• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Questions to Those who Listened, Played Touhou Games, or Both

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
Since I noticed there are some people who have their Touhou avatar, signature, or both. I was wondering if you (as you read the title) can asked some of my questions below.

1. What month and year did you discovered Touhou?

2. If you did discovered Touhou, where did you discover it?

3. What is your favorite Touhou music? You can pick one or some of the songs.

4. What is your favorite Touhou characters?

5. To those who play a Touhou game, which one did you play it first? You can skip this one if you haven't play it.

6. Related to question 5, would you rather prefer to try the easy difficulty? Or would you rather prefer to try the normal difficulty? Again you can skip this question if you haven't play a Touhou game.

7. If there is a Touhou fighting game that has the Smash Bros or Street Fighter mechanics, which Touhou characters would you main?

8. Smash Bros mechanics or Street Fighter mechanics for the Touhou fighting game?

If you want an example of mine...

1. I discovered Touhou at December 2008.

2. I watch this Youtube video at the time I first discovered Touhou:
Although I don't know what is going on that Pikmin video, I notice a thumbnail of a related video where a girl and her living doll was mad and starts running. It looks weird so I decided to watch that video for curiosity. It revealed that the related video was Marisa Stole the Precious Thing (reverse version) and that the angry girl was Alice. It also revealed that the song of Marisa Stole the Precious Thing was the same song as the Pikmin video that I watched before. As such I look at Marisa Stole the Precious Thing in the Youtube search bar and it turns out that the video was a fanmade PV of the Touhou franchise.

That song was one of my Top 10 Favorite Touhou Songs though.

4. Youmu, Yuyuko, Alice, Junko, Byakuren, Komachi, Koishi, Kokoro, Miko, and Marisa. Top 10. No order.

5. Imperishable Night was my first Touhou game.

6. I rather play the easy difficulty because I'm going for the higher scores.

7. Youmu and Komachi.

8. I prefer the Smash Bros mechanics for the Touhou fighting game.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
Oooh, this looks fun.

1. December of 2013. Forgot the day but I remember it was on December.

4. Marisa Kirisame, Sumireko Usami and Youmu Konpaku. Top 3. In order.

5. Like most Touhou fans, I started with EoSD (Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil)

6. Normal difficulty as easy is, well, too easy. I'm actually attempting the Hard difficulty nowadays

7. Marisa and Sumireko

8. Can't say since I like the mechanics of the current Touhou fighting games with ULiL being my favorite. But I guess Street Fighter style works?

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
1. What month and year did you discovered Touhou? Sometime in 2010, don't remember the month. It was a gradual thing.

2. If you did discovered Touhou, where did you discover it? Lots of people from another community I was a part of were all into touhou.

3. What is your favorite Touhou music? You can pick one or some of the songs. Chinese Tea and Riverside View, off the top of my head.

4. What is your favorite Touhou characters? Hong Meiling, Reisen Inaba, Iku Nagae, Komachi whatsherface.

5. To those who play a Touhou game, which one did you play it first? You can skip this one if you haven't play it. Technically I played Megamari first, but the first traditional shooter I played was TH6.

6. Related to question 5, would you rather prefer to try the easy difficulty? Or would you rather prefer to try the normal difficulty? Again you can skip this question if you haven't play a Touhou game. Normal. Too prideful to go on easy but not patient enough for anything above normal.

7. If there is a Touhou fighting game that has the Smash Bros or Street Fighter mechanics, which Touhou characters would you main? probably just my favorites mentioned above.

8. Smash Bros mechanics or Street Fighter mechanics for the Touhou fighting game? just give me another game like 12.3 please

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
1. Winter 2008.
2. Introduced to me by a friend who saw I was playing ABA STGs and thought I'd have more fun with a bullet hell game featuring cute girls.
3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12AHLzW4kks (I also like Witches Ball ~ Magus, but I'm not sure if Seihou songs count https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPwCCoPhy7k )
4. Kirisame Marisa, Flandre Scarlet, Kijin Seija
5. EoSD
6. I regularly play whichever mode I believe I can eventually 1CC. That's usually Normal.
7. I play Marisa, Yuyuko, and Sakuya in IaMP.
8. I play IaMP. All I'd want is another IaMP.

