• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quickplay: Taunt Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madison Turner

Smash Cadet
Hi friends! I think taunt messages are under utilized, and they help to humanize an experience that can feel a bit robotic and sterile considering you can't communicate with opponents by speaking or typing. I wanted to make a post to just throw out there that you should consider setting your taunt messages and using them more regularly, particularly positive ones :) There's a "Good luck! Have fun!" one that's great for starting matches (I've played a ton of Starcraft in my time, and it's just expected that you type a "glhf" when you start each game). There's also some good ones for after the match, like "Good fight!" and "Well played." I got a "You're pretty good" after playing (and losing) to a successful tournament player, and hey, that feels pretty good and can soften a loss! It's easy to do, and I think makes the experience a bit more enjoyable.

Anyways, I just wanted to make that suggestion! Happy smashing!

Great Potato

Smash Cadet
I like to start my battles with

"Make no mistake- I will win!"

I'll occasionally go for sportsmanship, but being a heel is just too much fun.

Last edited:

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
I post hfgl and well played every match. I feel better because i hate the feeling that my opponent could think im salty. In Addition to that I never T-Bag my opponents.

I think we should respect each other while playing online. I’m more motivated to play the game when I’m meeting respectful players. So i am respectful to my opponent everytime.

ALiBi212

Smash Cadet
NNID
ALiBi212
Yes, yes, yes! We need to use taunt messages and rematches more often. I love playing a best of 5 against an opponent who uses taunt messages well.

We start of respectful, then by game 5 we’re just messing around and joking with each other. My favorite is “eat this - - - MEGASMASH!” It’s so stupid it’s hilarious.

Also, in response to teabagging; if an opponent is winning and won’t stop teabagging (especially if they’re playing a spammy character) that’s annoying and disrespectful. However, if we are in a heated matchup, and they make an amazing comeback then proceed to celebrate by teabagging, I just see that as silly. No harm no foul, we’re just having fun and poking jabs at each other!

Last edited:

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
"Looks like we don't have a choice..." is the perfect pre-match taunt when you're forced into a 3-way or Free-for-All. Generally I go with "YOOOOOO!" especially if I'm playing Daisy - since she yells that anyway.

And if you wanna be a salty monster, say "Lucky!" after every loss. :p

Madison Turner

Smash Cadet
I know they exist, but wow do I keep forgetting to use them.
I have "Good luck! Have fun!" set to all four directions on my d-pad, and before each match starts I just roll around all the directions like to get started on moving around on the controller quickly (otherwise I'd usually just be moving the left control stick back and forth or mashing the other buttons anyways).

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
When I come from a winning streak I usually go for the "It's time" to get me pumped.
If I find a great player that rematches and adapts to my playstyle and viceversa I go with the "You are amazing" / "You are pretty good".

Other things I do are some for trolling some for fun:
- Puff's slow walk looks damn disrespectful after a Sing, only use this on lame players.
- Puff's :GCL::GCR: :GCL::GCR: is also funny, I use this when fooling around with my opponent going for the craziest stuff.
- Puff's t-bagging same as the slow walk only on lame characters.
- Megaman's toe slip.
- Megaman / Ness / Lucas head bang when pulling a sick edgeguard or combo.

I still do the hold crouch for respecting an SD, dunno if players still understand it as me saying "I'm sorry you SD'd" or just think i'm t-bagging.
I try to be as respectful as I can.

We should have a Online Etiquette thread so we can give meaning to certain actions.
Since we can't actually use taunt messages while on Quickplay.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I like to end matches with "Fun times!" when I win a match that was not fun at all for my opponent.

Semako

Smash Cadet
I like to start with "I'' grab ya and I'll throw ya" when I play as DK :D
Also, I love DK's down taunt, especially when something janky happens, but that, unfortunately, doesn't work in quickplay....

