• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PYP mafia! Game over!

Maven89

Smash Master
I think Poisoner completely negates the Jailer and Rolecop is relatively weak. While it helps mafia find PRs, it doesn't protect them from a track or cop or jail.

Poisoner is only useful if we didn't get jailer and it doesn't affect the bus driver. I'm not sure I want to gamble on that.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Poisoner - 1 (Z25)
1 Shot Flip Hider - 1 (Z25)
Roleblocker - 1 (Thirdkoopa)
Rolecop - 0
Disguiser - 0

We need more votes and I hope by the end of the night we get them since deadline is tomorrow.

I think Poisoner completely negates the Jailer and Rolecop is relatively weak. While it helps mafia find PRs, it doesn't protect them from a track or cop or jail.

Poisoner is only useful if we didn't get jailer and it doesn't affect the bus driver. I'm not sure I want to gamble on that.
Reasonable enough. I'm leaning towards Rolecop but I'd like to hear mod confirmation about the Bus Driver first.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
wait

since the town has to vote on the mafia skills

doesn't that mean

whoever doesn't vote

is mafia?????????

does this game solve itself LOL

Maven89

Smash Master
Vote: roleblocker

If poisoner doesn't work with bus driver, I think we should really discuss if they gave us jailer or not.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
the whole point of PyP is that town and Mafia have to decide which are the least worst options for them to deal with.

Anyways, take a seat, Pokechu Now that you're here, I'd love to hear your thoughts on what roles you'd go with
Yeeeet!! I just didn't know mafia could vote as well

I thought they couldn't, which was silly in hindsight but this is my first PyP :laugh:

Lemme ponder about these roles

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Yeeeet!! I just didn't know mafia could vote as well

I thought they couldn't, which was silly in hindsight but this is my first PyP :laugh:

Lemme ponder about these roles
PyP is super fun! It's nice too because we have a lot to go on for Day 1. Look at what we posted as well if ya want help pondering since we've already had a head start on some discussion.

Maven89

Smash Master
Roleblock + Rolecop is probably what I'm going to wind up voting for. The other 3 options are awful, unless poisoner doesn't work with bus driver and we were not given a jailer.

however, I find it hard to believe we'd get a cop or a bus driver.. The cop can clear or catch players in a way a tracker can not. Bus driver is so swingy that I find it hard to believe mafia would pick that. Jailer is obviously a really strong role, but if I was scum I think i'd gamble on that instead of bus driver. I'd rather have my kill block than redirected to myself.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
From first impression I'd assume the mafia game us a Bus Driver, the 2-shot vig, and a jailer. I don't think we'd be lucky enough to get a cop, LOL, and the jailer is more safe for the mafia; if there was a town tracker, they can track power roles and kind of become a cop in that sense (as long as one didn't target the night kill LOL). But with a town jailer, they could actually end up blocking power roles.

Maven89

Smash Master
From first impression I'd assume the mafia game us a Bus Driver, the 2-shot vig, and a jailer. I don't think we'd be lucky enough to get a cop, LOL, and the jailer is more safe for the mafia; if there was a town tracker, they can track power roles and kind of become a cop in that sense (as long as one didn't target the night kill LOL). But with a town jailer, they could actually end up blocking power roles.
which mafia powers would you recommend?

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
At least, this would be how I'd consider it; the bus driver as well could get in the way of other town PRs (provided they can mess with the vig :laugh:)

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Not disguised, so there's the roleblocker, role cop, the poisoner, and hider

The role cop might be a pain because they could get lucky and 360 no scope our power roles

The poisoner negates the jailer LOL

I'd say the roleblocker for sure, it's not that strong; it negates power roles but it at least doesn't get rid of the player themselves

vote: roleblocker

For the second, I'm a bit undecided, since the hider can really mess with the town. I think knowing flips is crucial, that's partially what drove the town to the ground in Mutton Mafia imo

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
If we were lucky enough to get a jailer, I wouldn't want to waste it by adding a poisoner.

