• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question on practicing

Kaede - KeyWei

Smash Cadet
I have been having lots of trouble lately and I need to practice on something that might be a human opponent! But I have read some guides in this forum, that say not to practice againest computers becuase of no DI... But I am an only child... Is there anything I could do to practice like I am vsing someone human? :urg:
I thank you in advance for your troubles! :)

¶€æðê

Kaede

Repryx

Smash Champion
I dunno I just practice mobility and I practice combos on lvl1 cpus

Kaede - KeyWei

Smash Cadet
Oh I see...But I try recovering with Falco but I can't get the computers to do that...And I don't have enough paietents to wait for it...Its just frustrating for me to see how others might react and such and learn from mistake

Edit: I forgot to properly thank you for your advice!!

Thanks much
(I don't know why I am acting very strangely)

Seison

Smash Journeyman
Well, it IS tough sometimes to get decent practicing in when you have no human opponents to practice with, but there are ways of practicing by yourself that can ensure improvement.

In the end, only lots of experience fighting humans will fully prepare you for situations like tourneys and whatnot, but like I said, you can still undergo great personal improvement just by playing alone.

You should check out this similar thread for some advice from various smashers, myself included:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=106468

Hope that helps you :)

p.s. Is there a local Smash scene where you live? Are there ever any tournaments? Ifso, your main goal at these functions (besides winning of course :p) should be to meet some fellow smashers that you can get together with to practice.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Note that lvls 1-2 use no DI, lvls 3-6 use varying amounts/ direction of horizontal DI, while lvls 7-9 use varying amounts of upward DI. so you can practice each part of a combo on different lvl cpus to simulate all sorts of DI. just make sure not to play the rest of the game against them, just practice the comboing.

Kaede - KeyWei

Smash Cadet
Well, it IS tough sometimes to get decent practicing in when you have no human opponents to practice with, but there are ways of practicing by yourself that can ensure improvement.

In the end, only lots of experience fighting humans will fully prepare you for situations like tourneys and whatnot, but like I said, you can still undergo great personal improvement just by playing alone.

You should check out this similar thread for some advice from various smashers, myself included:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=106468

Hope that helps you :)

p.s. Is there a local Smash scene where you live? Are there ever any tournaments? Ifso, your main goal at these functions (besides winning of course :p) should be to meet some fellow smashers that you can get together with to practice.

I thank you very much for the help!!
I live in Mini Soda (Minnesota)
And I don't see much tourneys here...
I do know a couple Falco players that live in the state but not close enough for a decent get together. They live up north and I live in deep south...
I got cousins that live nearby...no experience and such but I sometimes play them, but they have no idea on Adv. Techs. Or DI itself, But I am pretty sure they know what to do without relizing it....But we don't visiit often...

Kaede - KeyWei

Smash Cadet
Note that lvls 1-2 use no DI, lvls 3-6 use varying amounts/ direction of horizontal DI, while lvls 7-9 use varying amounts of upward DI. so you can practice each part of a combo on different lvl cpus to simulate all sorts of DI. just make sure not to play the rest of the game against them, just practice the comboing.
*nods* I see! Thanks much for the information!
Oh I have another qusetion, Is it useful to practice in Lighting Melee? I heard that it might increase your reflexes when fighting a foe..
I have so many things to work on...

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I try to avoid playing in other speeds, because it messes w/ your timing. actually, a while back, i did notice that if you play a game in 1/4 speed (i did this in training mode, but slo mo melee might work), and then go play someone in a normal match (who didin't just play in slo mo) my timings were more crisp and my playing was far faster (or at least until my body adjusted to the new timing). But i now avoid that becuase i can now play as fast as i'll ever need to w/o going in slo mo first.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
it's reccomended to use whatever the hell you want to. I use the c-stick for a lot of stuff, like most attacks, but nothing that i need to practice with. Like for instance, i don't use the c-stick for drillshine infiniting ppl, because it's faster to use z (for me at least), so no c stick, and i can practice it in training mode.

Kaede - KeyWei

Smash Cadet
Sticking with my own style...
Y for Short Hopping
L for WD
C-Sticking for quick moves
Control Stick for getting out of Shine/Shield.
Etc
I need to practice the SHFFL
My SHL is a fine I just can't do it fast...
I have to get used to WD constanly with Falco (heard it is part of practically killing)
I can't tell if I L-Cancel. I know I can do it, I just can't tell if I am doing it ro not.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
If you shffl into someone's shield, and they get shined, when it looks like they shouldn't have (because they tried to do something out of the shield) you l-canceled correctly (or they're doing they're stuff slow). but honestly, a shine will come out almost instantaneously after hitting the ground. After a while, you'll notice the difference.

Top Bottom