• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

QD -> Usmash vs Dacus?

Chef2

Smash Apprentice
Which one should I use?
It's situational. QD usmash starts nine frames later (plus can't JC it until the third frame of travel) but covers more distance and can be turned around. DACUS doesn't have the QD start up/travel frames but covers less distance.

My view is both moves have limited niche uses outside of a random mix up. If you manage to fthrow/bthrow someone onto a platform, you can often DACUS and charge underneath, waiting for a tech (or no tech). Wario ware platforms are a nice height to throw onto, so they set this up nicely. I've also had some nice set ups on yoshis island if you can boot them onto the low side edge when it slants. Works when it's flat too, but your UpSmash won't cover as much of the platform. You can also QD UpSmash in these situations if you need more distance.

On mid weights (namely Mario) nair can almost combo into DACUS (with no di or di in) around 50-60. This can kill Mario off the top with no/bad di or a low ceiling stage.

Fthrow (bthrow slightly worse) can almost combo into DACUS on ~50% mid weights, lower% lightweights, but they'll always have time to jump or they can just di away. Your usually better off just fairing, nairing or QD->turnaround Bairing in these situations.

Getting long but lastly a good use for QD->UpSmash is if you happen to smack the opponent far across the stage and they land near the edge, sliding across the stage with a QD UpSmash follow up can cover most tech options. Even better, if they miss the tech and are really close to the edge and you shove them off, the UpSmash is free.

Top Bottom