• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Purple Pikmin Abuse

Tristan Fattest of All Kids

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I'm playing my older brother who is a god at Brawl (or maybe I'm just bad.) w/e.
He's like a two-time tourney winner, and for the first time I finally beat him.

My brother plays a mean MK, so I was astounded when I two stocked him. I consistently beat him with Olimar. He then switched to his main, Pit and I lost (arrow spam,) but I'm thinking if I actually didn't suck, then maybe my idea could end up being as cheap as an arrow spam or just awesome.

It's with what I'd like to call "the fat tactic.":
Move around and keep drawing Pikmin, until you get a purple pikmin and kill off the rest.

You should now have one purple pikmin. Arials are cheap, and well-spaced ones will do a lot of damage.

The abuse starts when you repeat the process and draw 2 purple Pikmin. Not only can you arial twice without waiting for the first to come back, but you can abuse the down-smash.

With no more than two purple Pikmin, you can now abuse "the fat tactic."

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Within 8,000 miles of you, unless you're in space.
This could be useful, it's really situational, though.

Personally, I like pikmin throw a lot. Thus, I'd want some whites too.

The usefulness also depends on how much you're willing to sacrifice range. With RYB pikmin, you have much more range on many attacks then the purple.

The last thing I'm not sure about, but would the uair still hit multiple times? If not, then that would be another disadvantage.

I think you have a good idea here, though. I think you could adapt it to other pikmin to suit the situation, or your playstyle, too.

Tristan Fattest of All Kids

Smash Journeyman
It's not as hard as many of you may think to draw purple Pikmin. It is surely tedious to draw them, but it is also easy enough to do so you would not be damaged by your opponent. I will try uploading a video of just how easy it is soon enough, or maybe someone with good spacing could upload one too.

arrex

Smash Cadet
hmm, lol...
well i just use random pikmin, whatever comes up i am happy to utilize.
but i prefer the white ones when i throw. :D

Mama

Smash Ace
Lol. I love the name "Fat Tactic". It sounds situational though. Its good that you realize the different Pikmin have different effects though. What you should do is expand this tactic of selective picking. A good thing to do could be tossing all the Pikmin you haven't trained with (in your case it would be everything thats not purple lol) and utilizing what they're best at. Example : You have whites and purples, keep jumping around to keep an eye on the order of the Pikmin and blow the whistle to reorder them. Then you can toss your white ones and spam the fatties as they come up.

This should actually be in the Olimar forum.

Nemireck

Smash Cadet
Pit's arrow-spam isn't that tough to dodge as Olimar... Short-Hop, Duck, Short-Hop, Duck, Short-Hop, Duck, Roll, DSmash! Admittedly, it takes a lot of anticipating your opponents reaction and aiming of the arrows, but the pattern usually works, if not, you just need to do a couple Short-Hops before your next duck. The main focus is spacing your Fair to hit Pit without him prioritizing your attack. Pit's main weakness is sending him upward, so don't even bother trying to knock him to the sides, spam Olimar's U-Smash whenever you get the chance, especially since Pit doesn't have a strong Dair to counter Olimar's juggle-game.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
...You have whites and purples, keep jumping around to keep an eye on the order of the Pikmin and blow the whistle to reorder them...
I'm wondering: All of his air and smashes bring the front pikmin to the back, right?
Do you think spamming fair or another attack may be better at ordering 'mins as desired?

I've used Olimar a bit, but I haven't tried selective picking yet, so idk.

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
this has happened to me in some situtations, your pikmin die except 1 or 2 purple pikmin and your ariels suddly become much more effective :) but some of your other moves lack because of it. (anotherwords always having 6 pikmin isent always best) sometimes if your left with 1 of a certain type its best to just spam that attack, like if you only have 2 blue left then you should spam throws, and purple you should just do nothing but ariel attacks. the only problem is if your opponent notices they will take advantage of your weak points and avoid your strengths. Furthermore if you just have 2 types its much easyer to manage and you can switch between them as needed... switch faster and easyer if your left with only 2 types. i suppose depending on the character you might want to just keep so many of certain pikmin instead of drawing more, when the situation arises.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm sorry, what was so unattractive with the Brawl Character Discussion section (with its own sub-section for Pikmin & Olimar) that you decided to shy away from it?

