• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.I.P Gematsu (June 2013 - July 14 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
So can we assume that Gematsu is wrong? Salromano got an e-mail last night saying that the trailer today would be Shulk. And not only was he wrong, but the video included TWO characters that Sal completely left off his lists.

Now it's been noted that Sal's leak doesn't necessarily mean that there are no more newcomers after the list. But completely whiffing here? Can we agree that Gematsu is no longer gospel?

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Didn't people start speculating that the list the Gematsu list had was possibly only the newcomers that we'd be given a trailer and shown before release?

I'm sure this started when Sakurai tweeted the announcement for the Monday Character Reveal.

Either way, it's still possible that the characters from Gematsu will be in, just that there are some that even Gematsu doesn't know.

Maybe Sakurai knew about the leak well before hand and got trailers made for characters he wasn't originally going to reveal in the livestream?

josh bones

Smash Lord
I think you're forgetting something, chrom could have been a placeholder as easily as pokemon from x/y. The diffrence is the 2 characters left have no suitable replacements.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Didn't people start speculating that the list the Gematsu list had was possibly only the newcomers that we'd be given a trailer and shown before release?

I'm sure this started when Sakurai tweeted the announcement for the Monday Character Reveal.

Either way, it's still possible that the characters from Gematsu will be in, just that there are some that even Gematsu doesn't know.

Maybe Sakurai knew about the leak well before hand and got trailers made for characters he wasn't originally going to reveal in the livestream?
Two things. He said Shulk would be today's trailer. Didn't happen. It also said Chrom would be playable. Didn't happen either. So not only was the leak incomplete (Rosalina threw this in as a wrench) but Chrom not being playable totally debunks it. We're basically at Square one again.

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
I lost all faith in the leak today, myself. Not to say Shulk or Chorus Men are deconfirmed, it's just that they're chances in my eyes have drastically dropped (Chorus Men moreso than Shulk).

Calcobrena

Smash Cadet
Call me crazy, but it almost feels like the Gematsu leak was 'fabricated' (not untrue, but staged). Almost as if, along with thatretweet by that Xenoblade gentleman, it was made to deceive people on purpose.

Probably unlikely, but that's the feeling I get.

NWRL

Smash Ace
No, Gematsu specifically stated Chrom as a playable character, so it's dead. RIP. Everyone can stop talking about it.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
How bizarre, Chrom was also disconfirmed in the most spectacular way possible. Call me paranoid, but it almost seems like Sakurai LET this leak happen to intentionally make us believe it, then dash it all with this trailer.

I'm still confused how it managed to get all the characters right up to this point though. GAH!

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
I think that while the leak might have been credible with the early reveals, it holds no water nowadays. I'm anxious to see if Sal claims that he's still right or admits to being wrong.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
First leak came true. Second leak is dead. Third leak we won't know until release or a Lucas announcement.

Part of me thinks that the second leak isn't true now. Specifically stated it was Chrom, and a Pokémon from X & Y and Palutena weren't exactly hard guesses. Shulk still has a decent shot, but Chorus Men are very questionable now. Furthermore, Ridley, K. Rool, Dixie and Isaac's chances all skyrocketed.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
It feels like Sakurai just got crazy with the Gematsu and changed the plans after the leak (yes, there was enough time to model a new character, please check the Gematsu leak date...)

Trailer is so obviously well prepared to debunk Gematsu, everybody expected Chrom and Shulk, we saw Chrom and we saw Robin with a hood very similar to Shulk in the first sight, so people who watch the trailer was like " Oh my god it is Chrom, OH MY GOD ITS SHULK?! " then he gave us Lucina and Robin instead, also Captain Falcon... Seriously guys, if this isn't trolling, then what is it?

I am also extremely depressed about Captain Falcon's comeback. I HATE him and if he's going to be an unlockable i won't unlock him just because i don't want to see a slot wasted like this...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just got a warning on miiverse for not putting a spoiler over "Gematsu deconfirmed"

WishOn

Smash Cadet
NNID
WishOn
3DS FC
4828-5426-2919
Yup, anything could happen at this point.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Ding Dong the leak is dead. Sakurai's brought more plot twists than M. Night Shymalan to the world of Smash speculation this time around.

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna say it's fake FOR NOW, but in the future if Shulk or Chorus Men are revealed I'm gonna go back to having faith in it.

Simensis

Smash Apprentice
I believe the whole Sal Romano thing was right when he talked about Pac-Man, Little Mac, and the Miis. He just went crazy talking about the other newcomers hoping he would also be right and now that is debunked. Anyways I'm happy, now we can expect to be surprised again.

Khao

Smash Lord
I once said that the only thing that will confirm/deconfirm this thing is Chorus Men. (Like, not even Shulk today would've done it for me.)

I'm still going by it.

I'm definitely leaning towards "this ****'s false," and I've been leaning there since the start.

But if Chorus Men comes up, then yeah.

Last edited:

Gravitational23

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gravitational23
I'm so glad that gematsu is finally dead but we are still likely to get the chorus men as we saw the rhythm heaven enemy in smash run.

ShAd3

Smash Rookie
I know its hard to not trust something that was almost spot on. But Gematsu is just another reason why we shouldn't trust these "leaked character" lists. You'll be disappointed if you get your hopes up.

josh bones

Smash Lord
Consider this, if lucina is an alt, then she wouldnt count as a character. This convinces me that the leaked arent are only new characters

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
Gg guys gg.

I'm both happy and upset about this. Hope we still get shulk but I'm kind of excited that we might be hit with a few surprises now.

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
Gematsu took a huge blow, but I wouldn't say it's dead. It still predicted pretty well and even though it was wrong about Chrom that doesn't necessarily rule the other characters out. But only time can tell.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
The leak has been killed, there's literally no way of defending the leak now

Jacob Holman

Smash Rookie
R.I.P. Gematsu, to be honest im happy of this being untrue. I want to have free speculation for Smash and a lot less arguing all over whether it is real or not. Although a Shulk charater would still be cool.
By the way im sorry but Gematsu is dead! It was wrong, we should all stop defending the "leak".

Last edited:

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
So glad this is untrue, not for the characters not being in or anything. But for it just spoiling the hype and just the general attitude of these forums.

That being said, I believe a certain someone owes me an apology!

Last edited:

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
even if gematsu is dead we still can get shulk and chorus men because of the sneaky ghost in smash run and for shulk we have is voice actor tweeting about his upcoming projects so we still might get them

Typs

Smash Cadet
So what did we learn today?

Never EVER believe a leak 100%, there is always a chance that it's fake. Even if everything about it seems real, keep in mind that the info could be old or simply made up.

That said don't reject every leak you see, just look at it closely and decide if it's "likely but it could be fake", "unlikely but it could be real" or "goku is in it, 100% fake".

Untouch

Smash Master
Chorus Men still have a chance, the smash run enemy is there (unless sakurai put them there just to **** with people, which wouldn't surprise me).

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
So what did we learn today?

Never EVER believe a leak 100%, there is always a chance that it's fake. Even if everything about it seems real, keep in mind that the info could be old or simply made up.

That said don't reject every leak you see, just look at it closely and decide if it's "likely but it could be fake", "unlikely but it could be real" or "goku is in it, 100% fake".
the only leak I've ever seen in turn out to be true is one where someone too screenshots of MW3's weapons being developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom