• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Punishing Marth F Smash

Kiusthugs

Smash Apprentice
Hi, I've come to notice that I win 9/10 games against a friend. I'm more knowledgeable than him and my tech skill is greater as he doesn't bother putting in the time to practice. But what bothers me is that my defense/punish game is I guess bad. My friend uses marth, and I would to know from you guys how to punish her. Games shouldn't be this close despite our experiences. ESPECIALLY with her forward smash. I would shield a marth forward smash, wd oos to try and do something, but the marth would be able to come up with another forward smash to kill me

Sycorax

Smash Ace
You're going to have to be more specific with your question to get better advice. I can recommend a critical thinking technique to help you learn from your mistakes though:

"Remember to use the 5 whys and why-because analysis. The first is used to find the root of a problem, the second is used if there is more than one cause. For "5 Whys," Simply keep asking why.
I got knocked offstage why?
I was hit by falco's fsmash why?
I got hit by a dair why?
I was too close to my opponent why?
I have poor spacing. why?
I don't practice my spacing.

And now you have some thing to work on. Then ask yourself, "will this happen every time I have poor spacing?" If you said no, then there is more than one cause, and you should resort to a why-because graph. Wikipedia has good instructions so follow those.

An important thing to remember is to closely scrutinize yourself. Don't stop because you think you've found one cause, make sure to keep going to get the most out of these techniques."

Authored by NanchoMan

Rlagkrud

Smash Cadet
Hi, I've come to notice that I win 9/10 games against a friend. I'm more knowledgeable than him and my tech skill is greater as he doesn't bother putting in the time to practice. But what bothers me is that my defense/punish game is I guess bad. My friend uses marth, and I would to know from you guys how to punish her. Games shouldn't be this close despite our experiences. ESPECIALLY with her forward smash. I would shield a marth forward smash, wd oos to try and do something, but the marth would be able to come up with another forward smash to kill me
I'm assuming you also play marth. The best, guaranteed punish on Marth's fsmash is wavedash OOS and grab. If you're executing properly, it's unavoidable.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
You've got your main listed as Peach, so let me try to explain it from her perspective. Marth's going to want to fsmash you a lot as a means of putting you REALLY far, even at lower percentages. If you watch how Armada moves as Peach, it's nearly constant DDing and WDing. Just because they don't go too far compared to other characters, that doesn't make them worthless (look at PPMDs Falco for another good example of this concept). I don't remember the exact frame data, but Marth's fsmash is active something like frames 10-12 and he's not actionable for another...15 or 16 frames, I believe. This is your time to punish. Now, it's really hard to punish this on reaction, but if you can use your movement to make his fsmash just barely miss, then you should have time to move in and punish him with whichever of your aerials (save fair) you want to, or simply grab or dash attack him. Hope this helps.

Ladder

Smash Apprentice
you just have to be a little more frame tight.
Try wavedashing out of shield as soon as the hitstun ends and you should be able to punish it

Top Bottom