• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question for Melee Veterans

TheMarthRunner

Smash Cadet
NNID
reallemon
Im new to the Melee competitive scene and I practice for about 2 hours a day. I have played for about 10 years, but just recently started getting serious. In your opinion what are the TOP FIVE Skills to learn and perfect in melee??? What is a typical training regimen for you?

CrippleCow

Smash Rookie
NNID
CrippleCow
1. DI
2. SHFFLs and L canceling in general
3. For Marth, perfecting his movement, dash dance, wavedash etc.
4. Out of shield options
5. Spacing

But just knowing all these alone won't get you far, having a great neutral and punish game is much more important.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
1. DI
2. SHFFLs and L canceling in general
3. For Marth, perfecting his movement, dash dance, wavedash etc.
4. Out of shield options
5. Spacing

But just knowing all these alone won't get you far, having a great neutral and punish game is much more important.
Seconded

As far as training regimens go I play computers sometimes just to keep my hands warm and my tech and movement consistent, but you want to be playing people both at your level and above your level. When you play people at your level you learn things unconciously and adapt and grow, but when you play better players you get whooped and can use the experience to study and consciously see what you are doing wrong and ideas on how to improve.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
You don't need a veteran to answer this question.
it seems he does since you didn't answer it

what the others suggested was good. you should also learn why people make decisions under certain circumstances and how to manipulate people into doing what you want and get a firm grasp on the mental side of melee in general.

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
I'll be brief:
  • Dashdancing/ground spacing
  • Ledge mechanics (occupancy, ledgeguarding, return to stage tactics)
  • Using platforms to your advantage
  • Neutral situation awareness (your opponents % is X and your % is X. What is your opponent's best option? what is yours?)
  • Aerial Spacing

Last edited:
Im new to the Melee competitive scene and I practice for about 2 hours a day. I have played for about 10 years, but just recently started getting serious. In your opinion what are the TOP FIVE Skills to learn and perfect in melee??? What is a typical training regimen for you?
1) Having the continued devotion to keep at it despite all downsides
2) The ability to find people to play against
3) Figuring out how to understand the game
4) Decision making ability
5) Technical Proficiency

Without this first one you will likely never get as far as other people who have more devotion to be willing to put in the time and effort to get better. The game is about playing other people and if you limit yourself to only a few people you limit your potential. Understanding how the game works is pretty fundamental to the last two points. It helps direct much of your practice and what to focus towards. From here you need to make good decisions since bad ones will increase your number of weaknesses people can leverage against you. Finally, the above is nothing without the ability to carry it out and execute it well.

Last edited:
1. Grit
2. Prediction
3. Decision making
4. Spacing
5. Technique

Personally, I don't train because it's boring. I just play the game with friends. Sometimes I play other fighting games online to improve my prediction and spacing. Working out helps me feel more energetic when I play games

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
The most important aspect for each level of play IMO -

For low level play - Just having the spacing and fundamentals down solid, knowing the characters and combos. And don't SD, no stupid deaths off the edge for trying some snazzy ledgeplay/edgeguard
For mid level play - advanced movement and punish game
For high level play - DI, especially combo DI and SDI/ASDI.....other wise you will get 4 stocked by much better players. They are counting on you not escaping common combos. SDI/ASDI to escape/survive things like like Fox Up Air and shallow angle attacks like Shiek/Falcon's Fair.
For Professional level play - mindgames

How do you get better at reads??
He was most likely just throwing it out to be cheeky, but there is a way as far as move sets are concerned. Learn to recognize the start up animations of all the moves/techs/get-ups that can be reacted to. I'd set up the Gifs to where it's the first 2-4 frames of each character's moves/etc and I'd have to correctly guess what they were about to do and how fast I could identify it. This helps with your punish game a lot.

Other reads such as anticipating movement and reading your actual opponent's habits are a natural learning process that comes only with lots of human player experience and natural intuition.

Last edited:

TheMarthRunner

Smash Cadet
NNID
reallemon
The most important aspect for each level of play IMO -

For low level play - Just having the spacing and fundamentals down solid, knowing the characters and combos. And don't SD, no stupid deaths off the edge for trying some snazzy ledgeplay/edgeguard
For mid level play - advanced movement and punish game
For high level play - DI, especially combo DI and SDI/ASDI.....other wise you will get 4 stocked by much better players. They are counting on you not escaping common combos. SDI/ASDI to escape/survive things like like Fox Up Air and shallow angle attacks like Shiek/Falcon's Fair.
For Professional level play - mindgames

He was most likely just throwing it out to be cheeky, but there is a way as far as move sets are concerned. Learn to recognize the start up animations of all the moves/techs/get-ups that can be reacted to. I'd set up the Gifs to where it's the first 2-4 frames of each character's moves/etc and I'd have to correctly guess what they were about to do and how fast I could identify it. This helps with your punish game a lot.

Other reads such as anticipating movement and reading your actual opponent's habits are a natural learning process that comes only with lots of human player experience and natural intuition.
Define this so called SDI and ASDI, how is that different than DI? Also what are these so called "GIF of character movesets"??

Charple

Smash Rookie
I would say for beginner level:
1. Basic AT's (SHFFL, wavedash, Waveland, teching, etc...)
2. Punish game/combos
3. Edgeguarding
4. Reads, spacing, and other mental stuff
5. Good mindset

nesefut

Smash Rookie
My practice usually goes like this:
1. Warmup your hands
Technical characters can cause a lot of stress on your hands so this tends to be important.

2. SHFFL Practice
I use 20XX so I set the computer to shield and just practice my shield pressure options, including double shine, waveshine and whatnot.

3. Combo practice
I set the CPU lvl 9 and just practice combos I want to perfect.

4. Play some matches
My brother plays too so a couple matches with him help me practice a bit more.

Note: SSBM 20XX really helps a lot if you don't have anyone to practice with, I recommend you get it if you want to get better

Top Bottom