• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

QA Techniques

Darrman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darrman
3DS FC
4785-6377-6170
I was just messing around with Pikachu in Training Mode, and I found some techniques. When on the ground, QA down and you'll just stand there. Might be good for mindgaming. If diagonally angled down on the ground, Pika makes a shorter movement then a straight left or right. It could be useful for fake-outs.

Interestingly, if Pikachu does a midair QA into the ground, he "wavedashes" onwards instead of stopping dead. It isn't like a Melee wavedash, but interesting nonetheless.

If the Pika mains here can see any use in these findings, feel free to reply! I just second him, and might not be able to see the potential in these moves.

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
as a frequent quick attack user, I can confirm that Quick attack is indeed a frustrating move for opponents since it can be hard to counter except for shielding frequently. overall, Quick attack is great for mind games, but also for positioning and some stage advantage. quick attacking behind your opponent is always fun, unless they expect it and punish you.

you can also QA into your opponent which might lead to a follow up attack in the air, since they will be sent up in to the air.

Last edited:

Consort

Smash Rookie
NNID
Consort
I'm not a Pikachu main per se but I've been playing a lot of him for the Conquest table this week, and I can definitely say that the QA's wavedash-like effect is a big part of my Pikachu game. Especially when coming in from directly above an opponent, a diagonal QA to dodge the usmash/utilt/SH aerial gives you a few options with good reflex: With a short-hop aerial, taking advantage of the wavedash allows for a safer second part of QA that leaves nice spacing for an fsmash/Utilt/Usmash/Thunder. If they go for the Usmash themselves, and they have a wide Usmash arc (like Link) then going straight down gives you time to set up for an attack after their attacks clear. If they try to shield/Sidestep, coming in hot with the QA and using the psuedo-wavedash to slide through (or if they screw the timing up, even hit them, which given the speed of QA is likely if they shield late or if they go for a utilt/usmash/sh aerial too slowly) puts you on the reverse side of them for a followup ftilt/dsmash. And finally if they just try to clear out and not chase (common with Rosalina, MegaMan, etc) you can use the second wavedash diagonally into their retreat for the damage/followup as well.

Essentially for the second portion of the QA you want to come in diagonally and plan to hit the ground just before them(resulting in a relatively safer landing) relying on the slide to take you in for the hit (if I'm not mistaken, during this period you slide very close to the ground with a hitbox similar to that of Pikachu's crouch, meaning even some predicts can miss as Pikachu slides under for the hit.)

This is just from my experience the last few days in For Glory though, still need to test some more.

Cows

Smash Apprentice
I was messing around in training as well, and I noticed that if you QA from just before the center of the stage (haven't tested it on all stages) toward the very edge of the stage, the "wave dash" effect should carry you off the stage. The animation the ends instantly, and you can use any aerial attack and you also get your jump. From what I've seen it is the closest thing pika has to a Brawl QAC. Not to mention it is a great way to get to the other side of the stage in a hurry to hit your opponents off stage. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Consort

Smash Rookie
NNID
Consort
Thank you for mentioning that. I've had that happen by accident a few times (leading to friends calling BS as they believed I should've been in recovery frames after the QA, honestly I thought they were right too) but knowing how it works now I can implement it in my strategies.

Cows

Smash Apprentice
Also QAC is backas long as you land on a slope or hit the ledges as i described before (the edge of platforms work the same way). So my recommended counterpic, if you want to QAC, would be lylat. This stage is almost always rocking back a forth. Thus making the entire stage a slope and you should be able to QAC anywhere on the stage. Another interesting tid bit about lylat is if you quick attack straight down on either ends of the stage Pikachu will slide off the edge and either grab it or do and attack depending on your input. Lylat = mindgames galore... hope this helps.

Top Bottom