Great Potato

Smash Cadet
I have "You saved me!" me in my lineup because it seems like such a goofy and out of place thing to say that I can't help but love it, I assume it was probably meant for team battles when your partner gets you out of a bad situation. Though I did get knocked out of helpless state once on my last stock off-stage by a guy who tried going for the disrespect which allowed me to recover while he plummeted to his death, and suddenly "You saved me!" became the perfectly fitting taunt to rub it in.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
DybJ1T3U8AEvSnV.jpeg.jpg

These are the messages I have.

To be completely honest, I don't use taunt messages nearly as much as I'd like to because I rarely get any kind of response, and people normally leave after one or two games, especially in Elite Smash. Even in public arenas, where these things would be most useful, nobody sends me messages back. Back when I first got the game, I'd begin every match with a, "Good luck! Have fun!" and I'd get something maybe once every fifteen or so opponents, and while that's gone up a little bit, I still feel like I'm shouting into the void more often than not. So most of the time, I end up not using them until the person I'm with has stayed with me for a bit. But I'll always say something back if my opponent does it (or taunt if I didn't push it fast enough, and hope they take it the right way).

Whether my opponents say anything or not, however, I'll usually say, "One more battle!" after a long session with one (group of) player(s) and then once that battle's over, I'll give them a, "Thanks for playing," which is also my default ending message. I had "Last one." and "GGs!" tags in Smash 4 that I used on For Glory in a similar way.

Mr. G&W

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.G-W
3DS FC
4725-7944-0757
Switch FC
SW-1951-5696-0402
I don't think it's cool to make fun of people for not playing well. That is, if you mean teabagging or BS like that; it just makes you come off as an idiot who sucks at sportsmanship, and it gives gamers a bad name. We should be encouraging others and telling them to keep trying, not make fun of them and say stuff that may as well be like saying, "Play better, idiot!" and "haha u suk git gud r git ot." You just don't do that.

There's nothing wrong with saying "Good fight!," though I've been taunted by teabagging jerks who used messages like that and "You almost had me!" when they two-stocked me in such a way that is malicious and dickish. However, if someone teabags me and pushes me, I push back.

Last edited:

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
I don't think it's cool to make fun of people for not playing well. That is, if you mean teabagging or BS like that; it just makes you come off as an idiot who sucks at sportsmanship, and it gives gamers a bad name. We should be encouraging others and telling them to keep trying, not make fun of them and say stuff that may as well be like saying, "Play better, idiot!" and "haha u suk git gud r git ot." You just don't do that.

There's nothing wrong with saying "Good fight!," though I've been taunted by teabagging jerks who used messages like that and "You almost had me!" when they two-stocked me in such a way that is malicious and dickish. However, if someone teabags me and pushes me, I push back.
What’s your highest gsp?

Mr. G&W

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.G-W
3DS FC
4725-7944-0757
Switch FC
SW-1951-5696-0402
Around 4,930,000.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman

i agree and disagree, i will explain! xD

if the bad player is respectful and just plays however they like then sure no complaints here

but the thing is..some bad players think taking a stock makes it necessary to teabag and i see that as disrespect and being rude to me,
the thing with me is, if someone disrespects me or rude to me i will return the favor but 100 times more! i will teabag after each stock i take from them and i won't stop until they left the lobby, it's not me who started it and it doesn't affect my playstyle but i will still let them know that they shouldn't had done that cause even in FFA matches i will only teabag the person who was disrespectful like that to me,

i treat others the way they treat me that's just how i am tbh :l

maaaaan we need taunts back at least this doesn't feel like disrespect to me taunts are just fun to use in general!

Mr. G&W

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.G-W
3DS FC
4725-7944-0757
Switch FC
SW-1951-5696-0402
Like I said, somebody pushes me, I push back. I don't like to do it, but sometimes I will if I get pushed enough. Also, from what I've seen, there is a difference between psychological warfare and being an outright douchebag.

Last edited:

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
The current ones just dont express how alot of us feel accurately. I opt for ones loke

Nice projectile spam
Who has items turned on??
Must feel brave camping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom