• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Punishing Tech Rolling behind Ganon from Raptor

genus

Smash Rookie
I'm sure a few of the more ace players here have allready figured this out, but in the name of brevity I'm going to post it anyways.

So you've landed Ganondorf's amazing sideb, and you're facing a medium/large sized character. You know they're not going to just lie there and take the hit from your sparta kick, or dtilt, wizard kick, whatever...they will tech roll the raptor upon landing. They need to decide a direction, and at first most players will roll behind you, wary of a followup from another raptor, or possibly a wizard's kick at higher percents. Now, everyone knows how to deal with rolling in front of Ganon...you close the gap and punish as you see fit, with a shorthopped dair, another overb, etc, etc, etc. What most players don't realize is that the roll behind you is much more punishable then the roll ahead of you.

If you anticipate a roll behind you...fsmash in that direction using the cstick for the most rewarding thing you've ever done in Brawl. We all know just how powerful Ganon's fsmash can be, and you just landed it on an unexpecting opponent. Sometimes you'll be able to charge the smash for a stronger hit, but don't push your luck.

Your opponent's reaction to this is amazing. They'll almost never roll behind you, allowing you to punish with Ganon's arsenal of approaching moves. After getting smacked up from that, the next time they'll probably tech behind you again...anticipate it. If you biff the fsmash, most characters won't be able to punish you if they roll forward. Care should be taken against projectile users of course, who Ganon has trouble with anyways, but otherwise it's hard to actually punish him for the miss. A rare few won't tech at all, expecting you to fsmash and hoping they'll score a hit while you're still recovering from the lag of the attack...but if you suspect that will happen (generally only short characters risk it), dsmash to catch them off guard, or even try working some tilt/jab magic.

Anything to add?

robman1

Smash Cadet
Good Stuff. I've also found that after the sideB you can roll forward OR back and use an immediate wizards kick. Won't always land but its at least another option for post sideB (which is great just difficult to follow up).

Mr. Trouble Maker

Smash Rookie
I never thought of using fsmash. I always use dsmash because its deceptive. After the sideb i charge dsmash making it look like i was trying to make the first kick hit, but all the while my real intentions were landing the second. Its cool. Imma give the fsmash a try next time i play.

Top Bottom