• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick question abuot Japanese Wii imported

onlymaskde

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure it will work okay in your outlet. Weird though, cause I think that American plugs won't fit into Japanese ones, but theirs fit into ours.

The "120v" and "110v" are the levels of voltage the plugs has. You may want to watch out with this, because a level of voltage that you're not used to may harm the console or you. It seems that the Japanese one has less voltage, though.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
thanks for your insight man

anyone else able to add to this? i just want to be 100% **** sure before i plug that wii into my wall

-Ka-

Smash Journeyman
thanks for your insight man

anyone else able to add to this? i just want to be 100% **** sure before i plug that wii into my wall
I've been to Japan and brought back a lot of electronic merchandise (guitar, electric vadge), all of which ran fine in a US socket.

The 10th volt difference doesn't do any harm at all and will work fine.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
hey, you're from AZ too! haha. you should go to the next tucson tourney and money match me!

anywyas, thanks for the info

are there any risks in excessive use of the console plugged into a normal american outlet? i mean like playing it for 8 hours straight, will it damage the system at all?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ahh, yes, Japanese appliances in America. Here's the deal:

Japanese outlets supply 100 Volts AC at either 50 or 60hz depending on the local region. American outlets supply 120 Volts AC at 60hz.

This in a nutshell means that American outlets put out more electricity than Japanese ones. So if you bring a Japanese appliance over from the land of the rising sun and plug it into your outlet at home, it's getting more electricity than it's supposed to.

Depending on exactly what appliance it is, you can experience:
-Overheating
-Complete Meltdown
-Reduced Lifespan
-Nothing at all

Many devices list what voltage they can handle on them. It is not uncommon for laptops to accept anything in the range 100-200 Volts. Unfortunately for you, however, Nintendo does not want you to import Wii's to the states. Consequently the Japanese Wii does not accept 120V.

You can get around this by buying a transformer (probably off the internet, I don't know where to get them from a store). Just google "transformer voltage japanese".

You'll find that they generally run in the $30 range, give or take...

Enjoy!

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
is that the only option or could ijust plug my american wii power supply into it lol
i don't want to have to go buy more stuff since i already owe my parents like 90 bucks right now

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
'fraid not. You can plug it into the wall... but stand back... :p An American power supply would just supply MORE power, remember?

You just couldn't wait, huh Gamer? Gotta go to all this trouble just to play it a bit earlier?

Level 9

Smash Apprentice
I'm not you Gamer but if I had just put down that kind of money on an item that I couldn't easily replace I would fight tooth & nail to control myself from even thinking about using it until I knew beyond any possible doubt it wouldn't ever break because of anything I did to it...

Top Bottom