• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Questions

FluxCapacitor

Smash Rookie
I had a few technical and strategy questions regarding a few aspects of this game. Any help would be appreciated.

First; I know that jumping into someone with a shield on significantly slows down the velocity of the jumper. However, I would like to know if this changes the required timing of the L-cancel.

Second; How does one deal with players that play very defensively; as in staying relatively stationary, shield grabbing a lot, and playing more reactively than aggressively?

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'm not good at beating various playstyles, but I think I can answer your first question.
If you hit the shield, it doesn't affect the timing in that you still hit the trigger right about as you hit the ground. however if you, say, use Link's dair and bounce off the shield it will take longer before you hit the ground and therefore be longer before you need to l-cancel.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Your first question has been answered, to Lcancel you must hit L/R/Z 6 frames before hitting the ground or the frame you hit the ground, so if the shield slows you down, you will have to wait a lil longer to lcancel.

As for the second, if depends on the character, but assuming your friends is mostly a newb, just learn to play fox or falco. Spend a could days practicing shuffled dairs into the shine. That will be all you need to be beat him. With Falco, I would simply camp lasers (learn to shl), and then anytime he decides to finally do something, simply shuffle some dairs and pillar him. With Fox, you can also camp lasers, but it is less effective. Instead, shuffle a dair into either an up smash or a grab, after being hit with this enough he should simply give up shield grabbing all together.

The other option is to just play as Peach.

pdk

Smash Lord
it depends on the move used; if i recall there's a slight pause when you hit a shield but it's minor, although link's dair is probably the only case where timing changes

and if the defensive player is marth/roy then try baiting him to counter (space an attack so it barely misses, jump in then jump out when they expect you to attack, etc.) then grab him; and always be sure to explot the full range on attacks (fast ones particularly) so you can poke them from just beyond their grabbing range

Smash Master
If a player camps, out camp him/her with a character with a good projectile game (Link, Samus, Falco)

Lightshade

Smash Ace
If your opponent plays defensive, throw projectiles at them, force them to move. Once they do that, you can formulate a counter plan based on how they are currently reacting. For this stratagy, I highly reccomend Fox; his blaster can be very fustrating.

Superstar

Smash Champion
The first question is already answered.

Spamming projectiles is the best way to make them come at you.

I'm taking a stab in the dark here [I don't really play a variety of people], but I assume a fakeout tactic works fine. Run at him, and then wavedash backwards when you get close. I assume a good player may find a way to stop this, but against lower level players, this might work wonders.

You could also dashdance to lure an attack. Always try to mix up the ending of the dashdance, because if you always run after them after a dashdance, it might not work so well.

Top Bottom