• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

questions about a tournament

D

Deleted member

now i understand im still pretty young, but ive been playing smash for 5 years and wanted to expand my lvl of skills and was maybe considering going to a local tournament or something later this year.

My question is what is the, whats the word esq? i dunno attitude? hopefully you understand what im trying to say...
anyway what should i do in preparation? what should i bring? is there a min age that you have to be to get in? and what should i expect when i get there, im kinda nervous and was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on this matter.

thanks!

GiantGiraffe

Smash Rookie
I just recently went to my first tournament. There was about 80 people there. I loved it. To bring, you really just need a controller though a setup for the tournament would also be appreciated. Not to mention by bringing a setup, it will allow you to get right to meeting people. Go early and play some friendlies. Ask the people you play against for advice and I am sure they will gladly help. The tournament I went to was an awesome experience and now I have been smashing weekly with some of the guys I met. Act mature and be friendly and you should fit right in!!

42nd

Smash Cadet
Agreed. Tournaments can be scary at first but play some friendlies and get to know people and you will have fun :) ! Just have fun with it ;P

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Going to your first tournament is pretty much your grand entrance to your local scene. Just talk to people and play some friendlies, people aren't going to reject the new guy, they're gonna try to get them into the scene. Going to a tournament is pretty much going to decide whether or not you want to play the game seriously. Hope you have fun when the time comes!

D

Deleted member

@GiantGiraffe setup? what does that incluse? i know controller but what else? you guys also didnt answer my other questions :(

GiantGiraffe

Smash Rookie
A setup would be the TV, console, and game. That would be considered a full set up.

As for preparation for the tournament... Honestly, that is going to be hard. You are going to get beat a lot going to your first tournament. Remember, most of the people there have had much more practice playing against other people. Prepare your mindset because it is going to be hard to keep playing at first. Use the defeats as motivation, don't let them get you down. Ask as many questions as you can and play plenty of friendlies. This is a learning experience. Do NOT expect to win, expect to learn. While there, make friends and then hang out past that. I went, met a few people and now I practice with them weekly as well as go to tournaments with them. Its hard to prepare without other people. If you do have other people to practice against, then practice against them as well. You'll need it. haha

The tournament should not have a min age to get in UNLESS it is at a bar. Granted you are from Scotland so I do not know exact laws over there.

And as for expectations at the tournament... It is hard to describe and honestly depends on the tournament TO's. Everything can run extremely smoothly or it can be a complete disorganized mess. Just expect to have fun.

Don't be nervous, just have fun. Be respectful and curious and people will accept you. Smashers are some of the most accepting people I have met (aside from a few egos). Good luck!!

D

Deleted member

@GiantGiraffe wait, so im expected to bring, a tv, a console +the game and a controller? seems a bit much does it not?

GiantGiraffe

Smash Rookie
You do not by any means have to bring a full set up. But at many tournaments by doing so, you get a reduced venue fee. Furthermore, it helps out the TOs a lot of the time and helps to keep the day running smoothly.

That being said, all you really need is your controller and money to enter.

D

Deleted member

i understand that i will be one of the youngest there, but i was common for younger people (my age or lower) to attend?

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
i understand that i will be one of the youngest there, but i was common for younger people (my age or lower) to attend?
It isn't really common, but it totally isn't a problem. If anything, people will probably want to teach you some stuff, so you'll make some friends along the way.

Top Bottom