• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Questions from an amateur: how to succeed in your first tourney!

opiaboy

Smash Rookie
So, i am not so great at melee... i can beat all my friends, but I havn't played brawl yet (of course) and I am going to sign up for the gamestop tournament this weekend. I want to try and do well, but I am not sure how. I thought a little bit about it...

I know I should practice playing melee... so does that mean I should use a melee character in the tourney, so it is someone I am more used to? I am not sure which characters are going to be unocked for the brawl tourney either, so should I stick with someone I know is going to be avaliable no matter what?

I have also heard that some of the advanced techniques used by the pros in melee are not present in Brawl. Should I practice these techniques? Should I practice advanced techniques, or just focus on beating other humans?

I know how to get better at any videogame: practice. But I want to know SPECIFICALLY FOR SOMEONE ENTERING THEIR FIRST EVER TOURNEY, WHAT SHOULD I PRACTICE?[/U] I believe it is only one match, and you're history (this is a bracket setup, right?), so what do I need to do to make sure I win. This question is more directed at pros of the game... if anyone featured on the Smash bros wiki, is out there on the forums, please answer this question! you are the experts!

thank you so much for your help, smash community!

Opiaboy

zeldamaster2006

Smash Apprentice
Advanced techniques won't help you, as they're gone. Also, you will be limited to the starting characters, so the Melee powerhouses such as Marth won't be available. Your best bet, in my opinion, is to go to Gamestop a day or two before (or call them and ask) to play the playable display version. Find a character that you like, and practice at Gamestop a day or two before to get the hang of it.

What's The Point

Smash Master
I know I should practice playing melee... so does that mean I should use a melee character in the tourney, so it is someone I am more used to? I am not sure which characters are going to be unocked for the brawl tourney either, so should I stick with someone I know is going to be avaliable no matter what?
If you are practicing with Melee, you have to use a Melee character anyway. Assume starting roster only (As you can view on the Dojo and many other sources). I suggest Zelda, due to her many buffs, specifically Din's Fire and aerials. Another good choice is Pikachu since he has also been overall improved.

Watch some Brawl videos to get an idea of how the game looks.

This thread (Mostly the beginning) has some ideas on how to do well against assumed to be lower skilled opponents.

I have also heard that some of the advanced techniques used by the pros in melee are not present in Brawl. Should I practice these techniques? Should I practice advanced techniques, or just focus on beating other humans?
Beating other humans. Core mechanics are still the same, so just beating another person is more important.

SPECIFICALLY FOR SOMEONE ENTERING THEIR FIRST EVER TOURNEY, WHAT SHOULD I PRACTICE?
Nothing major, other than avoid freaking out when you are losing.

Nitoheilapine

Smash Apprentice
I'll have to agree with above. People who got a Japanese copy and already have a feel for the standard characters are going to have quite the edge on you though. This only applies to Gamestop tourny.

I haven't been to a Tourny myself other than the one I'm going to now (Gamestop), but I would also like some advice from the crowd on this subject.

Though, I do got a tip of my own. Please... Please shower. Soap. Brush your teeth. Look clean when playing.

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
There really isn't a lot you can do when it comes to preparing for brawl. Basically, you want to learn facts about the character you want to play. Unless it's Olimar, then don't even bother, before you begin to scratch the surface with him, your dead and eliminated. I suggest using someone that was in melee and learning all their moves, and looking around in their thread for playing suggestions, combos, that sort of stuff.

Oh, and watching videos of gameplay is only really good after getting a feel for the new speed. And having played Brawl, videos don't show how drastic of a change it is. You get used to it after a few minutes of constant play, but the Gamestop Tourney this weekend only has 1 minute matches... so good luck.

Andrew Ott

Smash Journeyman
Don't expect to succeed in terms of winning at your first tournament. If you haven't been to one, go with the attitude of trying to learn something, instead of trying to win so much. If you just panic when you're being beaten, not only will you still lose, you won't have any idea why you lost either. Basically, be confident, try your best, stay focused, don't shake in your boots when you're fighting someone better, and don't get upset if and when you lose.

Watch your opponent's character more than yours, look for patterns, see what's really beating you and work the hardest on fixing that thing, then move to the next thing (cause SOMETHING's always beating you). Good players are the ones that can adjust to these things (which are different for everyone) very quickly, sometimes even on the first sighting.

