• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Punishing for Up+B Lag

metroid1117

Smash Master
The up+B lag I'm referring to is not when your opponent auto-sweetspots the edge and suffers landing lag when they touch the ground; it's referring to when you grab the edge and force the to land on the stage. (I do realize that some characters like G&W and Peach have little or minimal landing lag; I'm referring to characters like Mario, Marth, Luigi, etc.)

What is the best way to punish opponents in this situation? The following are what I think are the best ways; feel free to deliberate/discuss/debate these ideas.

At low %s, I think that you'd ideally want to attempt an edgehopped NAir (risky but possible, as shown by Rykoshet in a video some months ago).

At middle %s, I think you'd want to attempt an edgehopped DAir (if they are close enough) or edgehopped Aether just to tag some damage on them.

At high %s, I think you'd want to edgehop FAir or UAir, again depending on where they are. I'm not sure if BAir would work, but it would be pretty funny to hit someone back out if they were already grounded and suffering lag.

Anyways, what are you guy's thoughts? Right now my main forms of punishment are FAir and DAir, but I'm trying to remind myself to use NAir and Aether as well.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
The ledge trap. I tend to use up air, fair, and aether more than anything. Dair at that height has too much lag and ironically enough I forget to use ledgehopped nair a lot. Bair would work if they landed on the stage extremely close to the ledge but it would send them inward towards the stage. At extremely low %'s though this might not be a bad thing since the bair has a sliding property you can follow up on with a dash attack or something. Aether is not too bad but the move is so ridiculously easily DI'd that I rarley if ever get the full 22% anymore. You can also just hop back up or climb back up onto the stage and grab them/jab them/whatever. I use this at higher %'s with fair just to clear the immediate area then tend to KO with up air.

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
I use B-Airs for this, but not how this describes it. I just eyeball if he'll make it on the stage, about .5 seconds ahead of time, then I jump out of the ledge and do a B-Air, ensuring that he will not be pushed inward towards the stage. Otherwise, I use N-Airs, D-Airs, and Aethers. Getting a KO with U-Air in that situation is difficult; You either have to drop down to their level, or they have to rise up to your level.

Top Bottom