It's either role cop or hider, then; I'd prefer role cop but my main problem with the hider in Mutton Mafia was that most the town was inactive already so it made it that much harder. I think town could pull off either, but role cop is probably safer.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
might as well put my second vote down

vote: role cop

I was glancing at some of the posts before but I hadn't really read through the thread, I'll do that and see if my stance changes

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Not to mention that they get to use the flip hider whenever they want whether it be a lynch or a nightkill.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
read the thread, would be neat to know if poisoner works with bus driver

stance didn't change

Maven89

Smash Master
So thinking it over, I'm pretty sure Poisoner will not work against a bus driver, I think the "block" aspect just means a jailer cannot target the killer to block him. I still want Giraffe to clarify.

I don't want a poisoner. It's possible they didn't give us a jail keep, but I find it hard to believe. They could have given us a jail keeper then decided to push for poisoner. Poisoner, and Disguised, are the only two hard counters they get to town roles.

Although, maybe they did give us Vig, Bus Driver, and Jail keep, to avoid us having any alignment checks. That makes a lot of sense, the more I think about it. In which case Disguised mafia would be the best role to give. However, I don't want us to give them disguised. I don't want to give them any of the hard counters to our roles, because we cannot know what roles they gave us.

Rolecop + RB are our best bets

Vote: Rolecop

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Z ain't looking so good with his votes on poisoner and hider '3'

LOL

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
huh

this game has night PMs

neat

just thought I'd point this out, in case no one else noticed

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Though, we should also be careful, because information could be taken to our graves. The main important thing is to make sure we keep Town informed, since we're the uninformed Majority

If the Town PR's can get in contact with each other though... it'll be a good time.

...also Vig don't privately claim to anyone please lol.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
If we do get an investigative role, it's nice that the investigator can talk to confirmed town at night.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
if it's tracker, that's not necessarily a confirmation, unfortunately. Just a quick reminder (though if it's a no visit, it's probably pretty close)
Yeah, because if they picked a tracker, the mafia only have to worry about the nightkiller being tracked. Its good for late game though.

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
Does Bus Driver only work in the Night Phase or also work for the Two shot Day Vigilante?
Bus affects night only.

giraffelasergun giraffelasergun Does the Busdriver count as a layer of protection that the Poisoner can use?

If so, my vote will probably go to RBer and Rolecop. Still willing to hear the rest of the town out.
Busdriver out prioritizes Poisoner, if mafia poison kill Giraffelasergun, but busdriver swaps giraffelasergun and a different player, that other player would die.

D

Deleted member

Disguised and Hider are the only two I DEFINITELY am goimg to say no to. The former doesn't just completely invalidate two potential Town roles, but it can give us straught up misinformation and lead to a mislynch. And even then, it's going to be a lot of wine that any positive Tracker results are basically useless.
The latter just straight up takes away information from us, there's no benfit to choosing it and it's the only role that's guaranteed to be effective.

So, between Role Cop, Roleblocker and Poisoner...
Role Cop is probably the "weakest". Sure, it can sniff out PRs but it can't directly mess with them.
Roleblocker isn't as strong without Role Cop but the combo of Role Cop+Blocker could lead to Mafia just silently shutting down a power role. Still, if used correctly, it can shut down any of the power roles so it's more of a Hard to Master type of role.
Poisoner is like Disguiser in that it directly counters a power role, but it's just one role and it doesn't completely negate it(Jailkeeper can still block the other Mafia PR). And even then, at least two PRs are guaranteed to not be affected by it.

So I'll go with

Vote: Rolecop

Vote: Poisoner

These two roles don't really synergize with each other and are the least disruptive overall, regardless of our own Power Roles.

D

Deleted member

also this game is called pick your poison so that means we should pick poisoner, right?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Okay, this makes it a bit harder to choose and we need to have a legitimate discussion. Are we going to pick Poisoner and pray they didn't pick Jailer, or, are we going to pick Rolecop and pray they don't find out PR's too quickly?

@Shishœ Why Rolecop + Poisoner over Roleblocker + Poisoner?

D

Deleted member

Okay, this makes it a bit harder to choose and we need to have a legitimate discussion. Are we going to pick Poisoner and pray they didn't pick Jailer, or, are we going to pick Rolecop and pray they don't find out PR's too quickly?

@Shishœ Why Rolecop + Poisoner over Roleblocker + Poisoner?
I don't think Role Cop is that strong compared to Roleblock as its interference is indirect, meanwhile Roleblock has the potential to ruin any and all Power Roles.
But I'm not strong on either one either way, as long as Hider and Disguiser are out, and that seems to be the consensus so far.

Top Bottom