And mostly, try to have fun. If you intend to improve and keep going to tournaments seriously, it will be hard if you're discouraged and beating yourself up over things. Sometimes I like to even talk with the people I play (and living in Northern VA, I play a lot of pro players fairly often) and discuss the match, ask them about a tactic they used I didn't understand, sometimes, for nice people, even ask what mistakes I was making.

Oh yeah, and eat/drink/sleep decent amounts, helps tons.

I only have Melee tournament experience, but the same rules should apply. Hope it helps.

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
Don't get cocky if you can beat your friends. I use to think I was the best ever beating my friends @ parties and houses but one day 4 years ago I look up some melee vids on youtube...

Well I wouldn't stress too much, its a new game + its a Gamestop tournament... probably items and people who are not that great.

The only advice I would give is:

Read this article: http://www.wifiwars.com/?q=node/45
Article emphasizes 3 things: Prediction, Spacing, and Strategy
-Predict - if they are going to shield, grab.
-Spacing - is very important, know your character's attack range and your opponents.
-Strategy - think of ways/combos to use your strengths.

Know your characters strengths and weakness.
Kirby for example: don't get hit, don't kill until you weaken them enough, poke/weaken them w/ weak tilts, make use of Kirby's strong aerials, mostly b-air.

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
The most important thing overall is not just technical skill, but confidence. Having the ability to stay calm under pressure is above all, as no matter how great you are at the game, no matter how well you can execute combo A against your friends, no matter how much you own with Mario, none of it matters unless you can remain calm enough in a tournament setting with so much on the line to actually execute your game plan well.

Master Fox

Smash Journeyman
Also, make sure you study on the controls for all the controllers, especially the Wiimote + Nunchuk combination as that's what Most Gamestops will use.

Which reminds me, do research of the set rules of the Gamestop you'll be playing at since they will probably be slightly different.

…I hate the fact my brother isn't taking this tournament seriously, as though opponents will be fair to him and let him get used to the controls before playing.

Stueyman2099

Smash Cadet
SPECIFICALLY FOR SOMEONE ENTERING THEIR FIRST EVER TOURNEY, WHAT SHOULD I PRACTICE?
Success at your first tourney is simple. First of all, unless there's absolutely no one there who has tourney experience and no game experience at all, you won't win the tournament. Period. Success at your first tournament is measured by how much you learn about the game and the tournament scene while you are there.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This is a new game, but the basic "smarts" of Melee are still present. Seeing as how you are smart enough to ask for help, you deserve to get a smart answer. LEARN MELEE, or rather, the basics of smash. There are only a few advanced techniques in Brawl (so far; it took 3 years to really get most of them down in Melee), so now, just get down the basics of smash.

Know all moves in the game: It sounds hard, but it really isn't. Okay, you don't want to know Pichu's moves, but trust me, knowing them will help, to just know, and you might learn something playing other characters about the game in general. Know how they work, and effect you, and what they do. The best thing to do is play 5 minutes with each character, doing all their moves, and seeing their usefulness. Knowing the moves is a essential part of knowing the game. Also, when those advanced techs come, learn them, even if they are only for characters you don't know how to use, to counter it, and know how it feels, works, etc. Knowing your opponent is the first step of knowing yourself. ;)

Spacing: You might not know "truely" what this is, but I'll explain. Spacing is keeping distance between you and your opponent. Consider you are next to Shiek, and Sheik does "it's" down smash. You have to sheild to block it, and it is a bit hard to counter, unless you use a weak, quick attack. Now suppose you are a bit further back. You only have to shield a shorter time, and can attack a bit faster, due to shorter hitbox length at farther distances when a Melee move connects (hitboxes are what hit you, and the general area of the move will hit). Know the (general) hitboxes of each move (applying to the last piece of advice) is essential to winning, and knowing your opponent, and how to (quickly counter). Anyways, suppose you are a bit further, and Sheik uses "it's" down smash. You are only a bit further back-but it doesn't hit you, and you don't shield it. Now charge up a power smack while Sheik's after lag is effecting "it", and punish your foe for making a mistake. Spacing is essential for defense, and for switching "gears" from defense to offense, and even sometimes vice versa. Also, learn to dash dance (going back and forth reall fast). Look that up on smash wiki, and you're on your way. (go to the starman icon at the top of the smashboards page) Though, we still need to find out what is the deal with tripping in Brawl. :ohwell:

