• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Question] How to deal with a spammy Link?

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I haven't faced ONE SINGLE Link online that doesn't spam projectiles and Smash Attacks. Link is definitely one of the most annoying characters to play against when it comes to spamming. I played against one of those again tonight, played maybe 15-20 matches --- I didn't win one single match. I'm a decent player. I'm not saying I'm super good, I'm not saying I'm pro, but I'm decent. This Link made me, once again, shut down Smash 3DS with rage in my body.

Seriously, since Link has so different projectiles (one is explosive throwing item, one its a boomerang that can drag you back, and one is quick and annoying), it's impossible for me to get close. Seriously, there's really nothing I can do. Since he can use his projectiles so fast, there's not way to dodge it for me. Dodge the boomerang? Boom, a bomb. Dodge the bomb? Boom, an arrow. And boom, another Bomb. And so it goes. If I do get to come close, in addition to these excelent projectiles, Link has a frickin' sword to help him as well. Putting in a jab there, and I'm knocked away and he can continue. And since I'm too busy dodging his projectiles, how am I supposed to dodge his jab, or even attack him?!

Smash can be so extremly fun, and I've had some very epic matches tonight, but matches like this just makes me rage like mad. And the worst thing is that the spammers, either of rolling or projectiles, aren't good players. They just keep doing the attacks because they're good. The don't know combos, they don't know anything - and yet they win. THAT is annoying, that people who I'm sure don't even practice, and does everything annoying and "unfair" they can, wins against me...! :\

This just makes me unmotivated, sad, and REALLY frustrated. I was seriously about to punch my 3DS when I lost that final match against him...

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
its just his play style...he is a bit too slow to rush in at you.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Its the New age of smash with any character with projectiles. Why rush in when you can play it safe?

Not me. I actually don't spam projectiles with Link. However, his projectiles are good for when I whack an opponent away and want to keep dealing damage.

To me, I see his projectiles as a way to keep racking up damage and applying pressure to the wound should the opponent get too far from me... but I still prefer to rush in and go old fashioned with the sword and board.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
You just gotta read the Link opponent and look for openings. Don't try rushing in or else you will get destroyed by his bombs and boomerangs he throws at you. Stay calm and focus.
His sword attacks can be punished since they are slow, especially his dash attack. Dodge his attacks and punish accordingly.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
As a link main since the beginning, I'm about to tell you something pretty shocking: It's not that hard to get past his projectiles.

his bomb is a non factor because it's a throwable item on a timer. It's pretty easy to predict and react accordingly and since it takes more time to pull out and throw than a boomerang or arrow, they'll avoid using it if you're closing in on them.

boomerangs and arrows are still easy to deal with. The short answer is to short hop and dodge. The arrow is going to fly along the ground, so just jump over. He can always angle the boomerang but it doesn't do anything if you dodge through it. Since it's a gale boomerang still, you don't even have to worry about it hitting you on the way back.

Rushing him with Short hop air dodging to close the distance covers all your bases against the common spamming link. 457

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
L2read.

I mean, you say that this are people who aren't practicing and aren't good, and you can't beat them, what does that tell you? Link has always been a spammy char, with the same tools, yet he's never been top tier in any game, what does that tell you again? Looks to me as if you're the one who needs more practice in seeing patterns in gameplay and reading so you can approach.

Also, I know that this will come as a shock maybe, but your sideB (the bike) has a slight super armor and it's quite fast. Use that to zone in.

From here it seems that the one who needs more practice and isn't that good is you.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Then again, if Link's giving OP a tough time maybe it's a good sign about his tier:grin:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Oh sorry, I said sudeB thinking your main was still Wario, but I just noticed it's actually Bowser...which just makes it worse. Bowser is, by everyone's account, a top tier char this time around, and you're having issues versus Link's projectiles with a char that is faster, stronger, and who has super armor on most smashes. Well, boohoo. L2P.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Not a big deal. Also depends on who you play as. I main Link and although I don't play like that, I've done it for fun and had friends just shieldblock or dive/down B, etc. There's lots of ways to get close. But if you are having issues, switch the character you are playing as. Especially if you play that many matches.

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
There's good ways to take on Link, but of course you have to learn how to space well. Bombs can be caught, always stay focus on them, because although they disappear from a throw, they can land a nice punch. Bombs and the boomerang are mostly used to make damage and set trapped. Try to learn what are the traps Link can set and if they're on the stage, don't rush. If using Wario, here's a hint. Link's attacks, bombs and boomerang with require two or more hints to encounter the bike, use that in your advantage.

Many Links like to roll, punish them well if they do this. Learn to time your shields, shielding is essential to defeating a good Link. Most of his attacks have lag, so an attack after a shield might always land as well as a grab.

