• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Questions on How to Backwards F-Air

Jmook11

Smash Apprentice
So as a Sheik main, I feel ashamed that I cannot consistently Backwards F-Air. I've seen the hitboxes and where they are placed, but I don't know where i should be aiming location-wise. Sometimes I get sick of using B-Airs so if anyone could give me some advice I would appreciate it! :)

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Aim with Sheik's shoulder.
I am not consistant with them myself but that's the only advice I got.
And how can you get sick of using Bair? How is reverse Fair gonna help with that?

Starbuck

Smash Rookie
A sweet spotted Bair has a stronger hitbox then Fair, though it can be hard to hit in a pinch based on how the hitbox is located.

Jmook11

Smash Apprentice
Thank you. And from my comment about B-Air, yes it is an AMAZING move, but sometimes I like to mix up my aerials and try new things! However that doesnt mean that B-Air is not useful, that would be insane!

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I want to be able to knock a recovering Falcon further off the stage by using F-Air
Then you should deffinatly punish his UpB with a Dair. Follow up by turn around and Fair.
But honestly the safest option is just to get up and grab him. Throw him off, needle him and grab the ledge.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
OR, practice the hell out of reverse Fair and just use that.
The danger of using Fair is that if it doesn't reverse then they have a huge shot at DI'ing down into the stage and tech it.
I sure agree that reverse Fair is pretty darn cool and simple too. I might put the time into it myself :)

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I found a rather obvious tech that accomplishes the same thing.

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
As you can see I recorded it in 1/4th speed.
That has to do with the recorder I used at the time. For some reason I can't record smoothly sometimes and it's worse at full speed O.o

Anyway here are the inputs:
1. Tap away
2. Press Y/X to DJ
3. Press and hold B
4. Press and hold in until the Fair ends.
5. R/L to cancel needle charge
6. Cstick away to Fair.
7. L/R to cancel landing lag
8. Release the in input as you turn around.
9. WD back and FF to grab ledge

It's not easy, but deffinatly not tas level.
The important pars is doing the first 4 steps as fast as possible to ensure you drift towards the stage as early in your DJ as possible.
That means that you want to DJ as soon as you can after letting go.
Pressing B as soon after your DJ as you can
And canceling the needle charge as soon as you can
The drift will start as soon as you cancel the charge!

Keep trying ;)

Last edited:

harrisoff

Smash Rookie
Keep trying ;)
Ok I was finally able to do it and I even got it like 5 times in a row. That's weird that she automatically reverses direction like that since its a different timing than the regular reverse needle cancel. I guess it still works because your momentum is still going in that direction away from stage?

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Ok I was finally able to do it and I even got it like 5 times in a row. That's weird that she automatically reverses direction like that since its a different timing than the regular reverse needle cancel. I guess it still works because your momentum is still going in that direction away from stage?
Good job!
I was kinda of surprised to see this worked myself. So I think it just remebers what the last direction input was or something. I dont think it has anything to do with momentum.
EDIT: From standing position this works too.
Try:
FJ
Press direction
DJ
B
It will preserve the direction through the jump input here too.

I just tested with an aerial inbetween but sadly the direction input is lost. Not sure what it could have been used for though.

Side note (when you got this technique down), try and do another reverse needle cancel and regrab the ledge.
I find that pretty nifty.

And the other double RNC set (below ledge):
Let go of Ledge by pressing Away
B
R/L
DJ
Press In
B
R/L
Regrab Ledge.

When you can do both, try alternating between the two. That's a pretty cool handwarmer trick :)

Last edited:

TRb

Smash Cadet
So OK what are the exact inputs to a reverse fair off the ledge?
To a normal reverse fair? You just go a bit further "into" their hitbox before hitting fair. The problem is that its somewhat tricky to pull off, hence this needle cancel exploration

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
It has been pointed out to me how "dumb" my solution is (by some locals).
And I do agree. However I like dumb options as long as they are effective

The exact inputs for the real reverse Fair is, like TRb said, exactly like a regular Fair. The difference is your position relative to your opponent horizontally. That's really all there is too it.
What you can do, to find this position, is to place a dummy CPU on a platform, walk under him and jump straight up and Fair him. Go further and further until you reverse it.
Once you know this, then you can start jumping towards him and aim for that distance. You need pretty good drift and analog control to aim this precise.

RaphaelTMNT

Smash Apprentice
As you can see I recorded it in 1/4th speed.
That has to do with the recorder I used at the time. For some reason I can't record smoothly sometimes and it's worse at full speed O.o

Anyway here are the inputs:
1. Tap away
2. Press Y/X to DJ
3. Press and hold B
4. Press and hold in until the Fair ends.
5. R/L to cancel needle charge
6. Cstick away to Fair.
7. L/R to cancel landing lag
8. Release the in input as you turn around.
9. WD back and FF to grab ledge

It's not easy, but deffinatly not tas level.
The important pars is doing the first 4 steps as fast as possible to ensure you drift towards the stage as early in your DJ as possible.
That means that you want to DJ as soon as you can after letting go.
Pressing B as soon after your DJ as you can
And canceling the needle charge as soon as you can
The drift will start as soon as you cancel the charge!

Keep trying ;)
I would like a little clarification on step four. Am I fairing while holding down b?

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I would like a little clarification on step four. Am I fairing while holding down b?
Maybe my wording on step four is a bit weird. I can see why it would confuse you :)
Press and hold IN (as the direction with the analog stick towards the stage).
And to answer your question, you pretty much let go of B and move your thumb onto the Cstick, so no you don't hold B and Fair at the same time.
I hope that clarifies it for you.
Lemme know if it doesn't

Top Bottom