• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Punishing moves with Dark Pit

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Hi! I've decided to use Dark Pit as one of my five characters as I really like the way he plays, and I'm trying to figure out what I can do as dark pit to punish moves like dash attacks or tilts on shield. I thought it'd be a good idea to create a thread where we could discuss how to punish moves in a meta that revolves around things like good dash attacks and generally aggressive play.

As I'm playing online and offline, I'm realizing that my OoS options are the following depending on the move I'm punishing:

Shield Grab mostly, but if they're past my grab range...
Dash Grab
Dash Attack
Jab
Forward Tilt
Down Tilt
Neutral Air
Forward Air?
Side Special?

I don't know which would be good for which scenario yet though, or if any of these are non legitimate punish options and I'm just running into people that don't play a strong defensive game. What are other people's thoughts on punishing moves with Dark Pit?

Also, if this doesn't warrant its own thread, please remove. Sorry if I'm causing any problems. >_<

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Fair is a bit too slow, and Dtilt is just outclassed by Ftilt in every way.

Utilt matches Ftilt in damage, but the range is shorter then Ftilt. Though Utilt sweetspots right next to you while Ftilt does at max range, and there's a potential follow-up on Utilt.

Usmash and Dsmash could also work, though Usmash has trouble hitting shorter characters and is a bit less instant facing the opponent. Dair is also good when facing away.

Coffee™

I need it....
Hi! I've decided to use Dark Pit as one of my five characters as I really like the way he plays, and I'm trying to figure out what I can do as dark pit to punish moves like dash attacks or tilts on shield.
I'm guessing Little Mac?

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I'm guessing Little Mac?
Yoshi, ZSS, Little Mac, and other dash attacks like those.

Yoshi and ZSS more than Little Mac actually, since they seem to either recover faster or go way further >_>

Tilts also refers to a lot of characters, but little mac is one of them, yes!!

Last edited:

Coffee™

I need it....
Yoshi, ZSS, Little Mac, and other dash attacks like those.

Yoshi and ZSS more than Little Mac actually, since they seem to either recover faster or go way further >_>

Tilts also refers to a lot of characters, but little mac is one of them, yes!!
Don't really have any good Yoshi experience to speak of but I can comment on the other two.

As far as Little Mac goes I'd think the key would be to stay patient, but mobile. He's fast and his attacks come out quickly but they require pretty precise positioning. Mixing up your movement really helps in the a lot in this matchup. His DA if spaced correctly on shield is pretty hard to punish as it seems Mac can generally jab before we can grab. We might be able to jab, but no idea without testing or frame data yet. Oos Dair is a good option if you see that your opponent tends to jab after DA often.

If he spaces incorrectly it's not that hard to punish, so not much more to add there. Just watch out for if they aim the DA to end up behind you. The same stuff more or less applies to Ftilt as well, but that's even safer than DA so you really have to be on your toes.

Also, for what it's worth Dark Pit's Fair is godlike at gimping Mac when you when him off stage so don't be afraid to go out there after him.

ZSS is more or less the same when it comes to her DA. It's less safe on block than Mac's though, so it's easier to punish.

Last edited:

Party Wolf

Smash Rookie
Is there a way to test punishes in training mode or do you need a 2nd person?

Last edited:

TechieWidget

Smash Rookie
His Side Special is not only a great punishing move, it is excellent for reflecting projectiles like Dedede's Gordos. Using his Down Special is effective in punishing players like Megaman's Side Smash.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
It is funny when a Mechakoopa bounces into DP's shield move, it just bounces its head against it until the shield is gone.

Top Bottom