• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Question] What can falco do out of a sticky walk?

BirdLordMasterBeak

Smash Apprentice
I have been trying to incorporate sticky walking into my falco's gameplay. The most I have been able to get out of it is a boost grab. What other options can I add to my sticky walking arsenal?

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Nothing much afaik, Someone can correct me but from what I know he doesn't have anything worth it that you can't do otherwise. Pretty curious to see if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

JoeTango

It Takes Two
Although there's no practical use, I use it to confuse newer players. Seriously, sometimes if I sticky walk toward them they don't know how to react to the weird speed and just throw out a grab or something.

Other than that I do it to look cool :shades:

Cthulhu's Underling

Smash Cadet
Seem like it's only application is making your character look like a fool.

I felt so dumb when I found this thread. I'd never hear the term sticky-walk before, so I had to look it up. I thought it was that thing you see in TAS videos when they push the stick very slightly forward, then release, rinse, repeat, so the character held still, but very slowly slid across the ground.

BirdLordMasterBeak

Smash Apprentice
Seem like it's only application is making your character look like a fool.

I felt so dumb when I found this thread. I'd never hear the term sticky-walk before, so I had to look it up. I thought it was that thing you see in TAS videos when they push the stick very slightly forward, then release, rinse, repeat, so the character held still, but very slowly slid across the ground.
No, it is a very good mindgame tool but I haven't found many options you can do out of it.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I think that using it in and of itself is a pretty good mindgame tool. If they're low to some mid-level players, they may think that you're that much better than them because you can sticky walk. On top of that, like most everything, it's definitely good for Falco swagging.

BirdLordMasterBeak

Smash Apprentice
I think that using it in and of itself is a pretty good mindgame tool. If they're low to some mid-level players, they may think that you're that much better than them because you can sticky walk. On top of that, like most everything, it's definitely good for Falco swagging.
New info! You can shine out of a sticky walk so if you use it to make the opponent whiff, it can turn into a super good mindgame. Especially when it leads to a 60-80% combo :)

D

Deleted member

What's kind of fun and good is sticky walk away from opponent and when them come towards you wavedash back and shine...

GenNyan

Smash Ace
New info! You can shine out of a sticky walk so if you use it to make the opponent whiff, it can turn into a super good mindgame. Especially when it leads to a 60-80% combo :)
That seems like it would never work on high or even intermediate level players. You might as well just walk (you can shine out of that as well). It could trick scrubs/beginners, but then again at that level they might not even be looking at your character.

BirdLordMasterBeak

Smash Apprentice
That seems like it would never work on high or even intermediate level players. You might as well just walk (you can shine out of that as well). It could trick scrubs/beginners, but then again at that level they might not even be looking at your character.
Sticky walking is a movement mix-up and saying it would never work on high or intermediate level players seems kinda like a mental block. You should never give any player respect until they earn it.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Sticky walking is a movement mix-up and saying it would never work on high or intermediate level players seems kinda like a mental block. You should never give any player respect until they earn it.
I didn't say it would definitely never work; just that it seems like it would never work. I don't really understand the mental block bit, but I don't see this being any more than a gimmick to pull out maybe once a tournament. Walking seems much better for this mind-gaming purpose altogether because it takes no setup (unlike stickywalking), and you are less restricted (have more options) while simply walking. If you can make it work though, go for it.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Doubleposting for bump, because I saw an instance of sticky walk being used to bait out a spot dodge (by a Sheik, not a Falco, though it was during a tech chase, so it should apply to Falco as well.)

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/v/13280453
I don't know how to timestamp twitch broadcasts, so just skip ahead to 6:15:45. The commentators will call out the sticky walk, so it'll be hard to miss.

So if they tech away and you might not be able to punish before the tech roll animation ends, throw in a sticky walk to bait a defensive option (Spotdodge, shield, etc.) This is still pretty heavily based in the mind games department, so if you use it too often you'll get punished, but its a nice mixup to have.

Top Bottom