• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about Snake's explosives

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Snake's Down Smash from what I hear is a Land Mine. Anyone who steps on it goes boom. Meanwhile, Snake's Down+B is a brick of C4 which he activates with another D+B command. What i am wondering is if it's possible to lay a mine and a C4 brick in one sitting? If it's possible, it could make for great edgeguarding and grapple tricks.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Snake's Down Smash from what I hear is a Land Mine. Anyone who steps on it goes boom. Meanwhile, Snake's Down+B is a brick of C4 which he activates with another D+B command. What i am wondering is if it's possible to lay a mine and a C4 brick in one sitting? If it's possible, it could make for great edgeguarding and grapple tricks.
you can have both placed at the same time, but they're pretty bad for edgeguarding because everyone sweetspots the ledge

edit: but if you meant edgeguard by putting them spaced from the ledge and such, that's a good way to edgeguard

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Ah right, the modified edge grab. Least you can do some mindgames and manipulate people with the mines instead of making them go pop.

Btw, how's the ko potential on the Mine and the Brick?

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
the C4 kills at lower percents but not by a lot, I'd say at like 100% they're as good as dead

about the Mine its a little more

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
What happens when you try to down smash a second time while the mine is still active? Does the new one replace the old? Does it just disappear? Can you lay down two, or does the game just prevent you from down-smashing?

GenG

Smash Lord
What happens when you try to down smash a second time while the mine is still active? Does the new one replace the old? Does it just disappear? Can you lay down two, or does the game just prevent you from down-smashing?
You can only lay a mine, the first one simply disappears. No explosion.

You can charge the dsmash for a more powerful mine!

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
And extra grunting. Charging = grunt grunt grunt.
I don't like downsmash too much. I land on it just about as often as they do. It doesn't really give Snake an advantage unless you place it in tandem with a down-B or something.

Anyone know if charged upsmash does more damage/knockback or just more height?

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
You can only lay a mine, the first one simply disappears. No explosion.

You can charge the dsmash for a more powerful mine!
ahhh thanks, I was meaning to try charging it but I never got the chance.

And extra grunting. Charging = grunt grunt grunt.
I don't like downsmash too much. I land on it just about as often as they do. It doesn't really give Snake an advantage unless you place it in tandem with a down-B or something.

Anyone know if charged upsmash does more damage/knockback or just more height?
Charged upsmash does more damage/knockback + height :)

GenG

Smash Lord
I also noticed that usmash has a rising hit if you are too close, which pops people upwards into the missile.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Can you influence the trajectory of the mortar?
I believe you can but I'm not 100% sure, I think it's like how you can aim Samus' Forward Smash in Melee... but instead of forward its up

I was trying to figure it out when I was playing but it didn't always go in the direction I wanted it to go in.

Kham

Smash Cadet
Can you press down b to detonate while in hitstun from another attack, getting hit? how about during a roll animation? or even during an attack? or during side b when you are controlling the nikita?
What triggers the down smash mine to explode? Is it comparable to a proximity mine, when walking over it triggers it?
How much knockback and hitstun do grenades do when they hit without exploding?

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Can you press down b to detonate while in hitstun from another attack, getting hit? how about during a roll animation? or even during an attack? or during side b when you are controlling the nikita?
What triggers the down smash mine to explode? Is it comparable to a proximity mine, when walking over it triggers it?
How much knockback and hitstun do grenades do when they hit without exploding?
you can't down b while being hit, while attacking, or rolling because you have to pull out the detonator

Down smash mine is a proximitymine if someone goes on it, it explodes

grenades that just hit you (not the explosion) don't appear to have any hit stun, they do 3% damage I believe

Kham

Smash Cadet
can you drop a c4 in the air after doing an upb and detonate it before it ever hits the ground?

can the mortar damage snake?

can the nikita damage snake?

McDareth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
McDareth
Snake's down smash

As I posted in the SMYN Episode 31, On the Dojo Snake's down smash size, color and form changed did any one notice this?

Kham

Smash Cadet
the dojo doesn't say anything about throwing grenades up or down. can you throw the grenade in those directions? can it be caught in midair or picked up from the floor?

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
can you drop a c4 in the air after doing an upb and detonate it before it ever hits the ground?

can the mortar damage snake?

can the nikita damage snake?
You can drop C4 in the air and detonate it before it hits the ground

The mortar can't damage snake

I'm not sure about the nikita, I droped one in my face and it didn't hurt me so I'd assume it doesn't

the dojo doesn't say anything about throwing grenades up or down. can you throw the grenade in those directions? can it be caught in midair or picked up from the floor?
if you hold back on the control stick you throw the grenade up from where you're standing but not very high, if you want to throw it down just drop it by shielding.

The grenade can be caught and picked up.

Kham

Smash Cadet
Can you fire another nikita while one is already in the air?

