• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about DI

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
So recently I've come to find that DI goes a lot more in depth than I thought it did. I read the guide on smashboards and a video on YouTube that showed me things I didn't even know existed. TDI? SDI?

Anyway, the video says that to cancel your momentum, and get the max out of DI, is to do your fastest aerial after your DI and then immediately fast fall.

Is this the correct way to do it? Say I was side smashed by Marth (Launched to the Right), would the input be: (Controlstick - Up left), A, (Controlstick - Down)?

I would always air dodge after a potentially lethal smash and it seemed to work, but I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years...I don't even know where that habit came from.

P.S - I didn't understand SDI that well in either of the guides, and it didn't even look helpful in the video. What exactly is that?

----------------

Also, did DI work the same way in melee, or even 64? I'm trying to master things in previous games because I want to be in tip-top shape for SSB4.

Espyo

Smash Apprentice
I'm not really the world's best expert at DI, but if I remember correctly, Smash 64 only had SDI.
Anyway, the method you said on that Marth example is pretty much the way to go... for horizontal knockback. Left+Up needs to be held before the attack connects.
As for what SDI is, it's a bit different. It's super easy to understand though.
Step 1: Blow yourself up with a Smart Bomb.
Step 2: Mash the analog stick up a bunch of times.
That's it, you're SDIing. To do it effectively, though, you should combine it with the C-stick, which is explained in some of the videos.

Player -0

Smash Hero
So recently I've come to find that DI goes a lot more in depth than I thought it did. I read the guide on smashboards and a video on YouTube that showed me things I didn't even know existed. TDI? SDI?

Anyway, the video says that to cancel your momentum, and get the max out of DI, is to do your fastest aerial after your DI and then immediately fast fall.

Is this the correct way to do it? Say I was side smashed by Marth (Launched to the Right), would the input be: (Controlstick - Up left), A, (Controlstick - Down)?

I would always air dodge after a potentially lethal smash and it seemed to work, but I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years...I don't even know where that habit came from.

P.S - I didn't understand SDI that well in either of the guides, and it didn't even look helpful in the video. What exactly is that?

----------------

Also, did DI work the same way in melee, or even 64? I'm trying to master things in previous games because I want to be in tip-top shape for SSB4.
You probably picked up the airdodge habit from level 9 CPU's, it has the same effect has doing an aerial but characters usually have at least one aerial that's faster than an airdodge. Once you do a move to get you out of hitlag (I think it is) I think the game starts reading if you're pressing in the opposite direction of your knockback because I THINK the game only reads your DI to a certain angle. Yeah, airdodging can help your life expectancy a bit if you're a casual but if you take time to learn proper DI it will help a LOT.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
No, the reason you're supposed to do an aerial rather than an airdodge is that you're able to initiate a fastfall DURING an aerial (can't do this during an airdodge) and the fastfall helps counteract the knockback.

Sedda

Smash Champion
smash di is when you're getting hit with an attack that has multiple hits (At least in 64). So if you don't mash the control stick when you're being hit by fox's drill, your character won't move. If you smash the control stick a certain direction repeatedly while you're getting drilled, you're character is going to move to the side so that you can escape the attack. I'm not sure if that's how it works in Melee, but that's my 64 explanation.

One Melee example that I CAN remember is getting hit by Falcon's nair and smash DI'ing INTO Falcon so that you end up behind him, or something like that. Saw it on a Hax vid some time ago. Also works on Fox's upair. You can SDI the first hit of upair so that you dont get KO'd by the second one.You're basically moving your character's position a little bit every time you get hit.

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
No, the reason you're supposed to do an aerial rather than an airdodge is that you're able to initiate a fastfall DURING an aerial (can't do this during an airdodge) and the fastfall helps counteract the knockback.
So in order to do my DI correctly I would: Aim my DI, press the C-stick for my Aerial of choice and then fast fall? I also saw another thing where they said you should do a B move because it helps cancel even more momentum..know anything about that?

Player -0

Smash Hero
So in order to do my DI correctly I would: Aim my DI, press the C-stick for my Aerial of choice and then fast fall? I also saw another thing where they said you should do a B move because it helps cancel even more momentum..know anything about that?
What character are you using?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
There are 4 B-moves in the game that completely halt knockback as soon as they're used; G&W's bucket (downB), DK's upB, Yoshi's Egg Roll (sideB) and Sonic's downB. Those moves should be used to momentum cancel if you know for sure you're going to die otherwise, but if not then DK's upB and Yoshi's sideB are not worth using for obvious reasons.

Other B-moves don't halt knockback completely but rather counteract it, such as Pikachu's sideB, Luigi's sideB, ZSS' downB etc. The little 'boost' still applies to these moves as well, but if you're getting sent horizontally then generally the boost is almost solely vertical because the trajectory of the move itself counteracts the horizontal vector of the knockback. Generally moves like these are worth using, but again not necessary unless you know you're going to die otherwise.

If you don't have one of the 4 special B-moves listed in the 1st paragraph, or a B-move like the ones mentioned in the 2nd paragraph, then when you're sent horizontally just do your aerial, fastfall it immediately, and (if necessary) jump towards the stage.

If you're sent flying vertically, unless you have one of the 4 special ones I mentioned already, never jump or use a B-move after fastfalling your aerial cause it'll cause you to die earlier. Just fastfall your aerial and that's it.

Top Bottom