Be smart: This sounds dumb, but be smart. "Smarts" develop by playing smash a lot. Don't run into your foes. Say you are Mario, and are facing Marth, and you run straight at Marth. Marth will either punish you with his forward air, forward smash, down tilt, neutral air, dodge (and grab), or counter you move, and make you look like a fool. What you want to do IF you charge in like a person not using "smarts" would do is to fake out your opponent. Do something crazy, or in other words, mindgames (messing with your opponent's mind, so they won't know what you'll do). Don't use weak attacks that do no damage for this, but do moves people don't generally use, you generally move, or they don't see coming (preferably the later). Charge at someone smart, and have a backup strategy, or try to mindgame them.

Know your opponent, and adapt accordingly: Even if you don't know who your facing, after two minutes of facing them, you know them pretty well. Know what moves are working against you, and why. Find a sollution to get around it. Know what moves you are doing that are working, and what isn't. If a move keeps working against your opponent, be sure to let them have what they want, and punish them with it repeatidly. What doesn't work you either need to use less, mix up, not use very often, use on special occassions, or just not use at all. Also, know how you move, and how your opponent moves, know your opponent's tendecies and yours. Know what your opponent does, their style, what moves they do a lot, and find and analysis everything. Analysis everything, and your winning percentage will go WAYYY UP, but all in do time. The more you play smash, the better you get at analysising everything, and it becomes a automatic. ;) Also, knowing your opponent means knowing what's not working against them. Stop all unpredictable traits and attacks you are using, unless they keep working. Then, punish them with it, like they are asking for! ;)

Play more: Sounds simple, right? Well it is, but it isn't. Play smash more. We got just under 133 hours to go until Brawl, so practice Melee all you can, without interfering TOO MUCH with work, homework, friends, and life. Play what you can. Practice against people. Get better with people. Or, do training mode. (but don't get too use to the control stick; unless you plan on customizing your controller with customized button layouts in Brawl to where the control stick is better for attack! ;)) Practice all of each character you use moves, and find out what is good, and what isn't. Stop using "Bad" moves, or just use them rarely, or in certain circumstances. Know what works, and use that a lot. Figure out each character you uses' move prioreties in Melee by playing them, and looking at some threads on smash 64, Melee, Brawl here on the boards. ;) Just know your characters like you left hand. It took me but 6 to 10 hours to "fully" conquer learning how to use Peach and Ness, but it takes a lifetime to master them. (COMPLETELY) Just practice appropriately, and win.

Have fun while learning and losing: Advanced teechs taught me not to be cocky, and to be humble, yet confident in my abilities. Learning a game that is fun is fun, right? Winning is good, but enjoy losing. By that I mean, losing is good. I SAID IT! If you lose, it means you did something wrong. There is no such thing as a perfect game of smash. If there was, someone would take no damage, and lose no stocks. TRY to find your weaknesses in victory and defeat, what you did wrong, and correct them. Don't let them get you down-it means you have work to do, and stuff to work on. If you lose, analysis what you did wrong, and correct it. Start with the big stuff and easy stuff to correct, and end with the small and harder stuff. THIS is where you will gain most of your skill, outside of common of the smarts mindsets. Losing means you need to improve. Don't get mad, sad, or angry. It just means you can be better. Don't dwell on it-fix it. If you want to be a competitve player of Brawl (you sound like you do, but there is nothing wrong with being casual about it; do what you want to do! ;)), you got to focus on becoming better. But enjoy your time playing smash. Winning is fun, but don't get obsessed with it. Learn to get better, and you will win. Or at least, win more often!

With time, patience, proper practice, training, sportsmanship, mindgames, good adaptation, knowledge of the game, and seeking better knowledge (from others), victory will be yours! ;)

Since you asked for greater knowledge, you recieved it. You'd be surprised how many people are afraid to ask for information, specifically on how to get better at smash. >_> That's one step ahead of the pack! XD

Read that article from Wi-Fi Wars that Tennishilife posted a link to. It's really good, made by a Melee pro, for this special type of sitatuations you say you are in. You can learn A LOT from that! ;)

Also, Brawl is a new game. Regardless of which character you use, it will feel "odd" at first. Don't let that bug you. We haven't" bent" the game like we have with Smash 64 and Melee. ;)

