• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Questions about Bair and Uair

Seiko-Chan

Smash Rookie
So i'm finally back to melee after slumming it in brawl. Gotta say i'm loving how mario doesnt suck.

Anyways, i'm working on my technical game and i ran into a few problems.

1) Is the shabawd actually supposed to combo together? I can seem to do the actual tech, and maybe im just doing it wrong, but it seems like it doesnt combo too well. So yeah, is it supposed to be a real combo?

2)Uair juggles... I cant seem to get them to work right! Same problem, i can get them to link together, but it feels like theres too much space for the oponent to get out.

So yeah, my problem may just be that im doing things too slow, and if it is, feel free to say so. Else, tell me what im doing wrong.

~Seiko

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure shbawd doesn't actually combo. Uair... there is room for every person to get out of combos, obviously.

It's hard to say without videos though =P

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Try comparing yourself to like Eggz's combo video. You can match yourself up based on the sound.

j3ly

Smash Champion
So i'm finally back to melee after slumming it in brawl. Gotta say i'm loving how mario doesnt suck.

Anyways, i'm working on my technical game and i ran into a few problems.

1) Is the shabawd actually supposed to combo together? I can seem to do the actual tech, and maybe im just doing it wrong, but it seems like it doesnt combo too well. So yeah, is it supposed to be a real combo?
dont u mean waveland? just making sure bc a fast falled bair - wavedash combos pretty well at an upper mid percent, whereas the waveland isnt all that useful (apart from specific setups i cba to go into) without platforms

2)Uair juggles... I cant seem to get them to work right! Same problem, i can get them to link together, but it feels like theres too much space for the oponent to get out.

So yeah, my problem may just be that im doing things too slow, and if it is, feel free to say so. Else, tell me what im doing wrong.

~Seiko
shabawd - im convinced this is a defensive technique almost exclusively (u know they are going to sh-afa so you run away, abawd[either towards them or away]) - because its so hard not to get punished from the waveland. way better option is to bair them, then instead of WL do a rising uair, sometimes u can get a really nice setup from that too - (rising uair), FF uair, utilt utilt etc.

another thing u neeeeeed to get down, mario can FH bair an opponent, then waveland on the platform above - this is muuuuch faster then marios run, if u can do the perfect waveland. As youll be facing backwards already, the WL will take u off the side of the said platform - for another bair, then sometimes a rising bair for an awesome gimp.

uair juggles - lol, their isnt. Your doing it right if your hitting the opponent with the tip of the utilt. can normally get 3 -4 in - but u can substitute another utilt for a grab (only do this is the opp starts to DI forwards, cause a forward DI'd Dthrow is gold in marios eyes), however the hit before the grab shouldn't be a tipper hit, slightly below that it should be.

a good way to get the utilt in - perform a delayed uair (autocancel it, if u do uair str8 away as u jump , then FF as u reach the peak there is no need to l-cancel), which should pop them up into the air nicely. If their at too low a percent you could grab them -> dthrow -> utilts ->uairs

hope that was helpful, any problems dont hesitate 2 ask

SoldierRift

Smash Journeyman
How do you do the Uairs? Everytime I do it my Mario does a second jump which annoys me.

Do you guys use the c stick?

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
How do you do the Uairs? Everytime I do it my Mario does a second jump which annoys me.

Do you guys use the c stick?
I use the c-stick only for uairs. That is to say, unless I wanted to do a double jump rising uair.

It's possible to train yourself to do uairs w/ control stick however, to get that muscle memory will take time. LOTS OF TIME.

@ OP: SHABAWD isn't supposed to combo, though I think at a certain percent range it can. The SHABAWD is defensive and is also used as a semi-WoP. You can prolly SHABAWD back and follow up with another SHABAWD, or WD forward then back to try to catch them off guard then follow up.

But don't rely too much on those. There's always other stuff like Double Bairs, CGs, and WD to Fsmash.

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
Use the c-stick. I didn't for the first 6 years of playing this game and now I do it only feels awkward for a little bit. Being able to move back and swing forward and etc. is extremely helpful for spacing. And more specifically, gimping with a triple bair and still recovering just feels so good. Uair combos are almost impossible using A.

j3ly

Smash Champion
I disagree. Its impossible to get your thumb to the c-stick as fast as it is to just press A from a hovering over A position, so after you get used to not jumping with up, it is 80% of the time alot better.

Plus, when uairing out of the shield, you are favoring speed over momentum, and you can still manage to get in most of the momentum if your fast enough Its no hard feat to learn how to keep 99% of your momentum and use the control stick only, i wouldn't advise it for all situations but overall i think its highly useful in the long run.

Top Bottom