Last edited:

SpacemanDan

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheSpacemanDan
3DS FC
2191-8207-6327
I can't remember the month, but 2008-2009 was when I got into it.

Someone from a forum I used to go to linked to Cirno's Perfect Math Class. At this point, I had heard a bit about Touhou but never really looked into it. This video more or less pushed me to look into the series more.

Necrofantasia, Satori Maiden - 3rd Eye, Pure Furies - Whereabouts of the Heart are just a few - the list could go on for quite awhile.

Yukari Yakumo, Remilia Scarlet, Koishi Komeiji, Reisin Udonge Inaba...there's just so many, ha ha.

5. To those who play a Touhou game, which one did you play it first? You can skip this one if you haven't play it.
Embodiment of Scarlet Devil was my first.

6. Related to question 5, would you rather prefer to try the easy difficulty? Or would you rather prefer to try the normal difficulty? Again you can skip this question if you haven't play a Touhou game.
I usually play Normal. When I first started I tried on Hard, but realized it wasn't going to work.

7. If there is a Touhou fighting game that has the Smash Bros or Street Fighter mechanics, which Touhou characters would you main?

Yukari Yakumo or Koishi Komeiji

8. Smash Bros mechanics or Street Fighter mechanics for the Touhou fighting game?
I'd prefer Smash style mechanics.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
1. October 2010.

2. It was from superskarmory's upload of his fight with Whitney in HGSS and I listened to a remix a friend of his did of Sakuya's theme.

3. Kobito of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess, Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial, Faith is for the Transient People, Futatsuiwa from Sado, and Necrofantasia

4. My top 5 in order from highest to lowest: Sakuya Izayoi, Reimu Hakurei, Sanae Kochiya, Toyosatomimi no Miko, and Remilia Scarlet.

5. Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.

6. Typically I start on Normal. If the game is easier, I might attempt Hard. If it's harder (currently only one game this applies to, the newest one) I might go for Easy. However proudly I can say I've 1cc'd every Touhou game that is a shmup on Normal difficulty, with the sole exception of the newest one.

7. Sakuya, I use her in the official fighting games she is in.

8. Smash Bros. definitely, unfortunately a project to do such was started and then was given a C&D so they couldn't finish it as a Touhou fan project. :/

ScarletRed012

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScarletRed012
3DS FC
2079-4334-7623
Okay touhou is life so here goes

1. What month and year did you discovered Touhou? Well I think it was around summer of 2014 I think when I first heard about it. But it wasn't until a year later when I actually played Touhou 14: Double Dealing Character which was my first Touhou Game.

2. If you did discovered Touhou, where did you discover it? I play this game called Osu! (rank 7.8k whoo) and I would take a particular interest into all the Touhou music in the music database (it's a music game don't worry)

3. What is your favorite Touhou music? You can pick one or some of the songs. LUNA DIAL, FLOWERING NIGHT, AND BEST OF ALL: BAD APPLE

4. What is your favorite Touhou characters? Preferably the SDM cast. Sakuya is my all time favorite character tbh. With remilia and flandre near behind.

5. To those who play a Touhou game, which one did you play it first? You can skip this one if you haven't play it. Touhou 14: Double Dealing character

6. Related to question 5, would you rather prefer to try the easy difficulty? Or would you rather prefer to try the normal difficulty? Again you can skip this question if you haven't play a Touhou game. I play Easy a lot to try and understand the basics of patters, but if I know the patterns I'll jump to normal and continue learning what I don't know.

7. If there is a Touhou fighting game that has the Smash Bros or Street Fighter mechanics, which Touhou characters would you main? Sakuya. I even made a post on how she would be in Smash-like.

