• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R&L's Hitboxes?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Now is it me or do R&L have a bad case of ****box Syndrome? It's most noticeable with Up and Down Smash. But it happens with F tilt, Up air, and Up tilt to. I swear to God I'll be right next to people and I won't hit them. Unless I'm outside my right, I don't think it's me. Like, what the actual ****?

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You basically need to know which attacks to use for which situation. Forward tilt and down tilt are all horizontal, while up tilt and up air are all vertical.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Up smash does have some horizontal distance, but only if the fighter is standing right in front of Rosalina. As for down smash, it's basically an all horizontal attack.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Rosalina's galaxy effects for fsmash, dsmash, and bair also don't have hitboxes out for the entire animation, it's a quick burst as they appear and that's it. Looks a bit weird but you have to take it into account.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Rosalina's galaxy effects for fsmash, dsmash, and bair also don't have hitboxes out for the entire animation, it's a quick burst as they appear and that's it. Looks a bit weird but you have to take it into account.
Ahh, now I get you. That makes sense. Well actually no it don't, but I know now. So she's got Meta Knight Syndrome?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Ahh, now I get you. That makes sense. Well actually no it don't, but I know now. So she's got Meta Knight Syndrome?
Not really? Her range is more or less exactly as you see (i.e. fairly big and disjointed as hell) but the hitboxes don't stick around as long as the pretty galaxy effects do, so if you just barely mistime a bair, for instance, then you'll see the enemy fall into the galaxy to absolutely no effect. Because the hitbox has come and gone already. But if you had timed it just a bit better then you would have scored a clean hit.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Not really? Her range is more or less exactly as you see (i.e. fairly big and disjointed as hell) but the hitboxes don't stick around as long as the pretty galaxy effects do, so if you just barely mistime a bair, for instance, then you'll see the enemy fall into the galaxy to absolutely no effect. Because the hitbox has come and gone already. But if you had timed it just a bit better then you would have scored a clean hit.
Huh. Interesting. Stupid, but interesting. Guess that solves the great mystery of why my opponent can stand there and read a book while I try to hit them.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
All right. Now what about up and down smash. Can you explain those?
As a side note, I've had solo-Rosalina Up Smash miss quite a bit against short and grounded opponents ( even against Ness height, it sometimes swoops right over them ). As for down smash, it's really never an issue if you have Luma beside you; it's not even a hitbox issue, just having four separate hitboxes come out is really unlikely to miss anyone close. Other than that, it takes quite a bit to get used to all the hitboxes in her key, they are pretty weird.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
As a side note, I've had solo-Rosalina Up Smash miss quite a bit against short and grounded opponents ( even against Ness height, it sometimes swoops right over them ).
they shrunk solo rosalina's upsmash hitbox with the patch. it was said to be a small increase but i am noticing it more and more. it's so unreliable to connect with horizontally. most of the time it will but like, lets say zelda up b's onto the stage right in front of you and you dont get hit and she's in her recovery animation, you can whiff using usmash oos because zelda moves a bit in that lag animation. it's not bad if you have luma, but it's awful for hitting behind you. it's super reliable for punishing fatties tho.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
As a side note, I've had solo-Rosalina Up Smash miss quite a bit against short and grounded opponents ( even against Ness height, it sometimes swoops right over them ). As for down smash, it's really never an issue if you have Luma beside you; it's not even a hitbox issue, just having four separate hitboxes come out is really unlikely to miss anyone close. Other than that, it takes quite a bit to get used to all the hitboxes in her key, they are pretty weird.
Yeah, I've kinda gravitated (insert Beavis laugh) away from her because of her ****boxes. That, and 104 ****ed with her best kill move. I might just pick her back up. I usually like to have Luma away ready to jump anybody who tries to run, so problem # I lost count.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
Rosalina has amazing range with her hitboxes, but it takes some time to understand them.

For example, when Luma is attached to her, the two main hitboxes are right in front of Rosalina and the area in front of Luma. But there's a spot in between Rosalina and Luma in which her Smash won't hit nearly as hard.

But if you manage to hit with Luma, the base knock back is incredible. Luma's forward smash consistently KO's opponents around 60% if you hit them at the edge of the stage, no exaggeration. I'm not even talking about against characters with bad jumps that can't recover to the stage. I'm talking about knocking them clear off the map. Hitting with a charged Luma forward smash in the sweet spot is basically a Warlock Punch.

Her up-smash and espeically her down-smash cover a lot of range, when Luma is with you. But her up-smash won't hit at all if your opponent is behind both you and Luma, so be carefuly of that.

Other than that, I'm not really sure what to say. Rosalina and Luma have amazing hitboxes, once you understand how they work.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Rosalina has amazing range with her hitboxes, but it takes some time to understand them.

For example, when Luma is attached to her, the two main hitboxes are right in front of Rosalina and the area in front of Luma. But there's a spot in between Rosalina and Luma in which her Smash won't hit nearly as hard.

But if you manage to hit with Luma, the base knock back is incredible. Luma's forward smash consistently KO's opponents around 60% if you hit them at the edge of the stage, no exaggeration. I'm not even talking about against characters with bad jumps that can't recover to the stage. I'm talking about knocking them clear off the map. Hitting with Luma in the sweet spot is basically a Warlock Punch.

Her up-smash and espeically her down-smash cover a lot of range, when Luma is with you. But her up-smash won't hit at all if your opponent is behind both you and Luma, so be carefuly of that.

Other than that, I'm not really sure what to say. Rosalina and Luma have amazing hitboxes, once you understand how they work.
Then I must be clueless as all hell. Thank ya kindly for the info though.

Top Bottom