How about another mortar?

verditude

Smash Journeyman
Can you throw the grenade using the A button, or do you do A attacks while holding it instead?

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Can you fire another nikita while one is already in the air?

How about another mortar?
You can only have 1 nikita missle out at a time because when you use the nikita you're steering the missle.

As for the mortar I believe you can have 2 shots out if you charge the first one then shoot a short one

Can you throw the grenade using the A button, or do you do A attacks while holding it instead?
When you pull out the grenade you have to hold B not to throw it, if you drop it you can pick it up with A, then throw it with A

I'm pretty sure you can't perform A attacks while holding the grenade, not so sure about B attacks

EvilGenki

Smash Rookie
I've seen in a vid that the land mine can be disabled by enemy attacks, I think it was the projectile from Kirby's Up B in the instance I saw. How easy/risky is it for enemies to try to disable the land mine without being caught in the explosion? Can Marth walk up and Dtilt it safely?

Can the C4 be tampered with in any way by opponents?

Do the C4 and mines you've laid disappear when you are KO'd?

Also, I thought I saw a grenade go off early in someone's face when they accidentally hit it en-route with a stray attack, is this correct?

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
I've seen in a vid that the land mine can be disabled by enemy attacks, I think it was the projectile from Kirby's Up B in the instance I saw. How easy/risky is it for enemies to try to disable the land mine without being caught in the explosion? Can Marth walk up and Dtilt it safely?

Can the C4 be tampered with in any way by opponents?

Do the C4 and mines you've laid disappear when you are KO'd?

Also, I thought I saw a grenade go off early in someone's face when they accidentally hit it en-route with a stray attack, is this correct?
any ranged attack should be safe from land mines, as for marths attacks I'm not sure because his range has been shortened since melee...

The C4 can't be affected in any way by opponents

The C4 stays when you've been KO'd

EvilGenki

Smash Rookie
What happens with mines/C4 on unusual stages? If a mine/C4 is on a platform that crumbles what happens? If you plant a mine/C4 on a portion of a moving stage that moves off screen of play what happens?

CATS

Smash Journeyman
been fiddling around with snake a bit today and i'll answer a few things that haven't seem to have been answered yet.

nessbounder, if C4 and d-smash mine are on top of each other, the mines explosion doesn't set off the C4s unfortunately so it would still just be one explosion. even if snake activated the C4s remotely at the exact same time i think the explosion radius is slightly different so it probably still wouldn't hit although i'm not 100% on that.

as for attacks setting off incoming grenades, ANY fire based attacks will explode the grenades so throwing them at charizard as he's doing fair and stuff = instant boom. samus fair? same thing. samus dtilt? kapow. so basically they're nice for immediate throwing at anyone who has a decent ammount of fire based attacks.

when you first pull out a grenade snake will enter a "grenade holding" pose where you can't turn around but can move back forward and jump, you have 4 options basically from here. strong toss, normal toss, weak toss and by shielding snake will auto drop it (yes if you're holding the grenade and someone comes in close and you shield thereby dropping it, you are not only protected by your shield but the shield also helps obscures the fact that the grenade is there). by dropping the grenade you can then pick it up and throw it and use it as you would a normal item (this also is true for the enemy)

i'm sure most people know that you auto-pickup items by attacking so if you throw a grenade at someone and then do snake dash attack to follow up, he'll pickup the grenade as he passes it so you can throw it a second time (which usually is around the time the grenade is ready to blow)

hmm what else... the d-smash mine can be blown up from people rolling through it or getting too close without them being hit by it, it's more of a thing for people to be thrown or whacked into than something to deter them from going to that area. it can be blown up by lots of projectiles but that's when you use your anti projectile nikita to stop all that rubbish. i have to say i'm impressed with the nikitas ability to pass through full charge samus shots and links arrows.

C4 seems to only explode when snake decides to detonate with another dwnB, but the start-up animation for the C4 detonator is really quite lengthy. you're only going to hit with it if the person hasn't noticed they're standing on the small C4 or if you whack someone in its direction then detonate.

grenades and mine d-smash set off each others explosions although it doesn't really help increase the explosive range much. snake seems to only be able to damage himself via grenades, C4 and the mine d-smash. the mine is much less useful and much slower to pull out than simply dropping a grenade on the ground via shielding to control the stage. the u-smash can be tilted slightly the same way you could tilt some f-smashs in melee. snakes upB is the worst thing about him as he seems to be very vulnerable to projectile spam when coming to an edge since he doesn't seem to autograb quickly like the rest of the cast >>

EvilGenki

Smash Rookie
I got a little bit of play-time today so I found the answers to a few of my questions. Planted C4 will drop down to the surface immediately below it if the platform it was placed on disappears. Not sure about what happens with mines.

Also, I got the impression that C4 only can stay out for a limited amount of time before it auto-detonates; I found my C4 bricks going off when I wasn't even doing a B move. Can anyone verify this?

Top Bottom