• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Punishing down throws?

Newtype

Smash Rookie
How does rob punish down throws from mario, falcon, etc? Do I just eat the upair strings?

D

Deleted member 269706

Falcon main here...our best player at our local scene is a ROB player so I have some decent input on this topic. From my experience (I play him winners semis/winners finals every few weeks) once ROB gets caught by Falcon or Mario, he gets comboed pretty hard. Both Falcon and Mario's uairs come out faster than ROBs nair, and his fair generally hits too high for to stop Falcon or Mario. With that said, if the Falcon player doesn't position himself properly, you will have a window to airdodge after the first uair and regain stage position (I'm not sure if this applies to Mario since the properties of his uair are different). Hope this helps

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Do I just eat the upair strings?
Pretty much, yeah.
The main struggle of being a R.O.B. main is that R.O.B. doesn't really have any "get-off-me" moves in the air, which, combined with his weight, large frame, and gravity, makes him very susceptible to being juggled and/or combo'd by characters like Mario and ZSS. The best thing you can do for these matchups is probably try to pick up a pocket character who can handle them better since they tend to be some of R.O.B.'s worst. Alternatively, if your determined to solo-maining R.O.B., the obvious solution is to just not let your opponent grab you, though I understand that's certainly a lot easier said than done.
Throws generally aren't things you "punish," anyhow...

Last edited:
Top Bottom