• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quarter Circle DI Help

khaleesi

Smash Rookie
I know there are already tons of di threads out there, but I've read many of them and still don't quite understand quarter circle di. I've heard that using quarter circles are easier to do and more optimal than tapping or smashing your control stick for sdi, but can someone explain why? and also how and when to use this di? like for example, if i get hit by a fox upsmash or a forward smash or a drill, should i use this di? what inputs would i do to execute good quarter circle di for each situation? thank you very much.

Massive

Smash Champion
Quarter circle DI is useful for hitting multiple DI inputs during hitstun. If you're SDIing to the top-left, for example, you can't SDI straight up the next frame as the change between positions is not large enough, but you can SDI to the top-right, which ends up making a quarter circle on the stick.

The best use for SDI I can think of is surviving fox's uthrow > uair. If you SDI the first hit of uair out of range of the second hit, you won't get killed off the top. You can also use SDI to tech ledgeguard attempts and a slew of other things I probably wouldn't think about since I'm a puff main.

The gold standard of info on DI, aSDI, and SDI is still this 11 year old thread on smashboards, take a look.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
SDI is huge for escaping combos in general at high level. There are tons of situations where falco can follow up on good DI, but not SDI plus good DI, for example.

khaleesi

Smash Rookie
I understand what sdi is i'm more confused on the quarter circle motions and how to do them. (how fast, where to start and end if getting hit by a certain move, etc.) thanks for the replies!

Kadano

Magical Express
I understand what sdi is i'm more confused on the quarter circle motions and how to do them. (how fast, where to start and end if getting hit by a certain move, etc.) thanks for the replies!
Maybe the explanations in my video on Teching and advanced DI that has a part about multiple SDI might help you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkdPVUlrSOo&t=15m

If something in there confuses you, I recommend watching my general video on hitlag and DI first, and maybe the entire advanced DI video linked above.

Top Bottom