• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question: Tap jump

Dr.Smex

Smash Cadet
First of all I'm new to PM so go easy on me eh.
My question is: is it possible to play this competitively with the Tap jump off? is it possible to get any success competitively with the tap jump off? or do I lose many options if I don't jump with the analog stick?
Thank you for your time.
Also, feel free to delete this thread if it's not in the right place. :)

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
The biggest thing you'd lose is the ease of doing upB or usmash out of shield. Almost everyone does it by doing the normal input for upb or usmash. If you don't have tap jump on, you can't jump out of shield with the joystick. You'd have to press another jump button like X or Y and then do the input for upB or usmash.

Dr.Smex

Smash Cadet
So my best option is getting used to tap jumping, got it.
Thanks for the fast reply btw.

Kati

Smash Lord
Yeah, if you are new to the game, then you probably have lots of other things to learn as well, so don't put it off. By the time you feel comfortable with the more difficult aspects of the game, you'll forget having had a tough time with tap-jump. The worst thing you could possibly do is tell yourself/others that you "just can't do it."

yahyakun

Smash Cadet
i do Falco's Shine+Bair (the quick one) with main stick. also i jump with main stick when i hit u in the air with a shield (like second shield). i also do fox's Shine+Bair with main stick, but i still do not dominate it completely.
Also, i use Up+B out of shield, like standard said.
but it would be cool to have and option to turn it of in the controller edit options. as well as turn of Z blocking after grabbing or Z making function of A. that is rlyyy suckish sometimes. ive never used Z to hit anyone (just CF's gentleman in melee). what i only use is lightshield with Z in ssbm, not here in pm.
so it will be cool to have an option to turn that multi Z function and Tap jump off.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
It's totally possible to play at a high level without tap jump.
Most people who play Project M competitively are coming from a Melee competitive background so tap jump is just something they are already used to. Playing without tap jump just requires the same getting used to that playing with tap jump required for Melee.
Some things like Up B and Usmash OOS are impossible to do using the standard input without tap jump so you have to find some other way that works for you to do them. An Up B or Usmash OOS is actually a jump canceled version of its respective move. You can't directly Up B or Usmash out of shield, but you can jump out of shield, and you can cancel a jump directly into an Up B or Usmash. With tap jump on, you just have to input the Up B or Usmash as normal, and it will automatically jump cancel it for you. Without tap jump, you have to manually jump cancel them, which involves inputting a jump and the attack at the same time; something along the lines of hitting X and B/ X and A while holding up on the analog at the same time. My friend only uses R to shield/l-cancel, so he remapped L to jump. When he wants to Up B or Usmash OOS he hits L and the attack input at the same time, which he finds easier than hitting X or Y and the attack input at the same time.
Just an example, it's really all about personal preference and what is easier/more comfortable for you.

lil T

Smash Journeyman
I use to always play with tap to jump off, but I've been now playing with it on, and not even because of some of the options i can do with it...because sometimes i get lazy and dont pick my name lol but Once i got use to it I found that some of the tings i can do really does help at times, Up B out of Shield is a big one that im pretty sure everybody said already lol)
But what im somehow getting at is, I'll try to learn to play with it, Shockley it's not hard to get use to it..I did due to laziness lmao.

Badge

Smash Apprentice
The one most difficult thing to do without tap jump that I know of are perfect DJCs. At least for Lucas you have to let go of the DJ input after just one frame if you're not using tap jump for it, so that's considerably harder. Aside from that it always felt more like a preference thing to me, whether you have more problems airdodging upwards or the like without wasting your double jump or hitting a jump input before out of shield actions, I don't think there's anything that you really can't do one way or the other.

Dr.Smex

Smash Cadet
It's totally possible to play at a high level without tap jump.
Most people who play Project M competitively are coming from a Melee competitive background so tap jump is just something they are already used to. Playing without tap jump just requires the same getting used to that playing with tap jump required for Melee.
Some things like Up B and Usmash OOS are impossible to do using the standard input without tap jump so you have to find some other way that works for you to do them. An Up B or Usmash OOS is actually a jump canceled version of its respective move. You can't directly Up B or Usmash out of shield, but you can jump out of shield, and you can cancel a jump directly into an Up B or Usmash. With tap jump on, you just have to input the Up B or Usmash as normal, and it will automatically jump cancel it for you. Without tap jump, you have to manually jump cancel them, which involves inputting a jump and the attack at the same time; something along the lines of hitting X and B/ X and A while holding up on the analog at the same time. My friend only uses R to shield/l-cancel, so he remapped L to jump. When he wants to Up B or Usmash OOS he hits L and the attack input at the same time, which he finds easier than hitting X or Y and the attack input at the same time.
Just an example, it's really all about personal preference and what is easier/more comfortable for you.
Actually mapping L to jump may fix it for me especially since I shield and L cancel with R as well. I play mainly DK for now and knowing that I can't use his OOS options with the tap jump off was frustrating.
Thank you all for taking care of a newbie like me. ^.^

Revven

FrankerZ
JCaesar mains ROB and... he also has a weird button configuration; like I think one of his shoulder buttons is jump. :x

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
I don't even think that's weird. Maybe it's just because I do the same thing, but even so, Brawl players have used much weirder configurations.

Top Bottom