• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about Ness's Final Smash

OnettSphere

Smash Cadet
Can I ask why it is PK Starstorm? I heard its not even a move Ness learns! Why wouldn't they use PSI Rockin or something like that? That would have atleast given Lucas and Ness a diffrent Final Smash!

What do you think of Ness's Final Smash? Should It Have Been Changed and what to?

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
I think the same problem can be said of 3 Landmasters as well. Wolf never even saw or used a landmaster.

Ness definitely should have used PK Rockin as his final smash. A bunch of multicolored lights flashing across the screen followed by a huge explosion that causes instant KOs at 0% would be much better than PK Starstorm.

In all honesty either 2 things will happen.

1) There will be no SSB4 and this will be the last installment.
2) Sakurai will direct SSB4 and thus because of that, we'll get a product that wouldn't be nearly as good as if Nintendo hired someone else better to direct SSB4. Somebody new with better and more innovative ideas need to direct SSB4, not Sakurai.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
2) Sakurai will direct SSB4 and thus because of that, we'll get a product that wouldn't be nearly as good as if Nintendo hired someone else better to direct SSB4. Somebody new with better and more innovative ideas need to direct SSB4, not Sakurai.
Personally, i am sick of people coming down on Sakurai. He pretty much balanced this game himself, and from what i have seen, it is pretty ****ed well balanced. What Iwata needs to do is hire Sakurai to lead the team, and then find a way to hire some people from the community who know what they are talking about(like GimpyFish for example) to join in on the team and give Sakurai feedback on such things. That way we could have a balanced game with differentiated characters and no tripping.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
No offense, but that's ********. You're assuming that Sakurai KNEW what parts of the game the community of Smash had figured out, which is....I will tell you now, almost impossible. And then that he could foresee every single way this game could be used and purposefully balanced every single character, again a nigh impossibility considering how much individual metagame comes into play.

People give developers WAAAY too much credit. There's literally only so much they can control.

DD151

Smash Journeyman
i thought psi rockin is ness's forward and back throws?

ness doesn't learn any of his specials either, except pk flash... developers have been pretty liberal with assigning moves to characters; i guess ness was supposed to represent the game as a whole or something. not to mention that most of his moves in earthbound aren't conducive to melee (psi hypnosis? paralysis?), so the next option was to take moves from other characters.

iirc psi starstorm omega was more powerful than psi rockin omega anyway

DD151

Smash Journeyman
and they were both crappy moves (hardly supports my point, but whatever)

i've actually wondered why psi teleport isn't ness's up b or something

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
and they were both crappy moves (hardly supports my point, but whatever)
Well if sing had more range and disable had more range and your opponent did not have to face you and more priority it would have been broken.

Kirby Gotenks absorbed

Smash Apprentice
South Africa, Guateng, next to the street and in t
i thought psi rockin is ness's forward and back throws?
I think Ness's F-air move and dash moves are PK/PSI Rockin', it looks quite similar to it, also the description to PSI Rockin' in Earthbound is something like "Ness releases psychokinetic waves" or something like that...

Is there a PSI Stay-on-topic? =3
I'm very sorry, but they didn't put that move in the game...

Who thinks Ness's PK Starstorm looks cooler that lucas's PK Starstorm?

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Both the way Ness says "PK STARSTOOOORRM!" and the way he uses it are SOOOO much better than Lucas and how he says "PK Staaarstorm..." Ness's also seems more powerful to me.

Grimjack

Smash Rookie
Ness's version is defiantly cooler.

While we're at it, who else misses forward smash SFX ?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ness' "ping" bat has been replaced with the generic baseball "crack" noise. Some like it, I dont. I miss that powerful sond. I mean, only the strongest of the moves made that sound right? The home run bat, Luigi's dragon punch, Jigglyupuff's rest, it just gave me a feeling of superiority.

