• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Question about a mewtwo move

Chunn

Smash Rookie
I was messing around with his shadow ball, and started to play with the recoil of it, propelling mewtwo around. I figured out that while facing an opponant at mid/long range, you can jump, and at the height of mewtwo's 1st jump, flick away from the opponant and fire a full charge shadow ball. From there you will be rocketed toward your opponant, my usual tactic with this is to hold sheild, slide into them while facing away, and grab them. If your timing is good, you can even grab them while they're behind you while sliding. You can do alot of things from this backwards pseudo wavedash, including edge hog on a flat stage from a mile away. Was wondering if others have made that discovery. Is it situational? Yes, can it be predicted? After the first time, of course. Is it practical? Probably not, since it takes a full SBC. But if you add this to your arsenal of mindgames, it's another way to mix things up. I've already pulled this off on a friend of mine who plays a mean Dr Mario, it just takes good timing, and for me it's a plausible way to close on an enemy when you've played out the "WD to D-tilt then combo". If no one has coined this move yet, I'll keep in the tradition of mewtwo being a ninja, and coin it SBND, Shadow Ball Ninja Dash.

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
the projectility of a full charged SB rarely has its uses.. aside from a situation where you are tyring to recover without a second jump or going under final destination.

as for on stage boost and surprises... not so much

it comes with the reason that mewtwo tugs back, and does this whole animation when he shoots out a fullcharged SB. the animation dead gives it away. its not even hard for the enemy to make precautions against a SB that is launched at him.

the projectility and minor delays only adds to killing any surprise factor that exist.

though it looks fun... im afraid application is near nil

Chunn

Smash Rookie
I suppose it's difficult for me to see the long term value of a move, since I only play with a group of people who don't tech much (especially wavedashing). So for me it's plausible as a surprise move because they don't have as large of an arsenal or as quick of reflexes as pro's do. Just trying to explore mewtwo's abilities as much as I can.

quak

Smash Champion
lots of us are trying hard to maximize the potentials of all of mewtwo's moves

confusion and disable are both becoming slightly more recognized.
Seconded, im playing with tech chasing with confusion (as in d-throw, techchase, confusion, techchase, somethin else), but disable still only works with fatties for me.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
I use this on the edge, believe it or not.

Usually, after you sweetspot or something with teleport, you can ledgehop away from the edge so that you're opponent can't hit you, then reverse-fire your shadow ball, sliding back onto the edge and behind them within perfect grab range. I use it all the time.

BTW FASTFOX PLAYS MEWTWO WTF.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
Well I just think that it is a waste to fire a full charged SB and just slide. Those babys can kill at 70%!!! Use it for that insted. Ther whole idea for propulsion does work, however there are just so many better uses.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
You're thinking one-sided.

Mewtwo has great kill moves. The SB isn't his only strong point. Even if you shoot your shadow ball somewhere that's not at the opponent, you can always claw or throw your enemy to his death. Even his tilts work great.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
what?? All he has is throws. Thats it. Perhaps a Ftilt if you ropponent doesn't know how to DI but that is it. SB is a great killer all im tryin to say is that don't throw your SB away like candy, use it for a finisher

Chunn

Smash Rookie
If the opponant is anything past short range (f-tilt range) they'll sheild, dodge, jump, or roll to avoid a FC SB. The instances where you can kill with it against someone fast are relatively low, I get just as many if not more claw, smash down a edge guard, and high damage combo kills. Adding an indirect use of FC SB will play mind games too, if you use it right you can get them to stutter or rush into a FC SB to the face.

quak

Smash Champion
You're thinking one-sided.

Mewtwo has great kill moves. The SB isn't his only strong point. Even if you shoot your shadow ball somewhere that's not at the opponent, you can always claw or throw your enemy to his death. Even his tilts work great.
throws and fair kill at much higher percents than the sb does esp on fast fallers.

70%+ Vs. 120%+

IMO the only time to throw a shadowball solely for the momentum of it, is a last ditch recovery effort.

Having that fully charged ball is just too good, either you hit them for 25 damage, or you chase it and get at least a grab for it, whereas the using the propulsion to mindgames them can only do the latter, some of the time.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I agree the only real reason i could see this working is like a last ditch recovery attempt, i'd love to see that work though haha imagine the look on someones face as you propel your self backwards into a teleported sweetspot... SURPRISE!!! :)

Top Bottom