• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about phantom hit rest

masterwumpus

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this has been answered, I searched and didn't see it if it has been.

I know that a phantom hit rest can actually function like a spike sometimes. It is odd, because phantom hits usually have no knockback at all, but I personally have done it before so I know that it can give a straight down trajectory. My question has two parts:
1. Does it always act as a spike?
2. Is it a spike or a meteor smash?

Please let me know what is already known about it. I would test it myself, but it is kinda hard to do consistently without an AR.

doyoung2win

Smash Ace
if you can send him in that direction, amazing! I have pulled off multiple phantom rests and none have that affect. I don't believe you can call it a phantom rest if it gives them that type of knockback.

If it does send them down, it would act as a spike since the move itself is just considered a regular attack with a hell lot of knockback. You wouldn't be able to meteor cancel that.

Are you sure he didnt bounce off an crooked edge or ceiling glitch?

masterwumpus

Smash Journeyman
I was in the middle of FD messing around against a lvl 1 Falco and a few jumps in the air when I hit him. He went straight down. I don't know where the invisible ceiling can occur, so that may be a possibility.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I have never before seen or heard of phantom hits impacting anyone's trajectory at all, much less randomly spiking them. This is false as far as I know or am concerned.

Sliq

Smash Master
Masterwumpus isn't the type of guy to just make **** up. This probably DID happend and is probably just a random glitch. Also, all of my phantom rests have had no knockback.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
My guesses are that it could have been invisible ceiling, in which case it wouldn't have actually been a phantom, which you would be able to tell by the % the Falco was given, plus I don't think he will catch on fire if it's a phantom rest; or that somehow the phantom hit just stopped his normal trajectory and he just 'fell' instead of being spiked. Phantom hits might also have some hitlag frames that could be Smash DI'd.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
If you did it to a level one Falco, maybe after the phantom hit he just fell and died. Computers do that sometimes, especially level ones; just randomly falling and dying without trying to recover. All I know about phantom rests is that they are INCREDIBLY gay. It's like, I went to all that work to set up a combo and work that rest in, all I get for my effort is jack **** and Falcon punch to the face. Man.

masterwumpus

Smash Journeyman
phanna, I honestly can't think of a single reason to make this up.

The idea of an invisible ceiling makes a lot more sense than a phantom hit now that I think about it. I didn't get to check the percentage and my only conclusion at the time was that it must be a phantom hit. Obviously it is not a normal phantom hit, as you all have stated those have no knockback at all.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I didn't say you were making up what you were describing, I said that a phantom hit cannot possibly spike or otherwise change someone's trajectory.

I don't understand why phantom hits are being discussed here at all, if you random spike'd someone from a rest, isn't that all that happened?

masterwumpus

Smash Journeyman
Has that happened to people before? I just didn't know what happened and grabbed the idea of phantom hits as the only explanation I could come up with at the time. I suppose what I really want to know is what it was, as normal phantom hit is obviously not correct.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I see, and I agree, I have never seen a rest random-spike someone before. Do you recall if they were trying to start a ground-attack at the time? I ask because that's pretty much what causes it: Ceiling glitch (AR).

Top Bottom