• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question: Whistle armor Vs Shield

Elidibus

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this has been discussed yet, so if it has, just move this post to the correct thread. And i did a little search and landed zero results. So i'll go ahead and ask.

Which would be better? Using Whistle's SAF against an attack of just shielding the attack.

I'm talking from a technical standpoint. Which would be better in what circumstances and whatnot.

To me, using the SAF frames in the whistle to set up a counter attack seems like a fairly bad idea, although, i have to admit it really works. But from a shield POV, one could shield the attack, take no damage and counter attack just as fast.

Or is using Whistle Armor+punish faster than shield+punish?

What about grabs? Is a grab from a whistle faster than a shield grab? Or, are Olimar's godly up-smashes from a whistle more viable than a shield grab?

I think if we all get together and discuss this, and name a few places where each will provide the maximum results, we can turn Olimar into an unstoppable juggernaut of destruction!

So what about you guys? Whistle armor or shield? When do you use Whistle armor and when do you jsut use a normal shield? And would you say one is better than the other?

Thanks!

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Olimar's whistle armor is situational. It is most efficient when used in the air.

nmaster64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nmaster64
3DS FC
4210-3983-6182
I'd say whistle armor is going to be more effective (assuming you've got the timing down good) against beastly attacks, and shielding against quicker attacks with less knockback.

So, like...shield a tilt, but whistle a big smash attack (which if you shield is going to knock you out of range to counter attack)...

Peachtress

Smash Ace
Whistle armor I find very effective in the later percentages, you can punish, and not get killed. The timing has to be impeccable, however. I also find it useful when facing characters that have natural lag to their attacks (Dedede, Ike, etc.); if you have the timing down, you can do some beautiful punishing.

I Whistle armor when I predict an attack, and shield when I don't expect it, out of pure instinct.

Florida

イーグランツ
Would would you use the whistle super armor when you could just shield? Why just avoid knockback, when you can be avoiding damage and knockback? The whistle super armor should only be used while in the air since you do not have the option of shielding. Even so, you could always dodge.

I'd best use the whistle super armor to have a quick block - attack moment. Dodging will only do that, dodge. With the whistle super armor, you can avoid knockback as well as follow-up with an attack of your own. Best used when your opponent and yourself have high percentages-- what's the point of just racking up damage for yourself?

Peachtress

Smash Ace
Would would you use the whistle super armor when you could just shield? Why just avoid knockback, when you can be avoiding damage and knockback? The whistle super armor should only be used while in the air since you do not have the option of shielding. Even so, you could always dodge.

I'd best use the whistle super armor to have a quick block - attack moment. Dodging will only do that, dodge. With the whistle super armor, you can avoid knockback as well as follow-up with an attack of your own. Best used when your opponent and yourself have high percentages-- what's the point of just racking up damage for yourself?

Are you proving a point or what? It almost sounds like you're contradicting yourself, haha.
But yeah, good points in the second para.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
As someone who did a lot of work with the tactic, and uses it quite a bit in their playstyle, I think I've come to the conclusion that perfect shielding is a better alternative to Whistle Canceling on the ground. You get the same amount of lag (ie practically none), require the same amount of timing, but perfect shielding doesn't take any damage.

I also agree with nmaster in that you could always shield a tilt and Whistle Cancel a huge smash. In practice it's nice to still leave the Whistle Cancel as a secondary alternative, as my MM with Bum taught me. >_> If you Whistle Cancel too much, it can be predicted from a mile away by any player.

However, I'll reiterate and agree with most of the above posters that Whistling in the air is a much better option than air-dodging. The momentum issues, placement and lag of Whistle Canceling are all vastly superior to that of an air-dodge.

That being said, one could also take into account that the Whistle has no landing lag, which could make short-hopped Whistle Cancels a viable approach when playing against a heavy hitter like Ike or Dedede, or even a projectile spammers like Samus.

Elidibus

Smash Cadet
Wow, tihs thread has given me all kinds of new ideas. i never thought about using the whistle in the air. I suppose that could make up for Oli's Up B gimp-ness.

Gonna take alot of practice, though. But i'm also liking the idea of short hopped whisles to approach slower characters. In my experience, heavy characters are alot easier for oli to juggle, epically with his down tilt, or, as i like to call it "the worm" :-)

r0isindubh

Smash Rookie
I use the whistle armor only once in a while when I see a smash attack I know will cost me a valuable stock I will whistle instead of dodge or shield, it varies the play and takes an opponent by surprise, don't spam it though.

Top Bottom