be great for auto canceled Uairs if I could perfect short hopping with it.

MD_Orpheus

Smash Rookie
NNID
MD_Orpheus
Seems pretty fun. Mine might be a little bit basic though lol.

:GCA:Attack

:GCB:Special

:GCCN: Set to attacks courtesy of Mister Eric. So I can perform my aerials and tilts easier.

:GCX:Grab for z drops and pivot grabs.

:GCZ: Shield. It helps make b-reverse gyro cancels in mid-air easier for me since I don't really care to use the triggers for it.

:GCY: Jump

:GCU: Tap Jump is off

:GCLT: Shield

:GCRT: Grab. This one is kind of a hold over from the 3ds days where I did not like R for grabs at all. So I switch them xD.

Up D pad is grab - I use this for when I want to Z drop the gyro into a regrab with fair, bair, etc. I don't use it for nair tho. Explained above. The reason I use the dpad like this is so I never hard toss the gyro

I would actually love to try this :0

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
[QUOTE="MD_Orpheus, post: 20844189, member: 340134]
I would actually love to try this :0[/QUOTE]

I use it and it's great.

F!NAL_F0RM

Smash Rookie
NNID
F1NAL_F0RM
3DS FC
2208-6769-2044
:GCCN: set to tilts for jc item toss and because it's easier to perform smash attacks than tilts
:GCDpad:set to grab for z dropping
:GCLT:set to jump for jc item toss
:GCY:set to grab so that I don't have to move my finger from the shield button

Top Bottom