Seriously, people, it's there for a reason.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
I'm sorry, what was so unattractive with the Brawl Character Discussion section (with its own sub-section for Pikmin & Olimar) that you decided to shy away from it?

Seriously, people, it's there for a reason.
I'm sorry, what was it that made you think you were a mod Yuna? Or better yet why are every one one of your posts condescending and sarcastic?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm sorry, what was it that made you think you were a mod Yuna? Or better yet why are every one one of your posts condescending and sarcastic?
When have I ever claimed to be a mod?

And also, not all my psots are condescending and/or sarcastic. The majority of them are, however. And, really, the Character Specific section is listed right below the Tactical Section. Either people are blind or they're ignoring it for no reason.

It's there for a good reason. People should start using it. I'm not a mod myself but guess what the mods do when they stumble upon threads like these in Tactical/General? They lock them and tell people to go to the Character-specific section.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
You don't have to be a mod to know where threads belong, and you don't have to be a mod to find those sections, either. They're as easy to find as this section. This section receives a lot of misplaced character-specific threads, and it gets old.

Anyway, OP, while it's good to recognize which pikmin are good in which situations, specifically using only one type of pikmin is limiting your options, not expanding them. There are times when purple hits are terrific, and other times when you might want longer range or DoT. Know when and how to use each pikmin, and being able to keep an eye on their order to do so, is an ability you'll develop over time, and this is a good step in that direction.

Consider, for example, rather than fighting so hard to get only purples, being careful not to throw purples, instead. This allows you to use any non-purples you have for DoT and also reserves your most powerful hitters, the purples, for if your opponent chooses to rush you while you're low on pikmin.

There are a lot of good tactics to use the various pikmin, and while this is certainly one approach, I would be careful in how much you limit yourself. You should never seek to limit your options, but rather to understand when and how to use each option you have. Hope this helped.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
When have I ever claimed to be a mod?

And also, not all my psots are condescending and/or sarcastic. The majority of them are, however. And, really, the Character Specific section is listed right below the Tactical Section. Either people are blind or they're ignoring it for no reason.

It's there for a good reason. People should start using it. I'm not a mod myself but guess what the mods do when they stumble upon threads like these in Tactical/General? They lock them and tell people to go to the Character-specific section.
So then why is it necessary to be a jerk to these members instead of just being polite and having a mod move it there. Instead you're a douche as usual to new people. Stop ruining these forums for everyone else with your less than civil posts.

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
Enjoy recovering with two Purple Pikmin in your lineup.
Tis the only flaw...

I think it's a good idea, but here's a better one: just play well normally, tossing out pikmin and attacking/comboing until you have one/two purples back to back in your lineup of 5, and then let all hell break loose. Works for me. Until I get knocked off stage that is :laugh:

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
To expand on what I said earlier, it looks like the whistle randomly reorders the pikmin, while other attacks bring the next one into line. Also, I thought repeated whistle-blowing was slower than fair, but I think I was wrong on that.

I don't like the idea of only carrying two purple pikmin. I would rather ALWAYS carry six, and just practice reordering.

*takes Yuna's correct and slightly abrasive advice.*
*heads to Olimar thread*

EDIT: uhwuhhh? It's here, too. I'm officially confused. *shrug*

Enigmatics

Smash Rookie
I don't understand why you had to attack Yuna publicly, Misto. You seem to value tact in these forums. Would it not be tactful to stop practicing character assasination?

I like the idea of using purple pikmen to do aerials. I would also like to see an efficient way to pluck them while under attack.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
I don't understand why you had to attack Yuna publicly, Misto. You seem to value tact in these forums. Would it not be tactful to stop practicing character assasination?
Because Yuna is not a positive member within the community and has on a regular basis made new and uninformed members feel extremely unwelcome and ousted for merely the crime of not knowing game mechanics nearly as good (supposedly) as he does. It needs to be addressed publicly so they do not feel like they are being brow-beaten by a less than civil member. Its not character assassination. It's calling someone out who acts in a manner which is not constructive to the message board.

*takes Yuna's correct and slightly abrasive advice.*
*heads to Olimar thread*

EDIT: uhwuhhh? It's here, too. I'm officially confused. *shrug*
I did what should have been done and informed a moderator to properly address the situation.

Top Bottom