• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Punishing Charizard?

huxy

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, been having a couple of matches against Charizard playing as fox, and finding it a little difficult to know when to punish, specifically what unsafe things Charizards generally do that is punishable. I've only been getting punishes on like, tech roll reads, bad attempts at dair after being upthrowed. I'm having a difficult time punishing nair spam outside of spacing out of range, and would love some advice on mixing up recoveries to avoid edgeguards.

Thanks!

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
One thing I can say as a Charizard is that I usually end up doing the worst against Fox when I'm succombing to his pressure and holding my shield or attempting to jab. Charizard's moves for the most part have great start-up but terrible ending lag, so if you can either pressure Charizard into whiffing or bait him into a risky move (like grab, jab, dtilt, etc), you can usually get some good legwork going on him. Also, Charizard's aerials tend to be unsafe on shield, as far as I can tell. You want to keep Charizard above you, if at all possible.

A friend of mine who always plays fox has a habit of, when edgeguarding, jumping off the ledge to shine and snipe my jumps and glide. If Charizard goes into a glide, he sacrifices all his jumps, so if you can knock him away at that point, it's pretty much game over.

As for mixing up recoveries, depending on how the Charizard attempts to edgeguard you, it's often favorable to up B instead of side B onto the ledge. Aside from that, sweetspotting the ledge is definitely your friend, though it can be a little tricky with Fox's up B. My friend also does some fancy tricks on stages with defined walls off the edge, where he'll wall-jump and side B onto the stage. Give that a shot to mix it up.

huxy

Smash Rookie
One thing I can say as a Charizard is that I usually end up doing the worst against Fox when I'm succombing to his pressure and holding my shield or attempting to jab. Charizard's moves for the most part have great start-up but terrible ending lag, so if you can either pressure Charizard into whiffing or bait him into a risky move (like grab, jab, dtilt, etc), you can usually get some good legwork going on him. Also, Charizard's aerials tend to be unsafe on shield, as far as I can tell. You want to keep Charizard above you, if at all possible.

A friend of mine who always plays fox has a habit of, when edgeguarding, jumping off the ledge to shine and snipe my jumps and glide. If Charizard goes into a glide, he sacrifices all his jumps, so if you can knock him away at that point, it's pretty much game over.

As for mixing up recoveries, depending on how the Charizard attempts to edgeguard you, it's often favorable to up B instead of side B onto the ledge. Aside from that, sweetspotting the ledge is definitely your friend, though it can be a little tricky with Fox's up B. My friend also does some fancy tricks on stages with defined walls off the edge, where he'll wall-jump and side B onto the stage. Give that a shot to mix it up.

You say they're generally not safe on shield, does that mean I can usually nair out of shield? or upsmash oos?

Top Bottom