• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Questions for pichu players

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
1. do you ever feel limited as pichu?

In truth I feel more limted as falcon or fox the only charcter I don't feel limited as besides pichu is sheik but that's debateable thanks to recovery. movement/mindgames/projectiles makes up for range so much it's unreal. really sometimes I try to pretend that fox is just like pichu and do the same tricks and junk but it doesn't work i'm not as safe and his range issues seem more extreme.

2. How does pichu play?

I don't know anymore you can't really wall him due to his size/speed/projectiles so it becomes a game of him slowly picking you apart or making mistakes and running into your moves. Trying to rush him fails due to his DD camping and he can easily just avoid you. If you sit make and wiat you'll end up getting mindgamed. It seems like fighting pichu is all about letting him come to you and make mistakes but his mix-ups seem to make that not 100% wrong either.

It's like pichu can control the match simplely because you can't hit him and he could be very defncive or rush them if you're smart or in some match-ups. also projectiles aren't to big of a deal for him like for maybe marth.

Basically how would you desrible how pichu plays? I feel like you pressure him with a good amount of stage control like maybe half and wait for his mistakes. and punish uber hard.

3. Why do you play as pichu?

fits how I play most fighting games I geuss he's small fast and has mindgames and lots of options.

4. What problems do you have as pichu?

Not enough players around to really say for sure. I think i'm fairly solid allround. I need to master my punishment like gay combos and edge gaurd. I swear side-B amuses me for edge gaurding falcos so much.

5. What do you think is stopping pichu from being better?

I think high learning curve and lack of amazing players. compare how you fight as pichu to everyone esle and how smart you must be.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Only with range.

2. How does pichu play?
Pichu plays like a hit-and-run character to me. I try and find an opening through agility, dash-dancing, wave-landing/dancing and thunder jolt. When I get in, I get a 2-3 hit combo on them, knock them up, juggle them a bit, then retreat.

I play as Pichu because of his speed, his up-b (one of my favourite moves in the game), and how underrated he is.

Hmm... I'm bad at recovering and damage myself too much.

Lack of decent players.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Really the only thing range messes up for me is defense when i'm pinned in my sheild or on the edge or something like that. but pichu is still decent at squeezing through and projectiles and szie and junk again help worlds.

TunaCasserole

Smash Journeyman

--Definitely, but not as much as people might think. The biggest problem is range, of course, but other than that, Pichu is incredibly agile and has a lot of combo-potential. Whether or not I feel limited using Pichu though also depends on the matchup -- Against floaties, I feel much more limited since it's not as easy to combo them and they tend to be able to gay Pichu more (I'm talking about the higher-half of the tier list when I make that assertion) Overall though, the two greatest limiting factors on Pichu are his lack of range and his innate weakness against floaty characters.

2. How does pichu play?

--Again, it really depends on the match-up. In most cases, I DD around and try to thunder-jolt my way into an opening grab or empty short-hop -> grab/nair/usmash. Once I get there, though, I try to keep the combo going for as long as possible -- against floaties, this usually ends up being a mere throw -> uair -> dair and retreat, but against FFers, it can easily turn into a 0-death. Overall, for me, Pichu is a primarily defensive character since his approach options are severely limited to mostly just tricks.

--A couple reasons.
1) First and foremost, I always like to try to show people that there exists potential in every character regardless of his position on the tier list (almost needless to say, based on this criteria, that Axe is my favorite player)
2) He's fun! His move set can sometimes be very confusing for your opponent to adapt to, he's TINY so people have more of a problem actually hitting him, his uair's one of the most annoying moves in the game, the list goes on...
3) Priceless moments resulting from the lack of experience your opponent has against Pichu
-"PICHU CAN WALLJUMP!?!?!?!?"
-Opponent properly reads tech, but misses the spacing/punish because Pichu's tech roll is so unbelievably god awful
I'm sure there are others, but I haven't played new people in a while so I don't remember!
4) Preemptive Johns -- Ahh yes, the intrinsic benefit of playing any low tier. You really have the privilege of feeling good about yourself regardless of whether you win or lose. If you win, "LOL, I won with PICHU". If you lose, "Yeah, I mean, I'm using Pichu after all".

-- Waiting for an opening can get boring! Playing against campy players also is a chore. As aforementioned, playing against high-tier floaties can also be especially challenging. I also sometimes suffer from what is known as "Tuna DI", which essentially means random spurts of AMAZINGLY bad DI -- this, of course, doesn't help given Pichu's lightweightedness.

-- As always, the player makes the character. If more good players play Pichu, Pichu's game will advance and more people will experiment with Pichu.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
wish more people would post but whatever but many of my matches can easily last 6 minutes to 2 minutes it's totally based on how they want to play. If they start laser approaching i'll avoid(full hop B is nice at times)/powersheild but if they want to take their time and try to wall me they will soon find themselfes victim to pichu's raw speed and have no way of predicting if i'm going to DD d-tilt, nair/upair, jolt, fake out bait or make a d-tilt or nair turn into a jolt or if I know they can't do anything i'll DD grab.

Also puff is still one of pichu's better match-ups think about it what's she going to do with a grab? maybe tech chase you if she's under a platofrm but if it you tech in plac eand sheild I really doubt she'll land that rest because there are only a few open frames came compared to everyone esle. unless you f*** up really bad or nair an up-tilt she isn't going to really combo **** you or grab **** you like anyone esle in the game. Seriously marios are worlds harder than puff.

I don't know I just love to rant and I love hitbox walls like marth fairing and junk.

TunaCasserole

Smash Journeyman
Pichu-Puff is one of those matchups that I really don't even care to analyze. Bottom line, both characters are smaller, both characters generally don't have wide hitbox'd moves, and it's difficult for both characters to combo each other. Pichu-Puff comes down to who wants to wait the longest, and as such I don't bother even really playing it. If someone pulls a puff on my 'chu in friendlies, I'll quit out and select a different character. I don't use Pichu in tournament just yet, so I haven't been faced with a Pichu-Puff tourney scenario...but if I'm playing against a player that I know uses puff, I'll avoid Pichu anyway.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Who do you main exactly? Tournment matches are pretty good for getting better.

How can you hate puff vs pichu? It's a shorter match than pichu vs pichu, or marios.

I don't know i'm just insanely patince I'm still playing to learn pichu after over 2 years of maining him I souly play to learn/fun maybe next year i'll know enough to play to win. Puff can't out patince me.

only way to beat pichu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo

TunaCasserole

Smash Journeyman
I play everyone, but recently I guess I would go shiek in tournament. My peach is a work in progress, and is shaping up pretty nicely. If Shiek doesn't work, though, I can CP based on who my opponent uses and his playstyle. If I encounter a Falco in tournament that my shiek can't beat, though, I will most likely counterpick Pichu :)

Top Bottom