• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question on tech skill and mindgames

Which of these should someone learn first?

• Mindgames, "getting into your opponent's head"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learn them at the same time...?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
'aye there, fellow peasants of smashboards!
as in almost any situation, in smash, knowledge is power
however, which form of knowledge should someone learn first?
the answer doesn't necessarily mean x is more important than y, but which one of the above (in the poll)
should a person learn before getting into the other?
also, how should one actually learn it?
as always, feel free to comment why you voted for what you did

Last edited:

GreenMonkey

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3411-4102-3196
'aye there, fellow peasants of smashboards!
as in almost any situation, in smash, knowledge is power
however, which form of knowledge should someone learn first?
the answer doesn't necessarily mean x is more important than y, but which one of the above (in the poll)
should a person learn before getting into the other?
also, how should one actually learn it?
as always, feel free to comment why you voted for what you did
You know, I really feel like you're just making threads for the sake of it, and not really having a question that you urgently want to have answered~ :ohwell:

You know, I really feel like you're just making threads for the sake of it, and not really having a question that you urgently want to have answered~ :ohwell:
this is a legitimate question i have, i promise i'm not doing this just to be annoying, and i truly
want to improve at this game
i'm sorry it looks like i am, i'll refrain from making threads for a while after this one

Last edited:

GreenMonkey

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3411-4102-3196
this is a legitimate question i have, i promise you i'm not just doing this to be annoying, and i truly
want to improve at this game
i'm sorry it looks like i am, i'll refrain from making threads for a while after this one
Oh if you're genuinely curious, then of course it's okay to ask questions, and if you ever have any questions, it's alright to voice them in a thread. I just became slightly suspicious, that's all~

About your question, before you dive in with reads and mindgames, you need to have strong fundamentals. You would want to familiarize yourself with your character and practice combos with them. Getting used to their moveset and utilizing them in the right situations should come first and foremost. :upsidedown:

Then you could work on slightly more advanced techniques, such as consistently teching, ledge-trumping (and potential into an aerial for the edgeguard~!), and B-reversing. These three are pretty simple to pull off with some investment. B-reversing might take a while and you might not always perform perfect inputs in an actual match, but having practice is always helpful.

After that, you could focus on very expert techniques! Depending on your character, you want to concentrate on a feature unique to them and come up/follow guides about cool and flashy shenanigans they can do! With Robin, you can learn about Arc-traps, Thoron and Levin set-ups, and using your Sword/Tomes as kill options. With another character such as Little Mac, you can spend your time on mix-ups, KO Punch set-ups, and recovering unpredictably and avoiding early gimps. :b:

I would say until you're comfortable with your characters, you shouldn't dwell too much on mindgames. You'll get to that stage later on, but learning your character is more important and will probably impact the outcome of matches more~ :p

Top Bottom