• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about D3's B air and jumps...

fridayslobster

Smash Apprentice
So obviously D3's back air is one of his best killing moves, but I can't seem to master his jump. Since you need to tap the controller the opposite direction to get the back air in I always seem to move Really slow when Im going off the edge. Is there some way to get the jumps to go farther?

ps. I know this is probably a noob question but this would really help with my D3...

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
do a rar (reverse aerial rush) Basically run to the edge (say you're going to thbe right edge of FD), tap the controller to the LEFT really fast and then back to the right and you will jump off the stage facing backwards but with all your forward momentum.

You should really look at tactical discussion for this

fridayslobster

Smash Apprentice
do a rar (reverse aerial rush) Basically run to the edge (say you're going to thbe right edge of FD), tap the controller to the LEFT really fast and then back to the right and you will jump off the stage facing backwards but with all your forward momentum.

You should really look at tactical discussion for this
i kno how to RAR, but its after that when i have the trouble. I need to keep going farther w/out turning forwards. I know I can just do the sort of same thing as an RAR but I dont get very far.

Tokerella

Smash Apprentice
hi lobster,

imo, auto-RARing is a bit noobish (b-sticking). one shouldnt need to format their controller to allow them to perform bairs better, in fact if anything youre hindered by this format.

the time it takes for you to switch your thumb to the Cstick and back to the Abutton can be costly and its much more benefitial to tap left right on the dstick quick followed by a jump A tap. also when you auto-RAR in to a bair (even if its a short hop) its an obvious attack coming. in the case of ledgeguarding i can see auto-RARing off the edge usefull.. however i personally like to chase off the edge and tap the direction towards the stage + jump once im midair. by doing this you turn DDD around midair to set up for a bair, but also if you want to nair, dair or fair youre set up because you havent dedicated yourself.

if you want to practice D3s bairs i would suggest practicing your pivot, done by taping left and right back and forth continously. you should hear a *click* *click* *click* *click* of the dstick smashing against the side of the gc controller plastic. i also have my button set to X for jumping. this is extremely useful to get a quick bair off by SLIDING your thumb from the Xbutton down to the Abutton in one fluid motion (exact same thumb slide as if youre were to preform wolf's lagless fair).

fun thing with Ds is you can climb your bairs by rotating *left bair* *right bair* *left bair* *right bair*

in terms getting 'further' with your jumps off stage to KO.. i would chain climb your bairs (very fun and easy to do once you have the X + A slide motion down). even if you expend your 4 jumps with bairs you should still be able to fall/triple jump back to stage (hence why Ds is amazing)

so a nice bair should consist of:
1) *click* *click* (tapping left right on the Dstick)
2) SLIDE your thumb from X (jump) to A (attack)

hope this helps a little
-tok

Met

Smash Ace
hi lobster,

imo, RARing is a bit noobish (b-sticking). one shouldnt need to format their controller to allow them to perform bairs better, in fact if anything youre hindered by this format.

the time it takes for you to switch your thumb to the Cstick and back to the Abutton can be costly and its much more benefitial to tap left right on the dstick quick followed by a jump A tap. also when you RAR in to a bair (even if its a short hop) its an obvious attack coming. in the case of ledgeguarding i can see RARing off the edge usefull.. however i personally like to chase off the edge and tap the direction towards the stage + jump once im midair. by doing this you turn DDD around midair to set up for a bair, but also if you want to nair, dair or fair youre set up because you havent dedicated yourself.

if you want to practice D3s bairs i would suggest practicing your pivot, done by taping left and right back and forth continously. you should hear a *click* *click* *click* *click* of the dstick smashing against the side of the gc controller plastic. i also have my button set to X for jumping. this is extremely useful to get a quick bair off by SLIDING your thumb from the Xbutton down to the Abutton in one fluid motion (exact same thumb slide as if youre were to preform wolf's lagless fair).

fun thing with Ds is you can climb your bairs by rotating *left bair* *right bair* *left bair* *right bair*

in terms getting 'further' with your jumps off stage to KO.. i would chain climb your bairs (very fun and easy to do once you have the X + A slide motion down). even if you expend your 4 jumps with bairs you should still be able to fall/triple jump back to stage (hence why Ds is amazing)

so a nice bair should consist of:
1) *click* *click* (tapping left right on the Dstick)
2) SLIDE your thumb from X (jump) to A (attack)

hope this helps a little
-tok

WTF? first off RAR isn't a controller scheme its hitting the opposite direction before you jump so you run into a reverse jump. Secondly WTF. and lobster use the c-stick to do backairs just pratice jumping with out turning yourself around. also don't listen to tokerella

Tokerella

Smash Apprentice
WTF? first off RAR isn't a controller scheme its hitting the opposite direction before you jump so you run into a reverse jump. Secondly WTF. and lobster use the c-stick to do backairs just pratice jumping with out turning yourself around. also don't listen to tokerella
ZOMGZWTFLAWLROFLMAO!!!1!!

edit: "AUTO-RARing" with bstick*

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
when i short hop bairs, i use the dpad and A, it's quicker and you can get two out in one shorthop, but with the cstick, i can only get one and almost a second one, he starts the animation too late and hits the ground. Anyways, another way i've seen some people do it is to run towards the edge of the stage, and shield roll forward, and when the animation is over, you will be backwards right at the edge of the stage.

fridayslobster

Smash Apprentice
thanks everyone, i will just keep practicing and use the teqniques you have all suggested and see which one works best.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
dude hold his jump and DI the way u want more. make sure ur stick isnt facing the other way when u jump so u dont do Fairs.

Jarabe 93

Smash Apprentice
i kno how to RAR, but its after that when i have the trouble. I need to keep going farther w/out turning forwards. I know I can just do the sort of same thing as an RAR but I dont get very far.
Jump while facing backwards with control stick neutral, move towards desired direction, put stick back in neutral, press jump again, repeat. As long as you press jump BEFORE moving the control stick, you will stay facing the same way. Just release the control stick when you press jump, and DI after you input the jump. Repeat for all midair jumps if needed.

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
You can jump with X while leaving the control stick to neutral, then slide your thumb to A as you move the control stick back. You should do a rising bair as you move away a good amount. But remember that D3's jumps don't move him super far (he's kinda fat)

Buuman

Smash Ace
Jump while facing backwards with control stick neutral, move towards desired direction, put stick back in neutral, press jump again, repeat. As long as you press jump BEFORE moving the control stick, you will stay facing the same way. Just release the control stick when you press jump, and DI after you input the jump. Repeat for all midair jumps if needed.
This is 100% true. Listen to Jarabe. This is essentially the way to do it.

Top Bottom