• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about MH4U

BKTang'

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Konjiki-Jizo
3DS FC
1950-9517-4990
Hello everyone,

I have a pretty simple question about MH4U : as I have almost never played any Monster Hunter, do you think that I can give a try to this one?
To explain everything, I played MH3U a little, but the first subaquatic zone literally scares me (I don't know why I hate to be underwater in games, and unfortunately almost every game has one :(). I heard that in this one they delete these zones to add some verticality, so it's good for me. Also farming is not a problem.
However, even if I'll give a try to the demo this thursday, I'd like to know if the difficulty is well balanced, and also if all the gameplay (crafting, hunting strategically) is easily understandable for a new player.

Thank you for your answers :)

Khao

Smash Lord
There's absolutely no swimming in MH4, so if you don't like subaquatic stuff you're good to go there.

As for difficulty, Monster Hunter in general is pretty difficult. The curve is pretty straightforward, save for stronger versions of older monsters, you'll keep fighting tougher and tougher monsters throughout the game, each one more powerful, and with more complicated patterns than the last. The key here is that the do have patterns and they can be learned perfectly if you fight a monster enough times, you basically have to pay attention to how they move, and make up your strategy from that. This means that even though fighting monsters is pretty damn hard, it's actually very intuitive if you're patient enough to understand how each specific monster reacts and moves. In the end, you'll be able to read the most powerful of monsters like an open book and you'll have no trouble fighting them. There's absoltely no "cheap difficulty" either. If you lose, it's because you put yourself in a bad position, or are not paying attention to the monster's moves as you should. Every single monster can be learned.

But that's just when it comes to strategy and combat. Weapon crafting and managing stats/skills and stuff can get really confusing if it's your first time playing and you got no outside information. Don't be afraid to ask for help, using guides, and looking up general information like ways to get materials, or how skills work and what they do.

Also, earlier I mentioned that the combat and strategizing is intuitive if you're patient.

That's another thing.

To play Monster Hunter you need a lot of patience. While the game arguably doesn't get boring if you know just what you're doing and you give yourself both short and long-term goals, it will be extremely repetitive. I'm talking about fighting the same monster dozens of times in a row just to get that one item you need to complete your armor set. It can be frustrating, but that's all just part of the fun (if that makes sense =P).

Definitely go ahead and play the demo once you get the chance, I believe it doesn't teach you about weapon/armor crafting and how everything works, but you'll get a good feel on what the game is generally like.

Hope you enjoy it. Monster Hunter is definitely not for everyone, but if you enjoy it, chances are you actually ****ing love it.

BKTang'

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Konjiki-Jizo
3DS FC
1950-9517-4990
Thanks a lot, you answer pretty much everything I was thinking about :)

For the difficulty, I'll take it, as long as it's not really unfair =p
I guess losing is part of the learning, and that's ok for me.
If the farming gets boring, I'll switch to Majora's Mask to take a break :)

I'll definitely give a go to the demo tomorrow, and buy the game as I see there is a good tutorial at the beginning.
And I'll lurk some forums / ask for help if I'm in trouble!

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
The monster Hunter community is great the majority of the time, if you have any issues I'm sure you will find someone to help you out.

The difficulty is always fair, you never see a reason to blame the game, just a thing to improve upon next time.

Hit monsters, don't get hit.

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
The monster Hunter community is great the majority of the time, if you have any issues I'm sure you will find someone to help you out.

The difficulty is always fair, you never see a reason to blame the game, just a thing to improve upon next time.

Hit monsters, don't get hit.
Plus there's weapons for all playstyles. I'm a dedicated bowgunner and there's almost always a place for me.

VValter

Smash Rookie
Plus there's weapons for all playstyles. I'm a dedicated bowgunner and there's almost always a place for me.
Damn it feels good to be a musician in MH, you feel like you're helping a lot and Dual Blade users love you for dat sweet infinite stamina.

Top Bottom