Spacing, Shields and Grabs are your best weapons against a Link.

ConsummateK

Smash Cadet
If the game is working as intended, then "cheap" tactics don't exist. They're just tactics. I'm reminded of a great set of articles from Sirlin (which I tried to link to...but don't have enough posts yet). Google "Sirlin playing to win" and it should get you to the right page. He's got a full book, but the article with the breakdown of the "scrub" mentality is what I am referring to.

Anyway I don't know nearly enough about playing a competitive Link to provide you with much insight. What I can tell you is that if my gameplan as to spam projectiles I'm probably going to be annoyed if you're constantly in my face not allowing me to do so.

Chief Chili

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChiefChili
3DS FC
4399-0356-3573
Projectiles are what make Link who he is. You have to learn to work with it. Like others have said, work on running and shielding, jumping over his projectiles. Be aware of his attack range and your own attack range (spacing). Everyone has habits, work on trying to find these habits and punish accordingly. If your opponent tends to shield grab you try doing an aerial and landing behind him or doing empty hops into grab. Mix up your approaches. If he tends to do smashes or jabs when you get close, bait them and then move in and punish. It may help to look up videos of the match up. See how others deal with projectiles.

I don't know if Bowser is who you typically play or not, nor do I have much info on Bowser in general but consider up B out of shield as an option, especially if they like to roll a lot. Stay out of Link's grab range and space him out with fire breath (although his shield may block most of it). Approach from the air and down b if you think he's going to up smash. Don't forget about his side b which is a command grab. Do you know how much I wish my main had a command grab?

Look, I feel your pain. It's easier said than done. I don't usually play characters with projectiles and I main DK so I know how much projectiles can harass him. Either work through it and learn the match up or pick another character for this match up. And stop saying these players who supposedly spam are worse than you. If they're beating you what does that make you? Stop complaining and saying it's impossible. If you want to win you must have the correct mindset.

TFofTruth

Smash Rookie
I haven't faced ONE SINGLE Link online that doesn't spam projectiles and Smash Attacks. Link is definitely one of the most annoying characters to play against when it comes to spamming. I played against one of those again tonight, played maybe 15-20 matches --- I didn't win one single match. I'm a decent player. I'm not saying I'm super good, I'm not saying I'm pro, but I'm decent. This Link made me, once again, shut down Smash 3DS with rage in my body.

Seriously, since Link has so different projectiles (one is explosive throwing item, one its a boomerang that can drag you back, and one is quick and annoying), it's impossible for me to get close. Seriously, there's really nothing I can do. Since he can use his projectiles so fast, there's not way to dodge it for me. Dodge the boomerang? Boom, a bomb. Dodge the bomb? Boom, an arrow. And boom, another Bomb. And so it goes. If I do get to come close, in addition to these excelent projectiles, Link has a frickin' sword to help him as well. Putting in a jab there, and I'm knocked away and he can continue. And since I'm too busy dodging his projectiles, how am I supposed to dodge his jab, or even attack him?!

Smash can be so extremly fun, and I've had some very epic matches tonight, but matches like this just makes me rage like mad. And the worst thing is that the spammers, either of rolling or projectiles, aren't good players. They just keep doing the attacks because they're good. The don't know combos, they don't know anything - and yet they win. THAT is annoying, that people who I'm sure don't even practice, and does everything annoying and "unfair" they can, wins against me...! :\

This just makes me unmotivated, sad, and REALLY frustrated. I was seriously about to punch my 3DS when I lost that final match against him...
Your main problem isn't Link, it's your own attitudes in general. If losing makes you "rage" then your attitude towards failure is preventing your improvement. If you suffer 15 or 20 losses against the same opponent, the truth is you were outplayed, plain and simple. If the Link player were using mindless projectile spam only, what does that say about you that you were unable to defeat him? Far more likely is he was an expert at keeping you out, which I agree is frustrating, but there's nothing unfair about this approach. This frustration should harden your resolve to develop your game to where you can get in past the projectiles.

You probably learned more from those matches than you realize. You'll play all different levels of Link players, and with the experience you just got you'll do better. One clever way I've seen people get in on Link is they catch a ride on his boomerang. The boomerang only damages on the way out, but if you dodge it you can then intentionally ride the whirlwind back in close for a surprise approach. Other than that, individual approaches will differ based on which character you are playing.

There's also nothing wrong with a little "cross-training." The way I learned to deal with projectiles flying through the air was playing 4 player free-for-all with items turned on. Sometimes you just jump them, sometimes you short hop to bait a throw then double jump before you're hit, sometimes you air-dodge and catch items. Work on all these methods of evasion and you'll fare a lot better against Link.

Top Bottom