8. Smash Bros mechanics or Street Fighter mechanics for the Touhou fighting game? Smash bros! SF imo is not that appealing compared to Smash's speed.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
A: November 2010. I didn't start playing the games until March 2011, but at first I didn't like it enough for it to stick with me. I didn't really get into it until two years after finding out about it, at October 2012.

A: My friend one day came to my house and started showing me a crapton of videos of this series called Touhou. Yes, amongst them were the usual ones, like McRoll, UN Owen was her, whatever. Then he forced me to watch one of the animes and I didn't like it. We didn't talk about it much, but apparently we had enough interest in Touhou to keep it somewhat relevant until about March 2011, because that was when I first got one of the games. I liked it, but again, it wasn't anything I thought was that noteworthy at first, so I forgot about after about two tries of finishing the game at Normal. Said tries foiled at Stages 4 and 5.

Over a year and a half later, in late 2012, I was browsing... "business" sites and I noticed that I was saving way too many damn images of Touhou characters, and a lot of them were of Kasen Ibaraki. Then I remembered I still had a Touhou game lying around my Hard Drive somewhere... I started playing it, this time at a harder difficulty, and I actually really liked it! Then I got all of the other Windows games, I liked some far better than others, and before I noticed, I was hooked, Kasen became my waifu and still is to this day (even if it doesn't look like it) and I was spending a good bit of my days playing Touhou games attempting Normal 1CCs. It was a crazy summer.
My interest for Touhou lasted up until about November 2013. Then it would only be another year and a half until I got hooked again. I downloaded Jigoku Kisetsukan from the Steam Store because apparently it played like Touhou, then I didn't like it much and thought "Huh, real Touhou is much better than this! ...Is it?", then I went back to check by playing PCB and thought "Yeah! It is much better!", then I got hooked again. Then Smash happened and I haven't had the time to play much Touhou since.

It might be this one. Honestly I don't even remember that much.

1-Kasen Ibaraki
2-Hong Meiling
3-Yuyuko Saigyouji
4-Marisa Kirisame
5-Yukari Yakumo
6-Raiko Horikawa
7-Komachi Onozuka
8-Yuuka Kazami
9-Kanako Yasaka
10-Iku Nagae
11-Eirin Yagakoro
12-Kagerou Imaizumi
13-Youmu Konpaku
14-Keine Kamishirasawa
15-Byakuren Hijiri
16-Tenshi Hinanawi
17-Minoriko Aki
18-Minamitsu Murasa
19-Hina Kagiyama
20-Suika Ibuki
EDIT: That list frankly was an abomination. Anyone outside of the Top 5 was massively wrong, which is why I removed it. It was far more outdated than I thought it was.

Touhou 6 ~ Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.
Yeah, like most people, I know.

Normal. I always play on Normal. Well, I said before that when I came back, I started playing on a harder difficulty. Although I could finish the games no problem, I couldn't 1CC them, and turns out that you need a 1CC to play the Extra Stage. So I switched to Normal and my hunt for 1CCs goes on to this day. I finished these games in this order with one credit: EOSD (6), POFV (9), 10D (13), PCB (7), IN (8), MOF (10).
The first three were in 2013, the last three were last year. Well, I used Marisa Bugged for MOF, but IMO it still counts and I'll go back to it someday and finish it properly anyway.

Meiling. Maybe Marisa, but definitely Meiling first.
I can already imagine Meiling playing a lot like Captain Falcon.

Smash. We already have Hisoutensoku for a more traditional fighting game.

Last edited:

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
Is this thread considered dead? Oh well, I might as well post here anyway.

2016, March. I knew about it before but I didn't care until recently.

Tv Tropes introduced me to it, SaltyBet convinced me to learn about it and play some games.

Reverse ideology.

Patchouli is my favorite, with Flandre and Sayuka as a close second.

I played 6 and still struggle to beat it on normal.

I don't have fun on easy, so I stick to normal to have a bigger challenge.

Sayuka, because she's pretty much Dio Brando and he's a buttload of fun to play as in JoJo.

Street Fighter, because the Touhou fighting games are REALLY projectile friendly, and I would like a more up close fight personally.

Top Bottom