All in all, the bat has been nerfed. Less speed, less range, more lag, but the biggest nerf IMO has to be the sound effect :(

Ness also has no more whistle sound in his sparkle moves, throw, and double jump.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ive said this already.

No more whistle in his double jump, fair, specials, or throws.
No whistle at all.

Fair is a whoop noise
Double jump is whoosh
Specials have no sound effect when started
Throws and dash attack are "ts ts ts"

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
They should have released the game later and made Final Smashes more different. Not that I ever play with items on or anything but COME ON! 3 landmasters??? 2 PK Starstorms?? Why Nintendo? Why? Maybe they should have spent less time developing tripping animations and come up with some original FS. Just a thought...

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
Eh, Ness's PK Starstorm is stronger, and rains down a lot faster then Lucas', but since it rains in wide patterns, its more predictable then Lucas', and playing on a really small stage, like skyworld, Lucas' starstorm would be a better choice since it comes straight down on the stage.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
Fair is a whoop noise
Double jump is whoosh
Specials have no sound effect when started
Throws and dash attack are "ts ts ts"
Throws are more of a "swish swish," actually. (kidding)

I miss the whistle noises, too. But I've grown to like the crack of the bat--it's the only move in the game that makes it, and it certainly makes more sense. That said, I do miss the ping noise ... and it's still in the game because Luigi has it. F***ing Luigi.

PSI Rockin' was like ... huge and squarish looking. Some of Lucas's hexagonal attacks make me think of it, but nothing of Ness's resembles it in my opinion.

Dark_Ness

Smash Journeyman
To answer the first question, Ness was bored one day, and so he pestered Poo to teach him how to summon stars to rain on cities and thus destroy them. >>
(Honestly, I dunno why.)

Now for the other two questions. I much prefer Ness's Starstorm to Lucas's. I'd explain why, but Dajayman already did so for me:
Both the way Ness says "PK STARSTOOOORRM!" and the way he uses it are SOOOO much better than Lucas and how he says "PK Staaarstorm..." Ness's also seems more powerful to me.
If I could change it, it'd definitely be Psi Rockin' Omega over anything else. How it'd work...
There would be a small, invisible target area about 10 feet above Ness (one jump from Ness). Three large shockwaves would push all enemies within it towards that target (not all the way) and do 5-10% damage, each one progressively smaller so as to create the effect of a black hole (Their timing being similar to that of the first three sounds of Psi Rockin Omega). After those three inward-flowing shockwaves did there work, a vast amount of psychic energy would expand from the target area and create the effect of a Psychic Smart Bomb twice as big and twice as powerful as the regular one.
Once that damage is done, then *BAM* huge multi-colored explosion, opponents flying, happy victorious Ness.

...and yes, he'd freaking scream it. Scream it as if it was the last move he ever made. =D

Neodaft_boy

Smash Cadet
When you look at Ness' final smash trophy, it gives a vague reason behind learning PK Starstorm -- said to have learned the technique from Poo.

Quote: "Perhaps Poo taught Ness the secret of the attack for the use in Super Smash Bros. Brawl." kind of a weird excuse if you ask me. =/

I don't think it's nessesary to change the final smash though it might of been cool to see something different though. I'm quite satisfied with what Brawl already has to offer... Sakurai and his team are sitting in piles of cash right now XD so... what ever we think wont really matter lol (truth be told o: )

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
God, if one more person says "they're making money, no need to critique", I'm going to punch someone.

Shawnmccaul22

Smash Rookie
I believe it should be changed, but unlike most of the people here, I wouldn't have PSI Rockin' as the changed final smash. I feel like it would be too similar to his old final smash and possibly Lucas's final smash. Instead, I believe Ness' final smash should be the Runaway Five bursting in, similar to what happening in the clumsy robot fight. However, instead of them just flicking a switch, they should use their dances and instrument to pack some pain. And for their final blow, they should have the tour bus run them over. Hopefully I'm not alone in this thought.

Top Bottom