• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about lag on HDTVs

god720

Smash Rookie
I got a crappy $400ish HDTV for my birthday a while ago, and obviously, SSB64 lags like crazy on it. I noticed that there was no lag on my computer, however, so I'm wondering if VGA doesn't lag like RCA does. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm considering getting an adapter to hook up my N64 to the VGA port, but some confirmation beforehand would be nice.

M!nt

Smash Champion
I wouldn't call a 400 dollar TV crappy. See if it has some kind of game mode setting, that's what mine has and the lag isn't noticeable at least imo. It turns off all that fancy stuff that makes the picture better so that the video gets outputted faster. I don't think getting a VGA adapter for your n64 will do anything because I think your TV still has to convert the resolution from SD to HD causing the lag.(unless you buy one of those standalone resolution converters which are over 1000 dollars I think :C) The reason it runs lagless on computer is because its an emulator and you can set what resolution you want it to run at meaning nothing has to be unscaled which means no lag. I don't think your monitor being VGA means anything. idk I might be giving false information lol.

allthetriumph

Smash Rookie
The problem is that the TV has to convert the resolution. Unfortunately, it is not a problem with an easy fix.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
easiest fix is going to a local second hand store like Goodwill or Salvation Army and get a 5-10$ CRT aka Tube TV aka FAT, OLD, NON-HD Television

Best fix ^

B Link

Smash Lord
You might be able to turn off some of the processing settings to lower the delay. But it'll still be around 2 frames in my experience.

Blast

Smash Rookie
From what I've seen you basically need a CRT, which should be relatively easy to find for really cheap.

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
it depends. most computers have lag when they convert video to a hdmi signal. most hdtvs have lag when processing hdmi. ive seen some setups have almost no lag, but some others have almost a quarter of a second.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
in my experience, it depends on what kind of cable(s) you use as well as the tv's frame draw delay in milliseconds

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
just get CRT TV. Often free on Craigslist in my area, or 15 dollars at MOST at a goodwill/thrift store.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I got a crappy $400ish HDTV for my birthday a while ago, and obviously, SSB64 lags like crazy on it. I noticed that there was no lag on my computer, however, so I'm wondering if VGA doesn't lag like RCA does. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm considering getting an adapter to hook up my N64 to the VGA port, but some confirmation beforehand would be nice.

What brand of HDTV do you own?

As others have suggested, try putting your TV in Game Mode which will most likely solve your issue. I own a Sharp Aquos LCD TV and in Game Mode there is no input lag whatsoever.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Every HDTV is going to have some lag especially with older consoles like the N64, but if you have a newer gaming system with HDMI output then take a look at the BenQ RL2455HM gaming monitor.

If you're in to competitive Super Smash Bros., however, you'll be best served by picking up a Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) television. You can often get them cheap or even free off of Craig's List but be warned that anything larger than 22 inches is probably going to be pretty heavy. Personally, I prefer the CRT's that include S-Video as the N64 and GameCube both support that connection.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
@ KnitePhox: Thanks, I like to share my wealth of knowledge with others almost as much as I enjoy absorbing other people's wisdom.

If you can find a nice flat screen CRT snatch it up because those usually have the cleanest picture quality. Super Smash Bros. and Melee will look great on these sets if you use S-Video and fortunately both the N64 and GameCube can share the same cable as it's compatible with both consoles.

Top Bottom