• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Questions About 360

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I'm thinking about buying a 360, but there are a few things I want to know about it first.

Does that "Red Ring" thing still happen? Or have they solved that problem already? And if it's still happening, how likely would is it?

Is there a site or something that explains the different versions of the 360. I know there's a cheaper version, but what's the difference? Would I be better off just getting the more expensive one?

shadydentist

Smash Lord
As far as I know, the red ring is still somewhat of a problem. However, microsoft has helpfully extended their warranties, and I think its worth getting one anyways.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Yes the "red rings of death" problem still occurs on 360s. I have it right now and I'm getting it repaired...correct me if I'm wrong but i believe the warranty info goes like this:

Red rings of death = 1 year -> Upgraded to 3 years :D
Everything else = 1 year

You can purchase additonal warranty somewhere, not really sure where through.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/compare101.htm

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
F8AL is correct. My launch 360 lasted me just until about a month ago, so I sent it off to Microsoft. New 360s aren't as likely to have the problem, they run cooler and have smaller CPUs and have had their innards moved around.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Is there a site or something that explains the different versions of the 360. I know there's a cheaper version, but what's the difference? Would I be better off just getting the more expensive one?
There's 3 different ones, the 360 arcade version, the standard 20gb hard drive, and the elite version with 120gb. The arcade version doesn't even have a hard drive, and is the only version that doesn't have backward compatibility, so try to avoid that one(it's also the cheapest at $280). The 20gb version is $350, and the elite is $450.

I'd say the 20gb is good enough, unless you're planning on downloading a lot of games off of the 360's Live service (which each game taking up 2 to 7 gigs).

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
There's 3 different ones, the 360 arcade version, the standard 20gb hard drive, and the elite version with 120gb. The arcade version doesn't even have a hard drive, and is the only version that doesn't have backward compatibility, so try to avoid that one(it's also the cheapest at $280). The 20gb version is $350, and the elite is $450.

I'd say the 20gb is good enough, unless you're planning on downloading a lot of games off of the 360's Live service (which each game taking up 2 to 7 gigs).
But when you download a game, when you beat it, wouldn't you just delete it in order to make room for another downloadable original xbox game? That's what I'd do. It would still have your game saves on your harddrive and you can easily download it again if you wish (via download history) so you don't have to pay to download it again.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
All 3 versions have wireless internet connection, right?

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
But when you download a game, when you beat it, wouldn't you just delete it in order to make room for another downloadable original xbox game? That's what I'd do. It would still have your game saves on your harddrive and you can easily download it again if you wish (via download history) so you don't have to pay to download it again.
Exactly right, and personally, that's what I do. Then again, this isn't the most professional way of handling it, as some people want to replay those games without starting over.

All 3 versions have wireless internet connection, right?
It'll cost you an extra $100 for the wireless network adapter. I personally just use the direct connect(comes with system).

The following will help you out with other questions you might have about the adapter.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemsetup/xbox360/accessories/wirelessnetworkadapter.htm

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
It'll cost you an extra $100 for the wireless network adapter. I personally just use the direct connect(comes with system).

The following will help you out with other questions you might have about the adapter.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemsetup/xbox360/accessories/wirelessnetworkadapter.htm
Are you serious? It costs $100 for that stupid thing? I have no way of getting online from my room other than wirelessly. And I'm not paying $100 for it. If that's the case, I won't even buy a 360. That's ridiculous.

Life Ruiner

Smash Apprentice
Are you serious? It costs $100 for that stupid thing? I have no way of getting online from my room other than wirelessly. And I'm not paying $100 for it. If that's the case, I won't even buy a 360. That's ridiculous.
Lol if that's stopping you from buying a game system it look like you probably didn't want it that much in the first place.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Lol if that's stopping you from buying a game system it look like you probably didn't want it that much in the first place.
I don't want it at all if I can't play online. All the games I wanted for it, I wanted for the online play. The wireless card I bought for my computer was like $20. There's no reason why the same thing for Xbox 360 should be 5 times the price. That's ridiculous.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
A 360 is so worth it. Not for Halo 3 of course but Halo 2.
If I wanted Halo 2, wouldn't it be cheaper to just get an Xbox. I don't even want Halo 3. The reason I want a 360 is for all the fighting games that I can't get on Wii. Like DOA4, Virtual Fighter 5, Soul Calibur 4, ect...

Top Bottom