• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Purpose of dropping Metal Blades?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
As opposed to throwing them downwards in the air. What's the purpose of the Metal Blade drop? How do you set it up and what can you follow up with?

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
The only functional motions out of Z-Dropping are typically fading backwards with Lemons or going for Footstool->Zdrop->Hard Knuckle as a true combo and spike near the ledge. Both are situational. Sometimes just Z-Dropping instead of throwing downwards can be good though because the Metal Blade falls slower and can also plant itself back in the ground.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
As opposed to throwing it down, Z-Dropping has no animation. Therefore, you can act immediately after it.

I find it a good tool for edge guarding those who recover low. Drop the metal blade off the edge. They'll try to avoid the metal blade, so you can set them up for a Back Air.

Last edited:

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
There's lots of uses besides what was already mentioned.

-You can run at your opponent, jump over them, and drop it as you pass over them.
-You can drop it and air dodge at the same time.
-I've (accidentally) dropped a blade about full jump height 2 character lengths to the side of my opponent, and as I was falling I moved over and hit them with Bair, and it knocked them right into the falling blade.
-If you use Rush and your really high up, as your falling drop the blade and fall along side it. It can protect you or hit them leading to a follow up.
-By fluidly dropping it, attacking, then grabbing it mid air, you can put much more pressure on your opponent and really psyche them out.
-It can lead to combos. Especially if you pick it up off the ground with an aerial attack and drop it on your opponent if they are in range, or they dodged your aerial.

Honestly, you should get into the habit of dropping them a lot just to see what uses you can find out of them. You'd be surprised some of the things that can happen.

Last edited:

Blue24

Smash Cadet
Parts of my game started to improve the more I Z-dropped. It just opens up more options.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
as mentioned before you can throw it out of the stage and it can stage spike your opponent, also I always do this after my opponent loses a stock: grab the metal blade then when the respawned character gets in the stage you shoot a crash bomb to them then use rush coil to get high and then jump another time in the air and if your opponent shield then z drop the metal blade and use down air and sometimes you will catch again the metal blade or sometime both the metal blade and down air will hit the opponent and finally the crash bomb may shield break your opponent

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
As opposed to throwing it down, Z-Dropping has no animation. Therefore, you can act immediately after it.

I find it a good tool for edge guarding those who recover low. Drop the metal blade off the edge. They'll try to avoid the metal blade, so you can set them up for a Back Air.
Ah Jehtt, I remember playing against you in a reddit tournament. You were actually a really good megaman, I think i've improved since then though! Once I get my net going again we need to play some more MM mirror matches!

As for z-dropping the blade, I've actually stage-spiked people with dropping that alone. Other uses are when people are rushing you hard you short hop zdrop it in front of them and you can tag them with one lemon into a grab. Also, reading air dodges and dropping it while you're literally inside them causes more than 10% in damage I believe and it sets up for bair or uair

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
I think I remember reading an in game tip on a loading screen that using the metal blade as an item (throwing it into the ground and picking it up to use) does more damage than just throwing it as a standard b special move.

MknBcnPancakez

Smash Rookie
I've been looking around to figure out how to z-drop the metal blade using just the basic pro controller setup, I use the grab button and it only throws it forward. I know how to z-drop normally but the metal blade is kind of new since I don't usually play mega man but I've been trying to main him recently. How do you z-drop the metal blade?

I've been looking around to figure out how to z-drop the metal blade using just the basic pro controller setup, I use the grab button and it only throws it forward. I know how to z-drop normally but the metal blade is kind of new since I don't usually play mega man but I've been trying to main him recently. How do you z-drop the metal blade?
I figured it out nevermind

Top Bottom