Even at this Brawl tournament, basic "smarts", "knowledge" (learn about the basic game as much as you can), the ability to "adapt" (to a new smash game), and so on will give you a much better chance at winning. Nealdt, one of the founding fathers of the Melee tournament scene was the best player at E for All. It was no coincident a Melee pro was the best at Brawl. So the people with these basic "skills" have a MUCHHHH better chance of winning then those who don't. Just know some basic stuff at smash in general, and your chances of winning will go WAYYYYY up...unless you run into Ken, Gimpy, or Nealdt, or something! :laugh: Just try to get better, but don't get stressed about it, be patient, be open-minded, and have fun, if you seek to improve your game! ;)

O, and the game is 1 minute, items, any stage for the GameStop tournament. Go to GameStop.com to check which GameStops are holding it, in case you don't know, by the way! ;)

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
1. dont worry about advanced techs, these are gone and practicing them will waste time.
2. play against freinds more, you should get used to fighting people and not AI.
3. watch gameplay videos like mentioned earlier, this game is alot floatier.

Ryven

Smash Cadet
Watch out for Ike players. Ike KO's at low percentages and can stall on the ledge if he gets ahead. Try to make him approach you, instead of vice-versa. Oh, and don't get hit.

Lucas' up-smash is BEASTLY and hits ALL AROUND HIM. Go watch a vid of it or something, so you know what to avoid. In Brawl you can up-smash while dashing, too.

DeDeDe's chaingrab is pretty sick, but he has to stop if he gets to the end of the stage, so don't give up. Also try not to let him grab you.

Watch vids of every stage before you go, and don't die to stage hazards.

If 75m comes up, there's some ******** stuff you can do as Samus (with missiles) or Lucas (with PK moves and up-smash) in the close-together platforms on the right. None of the platforms can be passed through from above. Stand on one with a platform just above it and have fun: if they try to attack through the top platform, up-smash. If they try to follow you in, projectile spam. =D

You can now air dodge to grab items. I highly recommend this, although you can also just press A in the air.

If you have the opportunity, watch other people's games before you play. If Smash Balls seem to appear at least once a match on the store's settings, consider playing as Fox, who has the best final smash of the returning starter characters. Just play campy and wait for the smash ball. After killing with the Landmaster, remember to lift them off the top while they're spawning to get a free kill. (Well, it's Time, so it'll actually count as them getting an SD, but whatever.)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
in reference to the brawl tourney, practicing melee won't particularly help you becuase Brawl is a completely different game than Melee.
The only characters that you can possibly get away with playing like Melee is probably Kirby, Luigi, possibly Peach, and to some extent Marth.

John Knight's post pretty much sums up the best advice anyone can give you.

They number one key to all smash games is "Don't Get Hit". wait for your opponent to slip up and then set up him the bomb

pesticide

Smash Lord
it's gonna be pretty hard to practice for a game that's not out yet, considering the mechanics are a bit different from melee. i guess u can practice melee without using adv techs, or go to GS on friday and see if they have a playable demo of brawl and practice there.

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
Your best bet, in my opinion, is to go to Gamestop a day or two before (or call them and ask) to play the playable display version. Find a character that you like, and practice at Gamestop a day or two before to get the hang of it.
You can do this? I had no idea. I'll have to see when I go to Gamestop tomorrow.

Chicobo329

Smash Cadet
Personally I feel encouraged, now that a lot of the very tricky and hard to master ATs are gone from Melee so I can focus more on the characters without first trying to master one or two ATs that 'get you in the door' as far as competitive smashing (wavedashing, L-cancelling, etc.). I know that I'm not cocky as a result of this, but I feel encouraged that I can put better time into practicing and hopefully finally start to actually develop as a player and go to tournaments without losing in the first round. I never was good at Melee, especially competitively. I'm glad Brawl is a completely different game, so I can start at a fresh slate.

I've watched Brawl gameplay videos religiously right now, and I'm letting all that I see sink into my mind. I've checked every character discussion board and read the guides (I'm thankful many characters got buffs, I feel a tier list some years down the road will be a lot narrower than Melee's) and I'm totally psyched to get Brawl this Sunday just so I can practice practice practice! And of course I've read this thread, it's most helpful.

I went to Team Ben's events in '04 and '05 and learned quite a bit about general Smash smarts, but I never got the hang of any of its ATs. I hope that someday I can feel encouraged to go to a tournament and have fun playing more than just fun watching (I LOVED watching matches those two times I went).

Top Bottom